3.20 Balance Manifesto: Monster Mods and Archnemesis

Sounds wonderful, thank you so much! I was going to skip the next league but now I'll certainly play.
Huge change. Thanks GGG. I'm glad to see more clarity going into the system because while I didn't hate every iteration of AN, they all suffered from the complexity of having modifier names that didn't match expectations.
"
derfington wrote:
But what about all the useless drops? I dont want 50 flasks. I dont want 200 whetstones. Now i will still get them? I just won't know when?

Yes :D
How about headhunter? The mods will stack again?????
while this sounds good, so did 3.19 changes, until we saw a complete different picture in the game.

let's wait
trying to fix AN crap that poe has become, too little too late though imho, but whatever, could care less at this point
Hrm... So I have some concerns off the cuff. How will mods on mobs scale? It isn't really detailed here and it may have a mechanic and is hidden, but I just want to clearly call it out in case it is actually not a thing.

I like the idea of single mods and titles to match. However, will the most mods on a mob be 6? 4? 20? It would be nice of there was some scaling in this. Like either map tier, or increases to monster rarity affect mod count as well... Things like that.

Also I have some concerns around:
"
In the new system, we have added a significant pool of new rewards to rares, but the reward that is on the monster is hidden (and not associated with a specific mod), so you don't know what kind of rewards you will get until you kill the monster. Rare monsters with more mods are more likely to have these special hidden reward mods. This new reward system smooths out the spikiness that the Archnemesis reward system had.

Is this under old school league modifiers to quant and rarity (hardcoded), or will player mods for quant and rarity boost it?

With the hit to league specific drops, I hope things continue to improve to remove hardcoded values so scaling can be a thing.
Respectfully,

"used-to-be-like" means Archnemesis is still there; removed the titles and gave description instead. Then added randomized drop table from the same crap loot we already get. So, now instead of players atleast being able to isolate where the decent drops are, you've spread them into a significant increased pool of items with a massive historical buff removed.

#thisisabuff #makebeyondgreatagain #whatisnem4
With the fact in mind that the extra mods still Drop special reward layers pls consider revisiting Content Like Simulacrum where rare Monsters Drop nothing and maybe Limit the amount of Mods Mobs can have in this Kind of Content
This actually makes me sad. I thought the Archnemesis system needed only some tweaks but not a wholesale gutting and reversion to the boring old system.

1. Modifier names were not descriptive of what the thing actually does: Not true. It just takes a while to associate each modifier name with its specific set of effects and the visual tell. In every game the player has to learn its jargon and what certain specific words mean that literally have no meaning outside of the game.

2. The new system is more modern and interesting than the old system and the Archnemesis system: Not true. This literally brings back the old system with some additional mods that used to be found on Nemesis merged into the main pool.

3. Players could not be expected to read and parse Archnemesis modifiers in the middle of battle: For heaven's sake, players were already not reading anything anyway!!! Where your game has come to at this point is that your players only love to zoom, having to read words be damned. Sure now modifiers are literally saying "extra crits" and whatnot but your players are still not going to be reading anything until they suddenly die and complain why its not at all obvious what killed them!!!

4. The new rare reward pool system could have been merged directly into Archnemesis some other way without gutting Archnemesis entirely.

This change really treats players like complete idiots and appeals to the lowest common denominator.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info