[3.13] Contagious Burning Discharge - Chieftain/Jugg | Budget to wild - League start friendly

"
Irongunner wrote:
It says "Ignites you inflict with Attacks deal Damage 35% faster". Discharge is NOT an attack, but a spell.

Ah I didn't realize Dyadin said "Attacks". Thanks for explaining that.
Last edited by MotherLovinOvenMitts on Sep 21, 2020, 9:31:44 AM
"
bodhe wrote:
"
Ballistic213 wrote:
@Bodhe or anyone else.

Im running a similar build and having a "blast" in maps :).

Im torn between going EE or not. It should help with bossing, But then again i cant use Blood rage. (cold discharges)
Im using Malevolence and HoA so Angers flat fire isnt an issue. but it does mean i can use flat ele damage elsewhere.

Any input/thoughts appreciated.

Wouldn't the base fire damage of discharge block EE for the burn? Since it "hits" then ignites, then burns.

Yea, you just use orb of storms or similar to proc the minus Fire res. Just wondering if its worth/necessary.
"
hktmh123 wrote:
After equipping eye of innocence, I one shot my self with discharge in crowd mobs. Anyone know how to offset the self damage?

**NOTE TO EVERYONE** especially hardcore.

Something with Abberath's Hooves makes this happen. I never used the two together as I couldn't handle the 15MS. I am assuming it is the ignite line, which I assumed functioned the same as our prolif gem. Somehow it makes Eye of Innocence hit WAY more than one ignite per mob. I think the ignites overlap for every single mob, or maybe they reflect back to the mob that you ignited in the first place.

Hopefully none of you HC guys have found this out the hard way.

I changed the mid-game boots to Sunspire, which are actually pretty wicked. up to 40MS, unlocks the "is ignited" proc which boost damage through eye of innocence. So before cooldown boots use Sunspire. Before Eye of innocence use Abberath's.
"
JCDenis wrote:
Don't you think gus that gem Unbound Ailments is almost nothing for the build?
Right now without this gem i have 4.73s of each ignite, and almost all time i spamming my discharge every 2s (or close to that). And refresh the ignite on enemy. If i add Unbound Ailments the ignite duration will be 7.05s. The damage is also much higer, but if i refresh ignite every 2sec it become useless.
And the question about penetration. Ignite damage depens of initial hit damage. So if i add f.e. fire penetration into my discharge i'll get increase damage of initial hit and also should get little changes to ignite. But in PoB ignite doesn't change at all. why?

"Supports any skill that hits enemies, making those hits penetrate enemy fire resistance." So fire pen doesn't works with ignite.
About Unbound Aliment, maybe we should use Swift Action instead, we then have 4.18s ignite.
"
JCDenis wrote:
Don't you think gus that gem Unbound Ailments is almost nothing for the build?
Right now without this gem i have 4.73s of each ignite, and almost all time i spamming my discharge every 2s (or close to that). And refresh the ignite on enemy. If i add Unbound Ailments the ignite duration will be 7.05s. The damage is also much higer, but if i refresh ignite every 2sec it become useless.
And the question about penetration. Ignite damage depens of initial hit damage. So if i add f.e. fire penetration into my discharge i'll get increase damage of initial hit and also should get little changes to ignite. But in PoB ignite doesn't change at all. why?

Ideally you would have a white socket and could run maps with Swift Affliction and Unbound on shaper/sirus. I haven't had an issue with the damage being too "slow" yet, so I personally prefer to not have to refresh my discharge every 4 seconds. I imagine this will only really matter for harder bosses when you will be doing more hit and run playstyle.

When you discharge on a boss you lose your charges which affects our defense a great deal, both in phys reduction and regen. Since you don't gain them on a boss instantly like on a pack of mobs there is a small window you are pretty squishy. We go from 35ish phys res to 80 just with charges. That's massive.

DPS is only DPS'ing if you're able to do it 100% of the time, with a 7 sec ignite you have a lot more room for playing defensively while your burn is doing burn things.

That's just my take, swift affliction is a DPS increase if you can keep the ignite on the entire fight, but your windows of being vulnerable increase and if it falls off your DPS starts to drop whereas it would still be going with a longer ignite.

"
Myrthue wrote:
Could archmage support be used instead of one of the other supports for discharge? - Pro/con?

If you scale mana then it can be incredibly powerful, but that's another build. There are templars doing pretty massive numbers playing this way, mostly focused on the hit, not the ignite.
"
ngtrungkhanh wrote:

"Supports any skill that hits enemies, making those hits penetrate enemy fire resistance." So fire pen doesn't works with ignite.
About Unbound Aliment, maybe we should use Swift Action instead, we then have 4.18s ignite.

So there is no way to increase base ignite damage for later scaling with support gems exept number of charges? I mean f.e. spell dmg form the tree also increase Discharge hit, but it doesn't increase base ignite from that hit...
And yea Swift Affliction looks more interested. Because with RedBlade Banner and 3.19 cooldown on EC it's almost always full charges on you. And you want to blow discharge again and agian.
It's sad that there is no more ways do reduce ignite duration. All tree nodes gives us only increase... It can be much more powerful engame with 1.5sec cooldown on discharge (with 2 shaper cooldown items) and ignite duration around 2sec f.e (dream).
How good is this as a starter? Or is this something you build as your second character?
"
theeze wrote:
How good is this as a starter? Or is this something you build as your second character?

I can only speak for the juggernaut variant, but I think it was pretty good as a starter. 1 - 30lvls was kinda slow because I was essentially leveling a spell caster with physical skills (molten strike/infernal blow + holy flame totem) and with a really crappy weapon, but as soon as I got my normal lab done at around lvl 30 Discharge started working really well and doing most of the work!

If you can get the int for it, I'd definitely try Flame wall + fireball for early leveling. Oh and bodhe has some day 1 videos linked to his guide from both chieftain and juggernaut, those should give you some idea how the build works with really small investment/starter gear.
Last edited by Smerte on Sep 21, 2020, 1:52:38 PM
I'm definitely going to try this, but man does that name sound like you're describing a venereal disease.
People say video games kill: I guess the good die young?
Hello firstly I will like to thank Bodhe for creating this awesome guide. I have just cleared Sirius A5 deathless with my current gear.

Some feedback that I can give that might help you guys decide if the build is right for you. This build is great at clearing maps at a decent pace, and also allows for a hit and run playstyle that is great for bossing as you can spend the time dodging game mechanics and ground effects.

For levelling, I actually went Juggernaut first, respecing before merciless lab to Chieftain, as I felt that charge generation was abit inconsistent in my experience levelling. I will recommend levelling with melee skills until you can use discharge + Valako.

While Eye of Innocence really makes the build shine, I will say it is not absolutely necessary, and you can work with just enduring cry + Valako for almost all content. I only got it after reaching level 88-89.

My current plans are to upgrade my belt and boots to incorporate cooldown and also try out the discharge gems with alternative quality, specifically the casting speed one as I sometimes die waiting for my discharge to trigger.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info