Announcing Ruthless

Why is the pathfinder completely deleted for this mode?

No instilling orbs combined with flasks not recharging when in use means Pathfinder is basically deleted.

Also, removing movespeed from onslaught directly nerfs raider's onslaught route to the tune of 40% move speed.

I.E. why are specific ascendancy classes being nerfed?
I love the idea of gear feeling more powerful if they actually are. I'd be happy finding 1 alchemy if it'll make something very strong for me at that time, I don't want to be level 50 slapping my only alc on a belt for it to give 27% total res, +9hp, a handful of dex and 12% block and stun recovery. I'd be alright if its hard to find, but rewarding to use.

Guess we'll have to wait and see, I won't be playing it if Its still just as bad crafting (if I get that far).
everyone: "hey uhhh archnemesis fucking sucks and the game is annoying to play, could you fix it and make it fun again?"

ggg: "try ruthless mode, it makes it 10000x more annoying to play and unfun, that's what we spent all our time developing"
POE is a loot game ))) oh... no loot? nwm...

PS. WTF GGG? it's all about loooting, not lack of loot.... and yet you make a lack of looting... ok, mb it'll be better to disable drop at ALL?? why stay at semi-results? let's turn it offf.... that'll be FUUUN
I'm going to make a lot of assumptions here.

From a morale perspective, I know that working on something for a long period of time can really kill your passion for that thing. I'm hoping this is just a way for the senior devs to rekindle the passion that seems to be spread thin between the 3 month league cycle, PoE2, and PoE mobile.

From a project management perspective, this seems like a misstep. Competing responsibilities need to be prioritized and pet projects, when work related, will always impact other work tasks. This could be as simple as the pet project occupying headspace when you should be focused on your actual work or more measurable impacts like having to fix bugs introduced by Ruthless, further fracturing a player base, impacting server performance, adding additional considerations when balancing new content, or exacerbating the burden of expectation management among players.

Obviously I don't know the numbers behind GGG's financials and actual player retention or where PoE is going in the future, but my subjective observation is that the leagues have been getting worse and the community is moving on. The senior devs seem to be trying to reignite their passion for the game with a game mode that will impact the health and direction of the overall game, and it is very unlikely to be for the better.

I hope this game mode does the trick, but if I'm right, and this is just a symptom of fatigue and lack of passion, maybe it's time to find that passion in something else, rather than try and force it. Personally, be good to yourself. Professionally, make the decisions that will best support the company.
tbh it was mid-twenties when poe was still in alpha!
Constructive feedback here:

I think marketing this new game mode by specifically saying it "allows skilled players to differentiate themselves from everyone else." should be changed with "allows experienced players and new players alike to bring their knowledge of the game's complexity to the next level" or something similar.

I just think that opposing "skilled players" vs "everyone else" isn't a constructive marketing approach. It creates a hierarchy among players.

The game itself is less about actual player's skills than player's experience and will. For me, PoE is about understanding the vast possibilities of interactions that come into account when putting together a character build that will eventually overcome the game's challenges, or not. This comes with experience, creativity with build iterations, knowledge and patience. If those are the player's skill you refer to, I recommend being specific about it.

I also think even new players could enjoy this mode, regardless if they are "skilled" or not.

What do you think?

:)
I know I'm going to try it, but I will be mad about how bad I will be :D
Oohh.. Look at that!
Can someone define the " FUN " for them
I want in. :>
Last edited by funplayer on Nov 2, 2022, 12:10:26 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info