[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

tyvm Mr. for the prompt response. God bless & tyvm

If i swap to this will it help? cause my existing eva shield i believe is kinda good too. Pls advise tyvm

Last edited by Ironxbow on Nov 27, 2013, 7:15:18 AM
Hey guys,

would you level up with a 2hander and if so until around what lvl?
I'm still really enjoying this build, just hit lvl 70 waiting on my brother (lvl 60) to get his Lazy Pally to lvl 66, then we can do maps together.

Things have slowed down noticeably with my guy, specifically it's the Grim Reaper who keeps showing his ugly head every while in a once.

I believe it is time to begin upgrading my gear, but seriously do not know where to begin.

It has been suggested that I sell my belt and use those funds for the upgrade. Well my current dps with Heavy Strike/Multistrike/Melee Phys Dam/Added Fire Dam/Fast Atk = (6539 - 0.19 sec) With the belt removed = (5772 - 0.19 sec)

Current Stats: (next few passive should go where?)
Life: 2507
Mana: 446
DPS - 950.6
Heavy Strike/Multistrike/Added Fire Damage/Melee Phys Dam/Fast Atk - 6,539 dps
Leap Slam/Culling Strike - 649 dps
Spec. Throw/LMP/Fast Atk/Added Cold Dam -- 548.2 dps
Atk per sec: 1.94 (Deysnk's a ton)
Armour 1680 --> w/Determination 2469 but I use Grace
Phys Dam red: 22% goes to 30% w/Determination - but I use Grace
Chance to Evade: 37% w/Grace - It drops to 17% w/Determination on
Resists: 74% F -- 75% C & L - <-60%> chaos
Chance to Block Atk: 72%
Chance to Block Spells: 9%
Block & Stun Recovery: 9%
Life Leach = 8%
Life Regen = 45 sec
Mana Leach = 5%
Mana Regen = 7.8

Current frustrations:

* When in a Dock run - or the Library, Ebony Barracks, Imperial Gardens or the Hedge: Each of these locations are cake "UNTIL" --> I get surrounded with a "gaggle" of cold dogs hitting me all at once - or a foursome of those electricity chicks - yes even those chaos tadpoles will come together like a family encounter group, equally annoying are thos 3 snow ball throwing anorexic skellies all hitting me simultaneously. It is at that point I'm toast quickly.

On the other hand, I can go all day toe to toe with the General as well as that butter ball just before Piety with zero risk, go figure.....

Why, well that's the reason for the post, for a time I blamed the frequent rubber banding or thinking my swing speed is too fast, perhaps it is the game dysinc so many are talking about. Leap slam plays a huge role and is a life saver and I use it often. I hope nobody noticed I made no mention of poor play by me...:)

To Clarify:

I use Warlords mark lvl 60 - Molten Shell lvl 59 before each encounter (CWDT triggers other MS during fight)

My CWDT is lvl 3/35 - w/Enduring Cry lvl 6/34 - Temp Chains lvl 6/34 - Molten Shell lvl 8/32

Here is my gear:

My current finances:

Chisels: 13
Regal: 3
Chaos: 8
GCP: 5
Blessed: 8
Fusing: 15
Chrom: 10

My belt should easily bring in: 1 ex
This sword & Maul will help also:

Current Build:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUAAdwB5wSzBS0UIBRxGNsaMho4GtsbrRv6HRQhYCNNJd8oxTWSNug62D3iQDZAoEGqRHJI7kw1TdhPfVBHUWBT31b6WK9Y21nzW69gS2aebmlwfXKpdEF07XTxd9d4DXrvfNl_K4BWgW-ExITZhO-MdpBVm4OePJ65ogCkGacwp4SpbqmVrKqsr7T5tfK3076KvqfAGtaK18vdDew47g7wH_O-9zL3vvjr-tL8xQ==

Blood Drinker was the last passive I took, believing my gloves, belt and helm will be in the list of suggestions to switch out first.

The more specific the recommendations/suggestions/comments the better it will help this very old player, btw - I finally leveled higher than my age - (yes it was well after 60)

I really enjoy this build...

Ishkabibble
For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

USMC - Vietnam 1967 - 1968 - 1969
Last edited by Ishkabibble on Nov 27, 2013, 4:38:48 PM
"
Firderis wrote:

Hardcore is mostly about survive, and to progress you need healthpoints. Your plan is great, but I'm rather unsure how you shoud survive some situtations on a selffoundbase. I will try "my" build, which is mostly a copy of your one, and then give a feedback. If I survive long enough, hehe

I forgot about the supported gem. But overall I don't understand the "Cast when damage taken". Will you not use the "Enduring Charge" at all by yourself? And what does the "less dmg" means by the gem? Would I take less dmg? I understand the thing about the amount of dmg I have to take to get the gem work, but get not the point with "less" dmg. Does it mean, as an example, at lvl 5 I have to take dmg for over 700 points, but at the end it hits me only for 54% of the dmg?

1) We have had a player survive until level 85 HC as far as I know using the build in the guide. I think that's pretty good -- most players never even make it that far even in standard league. We do get quite a bit of life from the tree, but maxing out block takes priority.

