One Week Races Awarding 1000 pt prize as Random Raffle

The 1000pt tier is an incentive to participate in a lot of races.
The 1000pt raffle is an incentive to participate in a long race.

There may be some difference, but nothing major. It's still a race reward for Season 6, which is all it was ever described to be. Any additional meaning attributed to it is in the mind of the observer, not inherent to the reward itself.

Maybe this is just one of those things where you have to have one to understand why it might be a problem, and no amount of reasoning can explain it until you get one. /unwashed masses
"
PolarisOrbit wrote:

There may be some difference, but nothing major. It's still a race reward for Season 6, which is all it was ever described to be. Any additional meaning attributed to it is in the mind of the observer, not inherent to the reward itself.

Maybe this is just one of those things where you have to have one to understand why it might be a problem, and no amount of reasoning can explain it until you get one. /unwashed masses

Yes it's incentive.
10 exalts is incentive too.
One doesn't shit on the achievement of getting the 1k prize through conventional time and effort required.

Anyway, I'm really glad people that couldn't rustle up 1k if they put all their points together at the end of the season have all chimed in about how it's no big deal.
I'm done trying to drill common sense into skulls that thick.
Last edited by boof on Feb 1, 2014, 12:14:43 PM
"
boof wrote:
"
PolarisOrbit wrote:

Yes it's incentive.
One doesn't shit on the achievement of getting the 1k prize through conventional time and effort required.

Anyway, I'm really glad people that couldn't rustle up 1k if they put all their points together at the end of the season have all chimed in about how it's no big deal.
I'm done trying to drill common sense into skulls that thick.

Statistically speaking it should go to someone in the top 50 anyway, they've spent probably as many hours in this one week race then I have grinding 1k points so I'm not gonna complain. If its someone else who only hit 50 and I got 3 points and got it I'd be disappointed.
Last edited by Rithz on Feb 1, 2014, 12:53:37 PM
"
boof wrote:
Yes it's incentive.

For the record I have no problem with 10 exalts as a race reward threshold/raffle either. Especially as a raffle- if it drives up participation then that's good for everybody! If you were attempting reduction to the absurd then you didn't go absurd enough because I do not find your hyperbole onerous.

The comment that you perceive it as shitting on the achievement of 1k points is interesting though. Why is a raffle shitting on your achievement? I don't see it that way at all. For example, the best I've gotten is a 220 point reward, but those have always been available from the "big" raffles. I never complained because it never occurred to me that a raffle equal to my best reward was similar to shitting on my achievement. So what's the difference with 1000?
"
Rithz wrote:
Statistically speaking it should go to someone in the top 50 anyway

Apparently, this has to be explained many times.

Now that the race is over, I decided to download the csv file and do some calculations.

Total amount of points awarded in the 1 week: 11886

Total amoun of points distributed among the top 50 alive players: 2313

The chance that a reward is given to someone in top 50: 19,46 %

So statistically speaking, 1 out of 5 raffle prizes will go to top 50. There are 296 raffle prizes, so statistically speaking, top 50 will share 57,6 raffle prizes, which is little more than one per player.

However, the chance that someone in top 50 would win the 1000 point reward was only 19,46 %.

So please stop saying that a top player will win it anyway.

Bonus info: There is 50% chance that someone in top 273 would win it and 50% chance that it would be won by someone outside top 273.
Last edited by Hassefar60 on Feb 1, 2014, 6:54:10 PM
Solid racer running around half the events has a 1/1 chance of winning the 1k prize
Casual random hitting 50 in a 1 week has a 1/10000 chance of winning the 1k prize

Seems the whole effort/risk/reward/etc equation is pretty fair here.

"
boof wrote:
I'm really glad people that couldn't rustle up 1k if they put all their points together at the end of the season have all chimed in about how it's no big deal.

I hit the top reward in season 1 and wouldnt have cared if a couple had been raffled in 1-2 week events.
IGN: KoTao
"
reboticon wrote:

The top racers find it offensive that 1 person will get the 1000 point race reward without getting 1000 race points and think it was a poor decision on GGG's part.

Which top racers?

What did they say?

I'm not trying to undermine your point, I just don't keep up on the race reward drama.
anything is everything
Last edited by Manocean on Feb 1, 2014, 9:48:19 PM
The one shot some other guy might get lucky and you all go on a frenzy on how they shouldn't be able to.

It makes more people partake in events they would otherwise not want to, making it more fun for the ones who enjoy 1 weeks. In fact I would hope a top racer does not win it.

You already get a nice little demi with your number on it.

The fact that this is what get's people riled up and not the overall terrible prices for placing highly in week races to me is a mystery.
twitch.tv/nugiyen (Live almost everyday from 15.00 +1 GMT)
follow @nugiyen on twitter
www.youtube.com/nugiyen
"
"
reboticon wrote:

The top racers find it offensive that 1 person will get the 1000 point race reward without getting 1000 race points and think it was a poor decision on GGG's part.

Which top racers?

What did they say?

I'm not trying to undermine your point, I just don't keep up on the race reward drama.

Boof and Janimauk are top racers, they posted their thoughts in first two posts of this thread.

@Boof - with the way you go out of your way to trivialize people's complaints with regards to race scheduling, don't be surprised when no one gives two shits about something that affects only you and maybe a dozen other people at most.

Anarchy/Onslaught T shirt
Domination/Nemesis T shirt
Tempest/War Bands T shirt
Last edited by reboticon on Feb 2, 2014, 12:40:45 AM

You mad?

PS: This thread is stupid. Ressurecting it. Always entertaining.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info