[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

Hi Sovyn. Your Templar build went very smoothly for me in Nemesis but I got killed from afking in a area I thought I cleared.

I still want to finish my character even if it's softcore. The problem is this templar is too tanky and low-dps for softcore. It's currently level 63 with 18 reset points with almost identical passives as your lv60 version. Do you know how I can refund/progress for a more DPS oriented build from here?

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUAhMREckA2I020-fAfogAEs4FvnjxN2Ix2OtjsOBo4p4SQVcAaZp760h0UTDUoxfO-cH2AVk99UWAaMlnzrKpyqXzZ9zL460GqFHGnMAHnNuhYr3gNvooB3KQZG_ol34TZbmm-p9JNwA9Y21Pfm4Osr4TvdO1672BLBS1AoCFgdPEY21uv3Q38xbcXOJZGaRQgUEfnkcOGZ6CHdkp9

For some reason I have less skill points (by 5?) than your lvl 60 guide (I got killed all bandits for cruel and merciless). I probably screwed up somewhere. Current DPS is 2100 heavy strike and I use a 1-h mace. I have Heavy Strike linked to Faster Attacks, Blood Magic and Physical Damage.

Great guide! Definitely a no-death nemesis build and beginner-friendly. Only conflict was not seeing your note about autocast patch. I over levelled my autocast gems by accident.
Last edited by Louis8k8 on Nov 26, 2013, 1:57:23 PM
"
Louis8k8 wrote:

I still want to finish my character even if it's softcore. The problem is this templar is too tanky and low-dps for softcore.

Hi Louis8k8. :) I'm glad you found the build successful in hardcore. Sorry to hear of the accident.

As to DPS, as with most melee builds this one is dependent on your weapon DPS, gems, and mods on gear to do good damage.

You can pick up a couple notable offense nodes on the tree, but really, those make only a small difference.

Try a legacy facebreaker or a weapon over 250 DPS for a nice boost. :)

In case you don't know offhand, you can calculate weapon damage by adding together all of the damage numbers and dividing by 2, then multiplying by the attack speed.

I crafted my 268 DPS axe quite easily with just a few alchemy attempts:

If you are not exclusively self found, something like that can be bought cheaply sometimes, if you shop around. There are item search websites easily found on Google to help in your search as well.
Hi Mr. im in a jam at the moment. Im having trouble in high level maps. My gear is not that bad but still im not able to tank & spank..even on physical bosses i m having a hard time. Any advise would be greatly appreciated tyvm

my passive tree: http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUAAdwB5wSzBS0FWxQgFHEY2xoyGjga2xutG_odFCFgI00l3yjFMgk26DrYPeJANkCgQapEckjuSn1KyEw1TdhPfVBHUWBT31XGVvpYr1jbWfNbr2BLZp5noGxGbmluqnB9cmxyqXRBdO108XfXeA1673zZfyuAVoFvhMSE2YTvh3aKr4x2j0aQCpBVm4OePJ65n8uiAKQZpzCnhKlurKqsr7T5tfK3076KvqfAD8AaxLjPZdDQ0k3V-NaK18vdDew47g7wH_O-9zL3vvjr-tL8xQ==

My gear. 3.8k Hp Fire/Light/cold 75%. Chaos -50% Block attack 75% Block spells 63%
Having massive mana problems too DPS for my cleave is about 6.5K is that to low btw

***btw my codt link gems are all over lvled, will it make a big difference if i followed the recommended lvls in your guide? thx
Last edited by Ironxbow on Nov 27, 2013, 1:33:26 AM
Hey Sovyn,

Recently I was testing this in my CwDT setup on my main Templar:

If you happen to own Rainbowstride, you can use a Doedre's Damning for the +1 curse effect instead of using Windscream (rather than trying to reach the node on the tree).

So far from my brief testing, this can take the place of Molten Shell if you're facing something more demanding - being able to have both Enfeeble and Temporal Chains auto-proc is pretty sweet.
xeroslash - One-Hand/Shield Lightning Strike Templar
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/75285
First of all, thx a lot for your guide and the time you spend into it. I only have a few question about your build itself, in reason I was surprised you take some other, longer way to reach some maingoals at the talents.

In reason I play Hardcore, I did so mainchanges. This would be the build I prefer:
Hardcore Nemesis Build
The big difference between your and my build is that I have a lot more life, and resistence with life regeneration. As well as 2 Enduring Charges, Iron Reflexes.

Also a small thing I was surprised is this:
"

Triggers -
First Cast when Damage Taken - Level this trigger gem to level 2 only. I recommend linking this with Enduring Cry (level only to 5), Molten Shell (level only to 8), and Enfeeble (level only to 5).

Why Lvl 5 on Enduring Cry? Lvl 6 has the same mana cost. Not to mention that the mana costs for Enduring Cry over all is more or less with every lvl up just a small smile :)

"
Ironxbow wrote:
Hi Mr. im in a jam at the moment. Im having trouble in high level maps. My gear is not that bad but still im not able to tank & spank..even on physical bosses i m having a hard time. Any advise would be greatly appreciated tyvm

***btw my codt link gems are all over lvled, will it make a big difference if i followed the recommended lvls in your guide? thx

Edit: I noticed you have Unwavering Stance selected on your passive tree, that's a huge no-no with this build, you need to respec out of that right away as you are losing most of your defenses right there.

