Suggestions for Race Season 8

Boof, serious question: if you really are that tired and not motivated to play the sigs, are advocating for reduction of the number of sigs, why do you keep playing them? (on different classes too). You play almost all of them, post in almost every race thread. To me it shows that you care and that you are interested in them, or is it just for points farming?

SlixSC, you can stop pulling the flawed argument card, i'm not some JoeyRacer123 you will impress with that shit. Do you really see no difference between a hypothetical guarenteed 10% ms and the need to collect a lot of items and then still to roll the stat (which is really important for leap slam for example)?

And yes! It is true:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/535630

"
Suggestion: vendor recipe x+y orb + weap = guaranteed %50 ipd on a weapon.

What that proves is that maybe it's not something wrong in the game (not in the case of current thread though), but something wrong with the person playing? I also remember the heated discussions about that change, how most of the people were against it. I admit, it's a good change now, but it took me quite some time to get there.

The picture that you described is wrong. You could count on one hand the number of times someone got 90%/IAS weapon in a race during a season. People were racing with 20-40% ipd rolls, weapons with single large ele roll or 20% quality weapons with some garbage damage. It was a struggle for everyone. Melee damage nodes were almost 0.5x damage compared to what they are now too.
http://www.twitch.tv/comewithus

Posted by Chris on February 4, 2014 1:51 AM
"When we mass-ban people for running these tools, don't say you weren't warned :P"
Last edited by cwu on May 5, 2014, 12:57:43 PM
"
cwu wrote:
I also remember the heated discussions about that change, how most of the people were against it. I admit, it's a good change now, but it took me quite some time to get there.

But see you are pretty much proving my point. You openly admit that you were wrong about the IPD recipe (kudos to you for admitting that by the way), but are so enamored of this idea that movement speed RNG needs to be totally random rather than fall within a given range of possibilities.

Would you be ok with an accessible movement speed recipe? say an augment, blue boots and something else that can roll somewhere between 8-12% ms or is that a no-go for you aswell?

Because that would pretty much be the IPD recipe for MS on boots.

And if we can't settle on anything more than that, is that something you would consider to be more reasonable?
#1 Victim of Murphy's Law.
Last edited by SlixSC on May 5, 2014, 12:59:39 PM
"
cwu wrote:
Boof, serious question: if you really are that tired and not motivated to play the sigs, are advocating for reduction of the number of sigs, why do you keep playing them? (on different classes too). You play almost all of them, post in almost every race thread. To me it shows that you care and that you are interested in them, or is it just for points farming?

If you'll take a look at the season ladder you'll see why I play almost all of them.
I set out to do something this season - which I now regret - but am too far in now to quit!
"
boof wrote:
"
cwu wrote:

I set out to do something this season - which I now regret - but am too far in now to quit!

Should have pulled out. Kappa
All i'm trying to advocate for, are wise and careful changes to the racing gameplay. One of the reasons i grew to like PoE racing is the randomness that each race presented. I'd like for it to stay that way. I'm just afraid that if you go down the path of giving predetermined items from monsters it will evolve into some chest full of items/currency bullshit from descent/EL.

I'm all open for a better ms recipe, but the problem is: no matter what recipe you make (unless it's 1 wisdom + white boots), people would still feel cheated and disappointed when they don't get the needed augment, transmute, scrap or whetstone. And instead of reading "didn't get ms until act2", you'll have "brutus dropped 6 white items, didn't collect a transmute until merveil". It will improve the overall race experience though.

I see, boof. 2 belts are better than 1 ;)

"When we mass-ban people for running these tools, don't say you weren't warned :P"
Last edited by cwu on May 5, 2014, 1:23:15 PM
"
cwu wrote:
All i'm trying to advocate for, are wise and careful changes to the racing gameplay. One of the reasons i grew to like PoE racing is the randomness that each race presented. I'd like for it to stay that way. I'm just afraid that if you go down the path of giving predetermined items from monsters it will evolve into some chest full of items/currency bullshit from descent/EL.

I'm all open for a better ms recipe, but the problem is: no matter what recipe you make (unless it's 1 wisdom + white boots), people would still feel cheated and disappointed when they don't get the needed augment, transmute, scrap or whetstone. And instead of reading "didn't get ms until act2", you'll have "brutus dropped 6 white items, didn't collect a transmute until merveil". It will improve the overall race experience though.

I see, boof. 2 belts are better than 1 ;)

Yeah and that's kind of the point I was getting at. Don't worry I'm not arguing for what you perceive to be the worst-case scenario (no rng, etc..) just a little something to make it less frustrating, like a vendor recipe for MS that is accessible would already be good enough.

