-

"
ABCOPL wrote:
"
livejamie wrote:
Is this a better starter versus Scourge Arrow?

Jamie, you have to use my karen build^^ after all it originated from you :P

But really, both are good. You can also go ca like the guys in gauntlet from your post.

If you go pf to transition later I would recommend this one as the 50% aoe node is pretty great especially with a carcass jack.
The only problem is you will have to get quite a few regret orbs anyway, just slightly less than raider^^

But in the end I'd say all the chaos dot builds are pretty solid starters that can become great later and they are also kinda the only choices if you wanna go ranger at league start.

<3

Hey friend!

Yeah looking at Ranger starters the two main choices seem to be Toxic Rain Chaos or Poison Scourge Arrow.

https://poe.ninja/challenge/builds?time-machine=day-1&class=Raider,Pathfinder,Deadeye

I'm leaning toward TR I just wanted to see if anybody had experience with both.

Trigger starter seems kinda fun as well. :)
livejamie
"
livejamie wrote:

Hey friend!

Yeah looking at Ranger starters the two main choices seem to be Toxic Rain Chaos or Poison Scourge Arrow.

https://poe.ninja/challenge/builds?time-machine=day-1&class=Raider,Pathfinder,Deadeye

Both build can be league starter, but IMO, TR is better. Leveling with TR is much easier, since it only needs gem level, while SA's poison depends on the flat damage you have, and the only good source of flat damage early game is added chaos dmg support. For TR, a random 6l bow from div cards crafted with +gem lvl essence will easily carry you into red maps, but for SA you need to get darkscorn (can be pricy at league start) and probably a few upgrades such as - socketed mana cost on chest to feel good.

But the pro for SA is that u can get really tanky after certain upgrades due to divine flesh and phys taken as chaos
"
lazyrabbit711 wrote:
"
livejamie wrote:

Hey friend!

Both build can be league starter, but IMO, TR is better. Leveling with TR is much easier, since it only needs gem level, while SA's poison depends on the flat damage you have, and the only good source of flat damage early game is added chaos dmg support. For TR, a random 6l bow from div cards crafted with +gem lvl essence will easily carry you into red maps, but for SA you need to get darkscorn (can be pricy at league start) and probably a few upgrades such as - socketed mana cost on chest to feel good.

But the pro for SA is that u can get really tanky after certain upgrades due to divine flesh and phys taken as chaos

100% agreed. SA does get very tanky and does also feel good to play, but especially if you want to transition later, there is no need to invest so much into this version.

I will also do the same thing and then transition, kinda sick of minions :P
"
ABCOPL wrote:
"
lazyrabbit711 wrote:
"
livejamie wrote:

Hey friend!

100% agreed. SA does get very tanky and does also feel good to play, but especially if you want to transition later, there is no need to invest so much into this version.

I will also do the same thing and then transition, kinda sick of minions :P

Great discussion, thanks all.
livejamie
Will a six link bow with only +1 to bow gems from screaming essence of dread really carry us in maps? I mean, considering this will be a league starter, other gear will probably only be life + resists as well.
"
MillenniumDH wrote:
Will a six link bow with only +1 to bow gems from screaming essence of dread really carry us in maps? I mean, considering this will be a league starter, other gear will probably only be life + resists as well.

It won't hardcarry you to red maps from what I've experienced, means that the dmg would fall off on reds

I've done a testing with Quill rain vs +3 bow recently on my stream, but both on 5l. From What I've tested and saw, it can carry you to red maps but a bit weak. (I've tested this a few leagues ago but with raider, 6l bow with +2 can't outdamage quill rain anyway)

I cast remi - a very beginner friendly guide : https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2866127
Support me if you want to! ttv/remicaster1
Last edited by Remicaster1 on Sep 6, 2020, 6:49:36 AM
"
Remicaster1 wrote:
"
MillenniumDH wrote:

It won't hardcarry you to red maps from what I've experienced, means that the dmg would fall off on reds

I've done a testing with Quill rain vs +3 bow recently on my stream, but both on 5l. From What I've tested and saw, it can carry you to red maps but a bit weak. (I've tested this a few leagues ago but with raider, 6l bow with +2 can't outdamage quill rain anyway)

So it would be better off sticking to Quill Rain, even at 5L? How does it fare in red maps?
"
MillenniumDH wrote:
"
Remicaster1 wrote:
"
MillenniumDH wrote:

So it would be better off sticking to Quill Rain, even at 5L? How does it fare in red maps?

It can do T16 guardian maps just fine (even deathless), I've video evidences on that on my stream if you are interested, https://www.twitch.tv/videos/729702098
I cast remi - a very beginner friendly guide : https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2866127
Hi,

Why do you use wither+spell totem instead of withering touch+attack gem?

Is it so you don't give up on the mirage archer?

I'm not a fan of totems but maybe the dps loss on toxic rain is too much?

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks for the guide.
wither + spell totem is extremely important because wither stacks have their individual duration, it will go away for every 2 seconds. Withering touch will have trouble on sustaining the wither stacks as it requires hit chance, it will not only stack up wither stacks slower, it won't be able to sustain 15 stacks of wither consistently unlike wither stacks. On top of that it might feel clunky if you use withering touch + attack gem

Mirage archer have nothing to do with wither totems

According to my PoB, if I don't use wither totem, I'd lose about half of my dps, which is from 12M to 6M, in my opinion that damage lost is damn huge.

Last edited by Remicaster1 on Sep 7, 2020, 2:39:42 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info