Ironxbow, I noticed your armour is too low for end game - you should replace slitherpinch with high armour gloves, and belt with 200+ armour and at least experiment with high armour boots as well.

Also, you need a high level and preferably quality Enfeeble that you can manually cast on map bosses.

Third, you need a low level (1 or 2) CwDT and like level 5 enduring cry to ensure you always have three endurance charges up.

The CwDT for Immortal Call is probably fine to have that high with your life total, but won't be doing much of anything with your current setup. Obviously you will have to scour down the immortal call and increased duration one level or level up the CwDT to get it to do anything. Also, your enduring cry in this config is also in the wrong place, it would have to be before the Immortal call to actually do anything.

Try replacing the added fire damage or life leech on cleave with mana leech support. I do just fine without either of those supports.
Last edited by Sovyn on Nov 27, 2013, 2:14:54 AM
"
shyftyx wrote:
Hey Sovyn,

Recently I was testing this in my CwDT setup on my main Templar:

If you happen to own Rainbowstride, you can use a Doedre's Damning for the +1 curse effect instead of using Windscream (rather than trying to reach the node on the tree).

So far from my brief testing, this can take the place of Molten Shell if you're facing something more demanding - being able to have both Enfeeble and Temporal Chains auto-proc is pretty sweet.

That's creative, shyftyx. I like the idea. It won't make it into the guide as a specific unique is required, but for those that can swing it, it's worth a shot IMHO.
"
Firderis wrote:
First of all, thx a lot for your guide and the time you spend into it. I only have a few question about your build itself, in reason I was surprised you take some other, longer way to reach some maingoals at the talents.

In reason I play Hardcore, I did so mainchanges. This would be the build I prefer:
Hardcore Nemesis Build
The big difference between your and my build is that I have a lot more life, and resistence with life regeneration. As well as 2 Enduring Charges, Iron Reflexes.

Also a small thing I was surprised is this:
"

Triggers -
First Cast when Damage Taken - Level this trigger gem to level 2 only. I recommend linking this with Enduring Cry (level only to 5), Molten Shell (level only to 8), and Enfeeble (level only to 5).

Why Lvl 5 on Enduring Cry? Lvl 6 has the same mana cost. Not to mention that the mana costs for Enduring Cry over all is more or less with every lvl up just a small smile :)

Hail Firderis.

We do not take Iron Reflexes and we are plenty tanky - see FAQ. There is no good reason to take IR. The build in the guide cannot be beaten as to the stats total. I have tried everything and the totals are just plain inferior in the end. I appreciate you wanted to get creative but I am sorry to tell you there is no better configuration than the guide build.

We use a low level CwDT as it allows us to keep max endurance charges up pretty much all the time. As you know, you cannot level supported gems up higher than the associated CWDT level requirement, there is no consideration for mana cost as the supported gems use no mana anyway.
I appreciate you take the tme for an answer.

"
Sovyn wrote:

Hail Firderis.

We do not take Iron Reflexes and we are plenty tanky - see FAQ. There is no good reason to take IR.

Thx a lot, I missed that completly and it makes sense :)

"

The build in the guide cannot be beaten as to the stats total. I have tried everything and the totals are just plain inferior in the end. I appreciate you wanted to get creative but I am sorry to tell you there is no better configuration than the guide build.

Hardcore is mostly about survive, and to progress you need healthpoints. Your plan is great, but I'm rather unsure how you shoud survive some situtations on a selffoundbase. I will try "my" build, which is mostly a copy of your one, and then give a feedback. If I survive long enough, hehe

"
We use a low level CwDT as it allows us to keep max endurance charges up pretty much all the time. As you know, you cannot level supported gems up higher than the associated CWDT level requirement, there is no consideration for mana cost as the supported gems use no mana anyway.

I forgot about the supported gem. But overall I don't understand the "Cast when damage taken". Will you not use the "Enduring Charge" at all by yourself? And what does the "less dmg" means by the gem? Would I take less dmg? I understand the thing about the amount of dmg I have to take to get the gem work, but get not the point with "less" dmg. Does it mean, as an example, at lvl 5 I have to take dmg for over 700 points, but at the end it hits me only for 54% of the dmg?
Last edited by Firderis on Nov 27, 2013, 4:09:09 AM
Hi Sovyn,

I got the curse on hit gem today and am thinking of linking it up with spectral throw and Warlord's mark.

Basically start fight from distance, use spectral throw, then wade in and spank the mob packs as usual with Heavy Strike :)

Edit: corrected name, linked up item. I used it now for a bit it seems fun - of course for now I got the slots for it, but I suspect curse on hit may not be viable at higher levels when you need the links for something else?

I am not sure if the check to cast the spell (curse in this case) is done for every mob hit by the throw or just once.

Last edited by MildlyClever on Nov 27, 2013, 7:00:06 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info