widescreen resolution removed from the game.

"
tackle70 wrote:
"
onexxx wrote:
Furthermore, GGG never stated that they removed it for any fairness or competitive reasons.

Yup. This was basically a made up line of reasoning that some people in the community invented to support GGG's decision to remove 32:9.

As you can see reading this thread, there are people who repeatedly fail to understand the nature of PoE as a game (it is a noncompetitive PvE game, and all of its mechanics and design prove this). They appear to believe that because some players play with a competitive mindset, the game is thus a competitive game, not realizing that by this standard literally every video game is - at least in theory - a competitive PvP game, which is absurd.

Outside of competitive races and PvP, it's hilariously confused reasoning to suggest that "fairness" or "competitive integrity" is a legitimate reason to black bar 32:9 and other ultrawide screens in this game, which is no doubt why GGG stuck to the more sensible reason(s) of technical issues.

The problem is that GGG isn't a small indie dev, and black bars aren't an acceptable solution to technical problems for a company of this size. They should fix the issues, not slam black bars onto people's screens for no good reason.

No, it is weilded as an argument against adding it back. GGG's reasoning is visible in the 2nd post of this thread for everyone to see.

The bad faith in this is astonishing.
The opposite of knowledge is not illiteracy, but the illusion of knowledge.
"
tackle70 wrote:
1 year, 304 days

There are zero defensible arguments for the inclusion of black bars in this game.

Fix it, GGG

1 year, 304 days,
GGG already did a fix almost 2 years ago for obvious good reasons.
Fix your hardware if you're so triggered about the proper solution of black bars.
Flames and madness. I'm so glad I didn't miss the fun. hoho
"
onexxx wrote:
I don't really get why people are so against it coming back. It was aviable up to sentinel league included, and it didn't really bother much. Furthermore, GGG never stated that they removed it for any fairness or competitive reasons.

You misunderstand the entire thread....

We aren't against it coming back. That isn't even in the argument.

The argument is WHY it was removed, and that the loudest voice wants them to "fix" an issue that was actually an issue which they fixed by removing UW.

I don't think there is a single person here who is AGAINST UW coming back...provided the developers feel like the game is able to support it correctly.
"
jsuslak313 wrote:
"
onexxx wrote:
I don't really get why people are so against it coming back. It was aviable up to sentinel league included, and it didn't really bother much. Furthermore, GGG never stated that they removed it for any fairness or competitive reasons.

You misunderstand the entire thread....

We aren't against it coming back. That isn't even in the argument.

The argument is WHY it was removed, and that the loudest voice wants them to "fix" an issue that was actually an issue which they fixed by removing UW.

I don't think there is a single person here who is AGAINST UW coming back...provided the developers feel like the game is able to support it correctly.

Well, there are some here who states that it was removed for balance purposes, thoses obviously didn't read GGG's full statement. The last part is very clear on the point. It's a "visual polish" (for the lack of a better term to describe it) patch. I understand that, and you can look at my previous post, I didn't talk about "fixing" anything related to removing the black bars or something of the sort, I'm just talking about my experience when UW was aviable.

That aside, most of the UW enjoyers here were quite OK with thoses visual hiccups, but I completely understand that the devs does not want to show part of the game that are not correctly handled. It's just a bit wierd to me that they waited almost 10 years to do that. At some point it was assumed that they didn't really care or and it was fine imho.

GGG's post also suggest that they would like to increase the render distance server-side at some point. But it would also be nice to not render client-side what's behind the black bars while we wait for for a possible UW comeback.
Last edited by onexxx on Jun 17, 2024, 3:34:18 PM
"
onexxx wrote:
Well, there are some here who states that it was removed for balance purposes.

I feel like that one's for me. UW supporters brought up that UW has "no correlation" to gained advantage over smaller aspect ratios, i proved it wrong, that's all to it. I even admit that for most builds it's just a QoL, except TS, which can clearly take competitive advantage. Nowhere have i stated it was the main purpose for it's removal.