2) Gems linked to CwDT are not possible to cast manually, they automatically 'proc' when you take the amount of damage listed on the gem, which scales up as the CwDT gem levels. That's why we keep it at level 1 or 2, to ensure that it goes off a lot, which in turn keeps all three endurance charges up. The "less damage" part does not come into play as we don't use CwDT to do damage, just defense. It does not mean you take less damage, it means that supported damage gems (say, ice nova) would do less damage than they would if they were not linked to CwDT.
"
MildlyClever wrote:
Hi Sovyn,

I got the curse on hit gem today and am thinking of linking it up with spectral throw and Warlord's mark.

Basically start fight from distance, use spectral throw, then wade in and spank the mob packs as usual with Heavy Strike :)

Edit: corrected name, linked up item. I used it now for a bit it seems fun - of course for now I got the slots for it, but I suspect curse on hit may not be viable at higher levels when you need the links for something else?

I am not sure if the check to cast the spell (curse in this case) is done for every mob hit by the throw or just once.

Hi MildlyClever. :)

Not a bad idea, someone mentioned using Cyclone for something similar. I believe it would check the curse on hit every time the skill hits a monster.

You would have room for this if you don't use Bringer of Rain. Auras on 3 L (shield), first CwDT array on gloves, second CwDT array on boots, manual enfeeble on weapon, attack skill on chest, your suggestion on helm, just for example.
"
Ironxbow wrote:
tyvm Mr. for the prompt response. God bless & tyvm

If i swap to this will it help? cause my existing eva shield i believe is kinda good too. Pls advise tyvm

Start by removing Unwavering Stance, that will make the biggest difference.

After that, you want to have a balance of damage reduction and evade. I suggest over 40% reduction and over 35% evade. Here's my current stats for example:

Whatever shield will balance it better. They are both good (because you are using Bringer of Rain, otherwise, not enough block).
"
Weidi wrote:
Hey guys,

would you level up with a 2hander and if so until around what lvl?

Hi Weidi. :)

In the really early levels it won't matter, but you would still lose the benefit of the 1-hand damage nodes we get right at the start. Once you start getting more than a couple block nodes I think it would be silly not to use a shield. :)

We can do just as much damage as an average 2-hander build anyway. A friend of mine has a 2-hander melee build well invested into 2-handed and sword damage nodes and my lazy pally does about the same damage as he does. We are both self found and the same level, coincidentally. It's all just a matter of getting a decent weapon for any melee build.
"
Ishkabibble wrote:
I'm still really enjoying this build, just hit lvl 70 waiting on my brother (lvl 60) to get his Lazy Pally to lvl 66, then we can do maps together.

Things have slowed down noticeably with my guy, specifically it's the Grim Reaper who keeps showing his ugly head every while in a once.

I believe it is time to begin upgrading my gear, but seriously do not know where to begin.

Ishkabibble, I'm glad you are enjoying the build. :)

First, for survivability, the build runs both grace and determination at once. You need a level 18 reduced mana gem to have mana remaining. Then, you need to balance your attack skill mana draw to ensure you won't run out of mana. I can do it with your setup, minus the melee splash gem. It's no great loss as multistrike cycles through nearby targets at about the same range (splash's range is pathetic anyway) and you will do more damage to single targets. Bring up the monster life bars on screen in your settings with just splash running and no multistrike and you will see just how pathetic splash's damage is on non-primary targets - it's no loss.

Your spell block is too low, you need Lazhwar! That will eliminate the concern of the Voidbearers, et al.

Max block next, you need 3%. That's two 2% nodes right below Testudo.

It's probably also time to upgrade Slitherpinch to something with the usual high armour/life/resists. You have plenty of mana leech, don't need those. Mana leech is queued to 12.5% of maximum mana per second in case you did not know, so 2% should be enough to max out the queue with a decent physical weapon. 446 * .125 = 55 per second queued. 6000 damage * .02 = 120, so you can see, 2% leech well excedes the queue.

I'd also highly recommend crafting some instant life flasks as those are far more useful than what you are running there.

I would not sell the belt, it's pretty solid. Everything I suggested is cheap.
Hi Sovyn,

Yes it does seem to check at every hit - so with 18 mana cost Spectral Throw hits up and down were good. However, it seems the curse when cast is ONLY on the monster hit, and not AOE - atleast from what I saw - will check more. Still not bad for a 18 mana spectral throw.

I levelled (to 45) and did the usual check with vendors for tri-links for chromatic orbs. I almost fell off my chair when I found a 5L on vendor! (ES chest piece). I gave it to guildie who plays a witch - and he had a 5L Armor chest piece which he gave to me (white 5l) once alch and I got this.

I am happy - didnt expect a 5L till level 60 or so :)
Sovyn - thank you

I had recently removed the Melee Splash for added fire damage but missed listing it in my post, it is on the chest piece though.

My reduced mana is at lvl 16 3/4 so not far to go there, with both grace/determination on I have 50 mana remaining now - got a bit of a boost with the amy as well.

I went to my stash and put on the amy you recommended (chance to block spells jumped to 45%). My lightning is still maxed and my cold is down to 71% and fire dropped to 63% -- both of which I should be able to help with new gloves -- looking now.

I also switched out my Spectral Throw lvl 61 which was only doing 533 dps for Cyclone starter level doing 533 and now lvl 34 doing 561 dps. In the cyclone I added cold damage - fast atk and mana leach.

Now off to find a sweet pair of gloves -- recommendations permitted.

Ishkabibble

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

USMC - Vietnam 1967 - 1968 - 1969
Last edited by Ishkabibble on Nov 27, 2013, 4:51:32 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info