I'm thinking armourer scrap (would make it so people had to look out for quality gear) + blue boots and an es belt (that way ES belts would actually have a use in races).

Granted, nothing about that guarantees that you will get all the components necessary for the recipe, but at least you are not solely dependant on finding MS boots but have a way of crafting them.
I absolutely agree with you regarding rng in racing... in regular races. Where it's your rng vs someone else's rng, for that race. With skill, it is most of the time a completely manageable scenario.
What I find draining is having to battle the collective rng of 20-30-40+ races that have happened before that.
They've recently added demigods for sigs, so your not-quite-recordbreaking run that was good enough to win doesn't feel like a waste, but personally I was against demigods in sigs in the first place, as it discouraged experimentation (though I concede I was probably in the minority here).
Last edited by boof on May 5, 2014, 1:30:32 PM
The more i think about it, the more i am unsure if some of my suggestions are actually good for the game.

Its very hard for me to draw the line between having enough RNG to make every race feel different and avoid the frustration of dealing with too much RNG.

I think it really comes down to my perception of what level of RNG i think im entitled to get in a race.
The IPD recipe is a great example.
I used to have an orgasm everytime i saw a 50ipd chopper. Now, if i roll a 50ipd chopper with the recipe, i call it shit.

There's always a gap between between what you actually get and what you think you could reasonably get.
The harder you try to close that gap, the less variance exists in racing and races start to become more and more stale/boring.

Each time you add a vendor recipe, you raise the level of what you get in a race, but you also raise the level of what you expect to get.

So, right now, i confess i get a little upset if i dont have ms by the time i kill Vaal since its my first priority in a race and its where i invest my big currency.
But the truth is, if that layer gets removed by giving everyone ms, that void will be filled by something else like you mentioned in a never ending cycle.

So in one way i think i need to conform and accept that its a RNG game after all and you have to accept things are out of your control.
But that doesn't mean that changes can't be made to improve it.

Very hard to know where to draw the line...
Last edited by tagpt on May 5, 2014, 1:48:48 PM
But boof, isn't that the most rewarding part of the signature races? Everyone has to compete against best runs of other people, and when you finally get a top 3 result you feel like you've achieved something. Because you've invested so many hours, been emotionally drained.

If you could break any sig record in 1-2 races, would it really be that interesting?

Upd.
Tag, exactly my thoughts. Where to draw the line? If only we could engage in some sort of convention and collectively decide where the line is, then test it for a period of time and only then implement it into the game. Only in dreams xD

"
tagpt wrote:
The more i think about it, the more i am unsure if some of my suggestions are actually good for the game.

Its very hard for me to draw the line between having enough RNG to make every race feel different and avoid the frustration of dealing with too much RNG.

I think it really comes down to my perception of what level of RNG i think im entitled to get in a race.
The IPD recipe is a great example.
I used to have an orgasm everytime i saw a 50ipd chopper. Now, if i roll a 50ipd chopper with the recipe, i call it shit.

There's always a gap between between what you actually get and what you think you could reasonably get.
The harder you try to close that gap, the less variance exists in racing and races start to become more and more stale/boring.

Each time you add a vendor recipe, you raise the level of what you get in a race, but you also raise the level of what you expect to get.

So, right now, i confess i get a little upset if i dont have ms by the time i kill Vaal since its my first priority in a race and its where i invest my big currency.
But the truth is, if that layer gets removed by giving everyone ms, that void will be filled by something else like you mentioned in a never ending cycle.

So in one way i think i need to conform and accept that its a RNG game after all and you have to accept things are out of your control.
But that doesn't mean that changes can't be made to improve it.

Very hard to know where to draw the line...

All of that makes sense. But that's why an accessible MS recipe would work wonders. It doesn't remove the rng, but rather expands on the idea of RNG by having players collect different components to craft their movement speed boots and not have them solely rely (or be dependant) on the off-chance of finding ms-boots.

The change need not be as extreme as giving everyone MS right from the start, that is certainly true, but that doesn't mean that there aren't ways to make MS gear more accessible.

Again I really feel that if the MS recipe (boots, quicksilver, augment) were replaced with a more accessible recipe (blue boots, armourer scrap, es belt) it would have a similar effect to the IPD recipe and make racing alot more balanced and alot less frustrating in cases where RNG decides to just shaft you.

Because let's be honest if GGG secretly removed the current MS recipe I don't think anyone in the race community would even notice it. And as far as I'm concerned something that is totally useless to me is the same as something that doesn't exist, it has the same level of irrelevancy to me and everyone else playing this game.
Last edited by SlixSC on May 5, 2014, 2:02:46 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info