But that's the pattern, isn't it? We research to disprove opinion, and it's taken out of context to say we were saying something else all along.
Ruthless should be [Removed by Support].
Last edited by AdRonZh3Ro on Jun 17, 2024, 4:23:43 PM
"
AdRonZh3Ro wrote:
"
onexxx wrote:

I feel like that one's for me. UW supporters brought up that UW has "no correlation" to gained advantage over smaller aspect ratios, i proved it wrong, that's all to it. I even admit that for most builds it's just a QoL, except TS, which can clearly take competitive advantage. Nowhere have i stated it was the main purpose for it's removal.

But that's the pattern, isn't it? We research to disprove opinion, and it's taken out of context to say we were saying something else all along.

I'm not aiming at anyone, it's just that "unfair advantage for UW" point is a common occurence in the whole thread, and I tend to disagree on it in path of exile's context (for reasons that I described on previous posts). But I completely get that on screenshots, it looks like a big edge.
"
onexxx wrote:

I'm not aiming at anyone, it's just that "unfair advantage for UW" point is a common occurence in the whole thread, and I tend to disagree on it in path of exile's context (for reasons that I described on previous posts). But I completely get that on screenshots, it looks like a big edge.

But in your post you also say you only experienced one league with 32:9. Presumably, the issues you had with it would be lessened and the benefits strengthened as you got more used to it and practiced in its advantages.

This tends to be true of all "new" tech. There is a certain amount of learning and getting used to the new environment before the benefits / advantages start to show.

It's like picking up a brand new phone: all the new bells and whistles are annoying and a pain in the ass.....until you actually learn to use them and see how much better they tend to make things.
Last edited by jsuslak313 on Jun 17, 2024, 5:06:15 PM
"
jsuslak313 wrote:

But in your post you also say you only experienced one league with 32:9. Presumably, the issues you had with it would be lessened and the benefits strengthened as you got more used to it and practiced in its advantages.

This tends to be true of all "new" tech. There is a certain amount of learning and getting used to the new environment before the benefits / advantages start to show.

It's like picking up a brand new phone: all the new bells and whistles are annoying and a pain in the ass.....until you actually learn to use them and see how much better they tend to make things.

While I cannot fully deny this, a league that I enjoy playing it's 150 to 200h of play without much AFK. I think that it's a decent enough amount to get accostumed and have an idea of the benefits. Of course, my feeling about it can be contested, I just speak for myself here. But I'm not any special, and my feeling about being distracted by the edges of the screen also makes sense if you think about how our fov works.

I still have that feeling in other games at this point, several years after getting the display. It's in car sim that I got a real big change with that screen, because you also naturally check around you in a car. In FPS and ARPG, it's a bit worse than a regular display to me, but much more immersive. It's a trade-off that I'm willing to make, I'm not playing thoses game with a PVP/competitive objective, but I do not recommend that aspect ratio to anyone that seeks the best performance in thoses.
"
AdRonZh3Ro wrote:
"
onexxx wrote:

So why not fix TS targeting range, along with other skills? Amount of work for it is nowhere near work of implementing functional fog of war from scratch. Don't even need to adjust data sent from client, server can take the vector from caster to targeted point and project maximum allowed distance along this vector if user clicked too far. Instead GGG clipped game for everyone, including those who were perfectly fine with "unpolished view" of monsters on the sides, and it still did not fix offscreen combat.
"
Echothesis wrote:
"
AdRonZh3Ro wrote:
"
onexxx wrote:

So why not fix TS targeting range, along with other skills? Amount of work for it is nowhere near work of implementing functional fog of war from scratch. Don't even need to adjust data sent from client, server can take the vector from caster to targeted point and project maximum allowed distance along this vector if user clicked too far. Instead GGG clipped game for everyone, including those who were perfectly fine with "unpolished view" of monsters on the sides, and it still did not fix offscreen combat.

Because it is not broken lol :D Some builds are better at clear, some are better at bossing - making all builds same would be boring and that would be bad game design - something even amateur game dev should know.
Biggest compliments for my crafted items - "bs, they must have been RMT'ed"

I'm disabled, I have rare case of semperduravera, so I can write things that may look rude, but it is because of disability - I'm forced to tell truth using words you may not like.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info