[3.9] Burning Arrow Chieftain League Start - Budget Friendly

"
rpgambit wrote:
When I saw the changes to burning arrow my first thought was Chieftain as well for some nice tankiness and fire synergy. I found this guide a few days before the patch and have been using it roughly since. Been working out great so far as I've been leveling (in Act 8 at this point, no problems so far). A couple things to note about the build:

In reality your damage is going to be much higher than displayed in PoB. Ngamahu isn't factored in at all and is actually better for ignite builds than any other build. During the effect you're getting the 100% increased physical damage as fire, giving you big ignites. Then even when the buff wears off your last big ignite will still tick away for 4-5 seconds depending on your setup. So you're essentially getting the buff for about 8-9 out of the 10 seconds.

I swapped Malevolence for Anger. It's basically the same DPS wise but with the added benefit of +skill duration. The burning arrow "extra ignite" damage has its duration extended by malevolence which increases both uptime and chance a better, bigger ignite is ticking. Same with wave of conviction debuff / curse uptime.

I'm also using malachai's artifice w storm brand instead of stormfire. It depends on your gear to figure out which is better. If you have a decent amount of lightning damage stormfire is probably better. Also if you can't keep up 5 stacks of the extra ignite stormfire may be better. But its definitely a good option for super cheap and early game. It also lets you cap lightning res pretty easily which basically only leaves cold from your remaining gear. Stormfire is far better for clearing, though.

Lastly, has anyone tried Asenath's chant? I'm thinking of trying it out with wave of conviction / flammability / elemental weakness in it rather than using CWDT / trying to get it on gloves.

Thank you for posting your experience with the build so far! Malachai's Artifice is definitely a strong choice for the build until you get the curse on hit gloves. I haven't considered Asenath's Chant, but now that you mention it, it's not a bad way to level the build. Will have to try this out if I get some time this week.
Uh oh, Stinky
I was orginally going for EA Chieftain, but I eventually realized how bad EA was and switched to BA. My tree was basically the same, so it was an easy swap. So far I've only done 3 of the Elder guardians, normal Atziri, Uber Lab and 1 T16 map. Everything is pretty easy, including the metamorph bosses unless I fail to see the tiny beetles that one shot you. This is my gear so far.

Bought a cheap Kaoms with 21%, divined it to 20 O_o. Still trying to craft a better amulet, and also looking for a better ring.

Really want to progress further on the atlas and get to some more bosses, but it's painfully slow. I know what I have to do when a conqueror shows up, but I'm not sure how I make them show up. Seems very random.

Edit: decided to change out stormfire for 2
instead and change my gloves for
to get more life and an extra pierce. Think it feels better overall with the pyre's.
Last edited by CrazylikE on Dec 16, 2019, 10:50:56 AM
Build looks like something I would enjoy. For anyone who has tried it any recommendations on passive tree progression?
"
CrazylikE wrote:
I was orginally going for EA Chieftain, but I eventually realized how bad EA was and switched to BA. My tree was basically the same, so it was an easy swap. So far I've only done 3 of the Elder guardians, normal Atziri, Uber Lab and 1 T16 map. Everything is pretty easy, including the metamorph bosses unless I fail to see the tiny beetles that one shot you. This is my gear so far.

Bought a cheap Kaoms with 21%, divined it to 20 O_o. Still trying to craft a better amulet, and also looking for a better ring.

Really want to progress further on the atlas and get to some more bosses, but it's painfully slow. I know what I have to do when a conqueror shows up, but I'm not sure how I make them show up. Seems very random.

That gear is nice. Could you elaborate what you mean by painfully slow vs "everything is pretty easy"?
"Path of Exile's engine is currently modern, lean and fast." - Chris Wilson, September 19th, 2019

"It looks like we broke something with 3.10.0. We don't know what it is yet." - Bex, March 16th, 2020
What flasks do we use for this build? Do we use a witchfire brew?
Really interested in the trickster version of this. Also curious how single target damage holds up. I'm sure clear is fine but this is a boss killing league so I'd rather single target not taper off so much it becomes tedious
"
girng wrote:

That gear is nice. Could you elaborate what you mean by painfully slow vs "everything is pretty easy"?

The build is fast, but progressing atlas is slow af. To get the conquerors to spawn takes a long time some times.
"
DotsandDashes wrote:
Really interested in the trickster version of this. Also curious how single target damage holds up. I'm sure clear is fine but this is a boss killing league so I'd rather single target not taper off so much it becomes tedious

I don't know about trickster, but my chieftain has fairly good single target dps I'd say. I think every monster got a buff in resistance this patch, so it's hard to compare to last league, and I also never played a Burning Arrow, or even an ignite build before, so its hard to say if its better or worse than before. I've done plenty of T16 maps now, and killed 13 conquerors, some of them in T16 maps lately and its been fine, nothing spectacular. Some morph bosses are tanky, some die fast. Depends on how much regen and life you spawn them with etc. Also did T16 Elder earlier. Elder himself felt pretty tanky, but the adds and portals died really fast, so I think Elder got more tanky this patch compared to previous patch.
"
CrazylikE wrote:
"
girng wrote:

The build is fast, but progressing atlas is slow af. To get the conquerors to spawn takes a long time some times.

Thanks for the clarification, I thought it was about single target damage or something.

How is single target by the way? Hit them with flammability and kite?

edit: I just read the above post, never mind
"Path of Exile's engine is currently modern, lean and fast." - Chris Wilson, September 19th, 2019

"It looks like we broke something with 3.10.0. We don't know what it is yet." - Bex, March 16th, 2020
Last edited by girng on Dec 16, 2019, 11:30:56 AM
"
CrazylikE wrote:
"
DotsandDashes wrote:

I don't know about trickster, but my chieftain has fairly good single target dps I'd say. I think every monster got a buff in resistance this patch, so it's hard to compare to last league, and I also never played a Burning Arrow, or even an ignite build before, so its hard to say if its better or worse than before. I've done plenty of T16 maps now, and killed 13 conquerors, some of them in T16 maps lately and its been fine, nothing spectacular. Some morph bosses are tanky, some die fast. Depends on how much regen and life you spawn them with etc. Also did T16 Elder earlier. Elder himself felt pretty tanky, but the adds and portals died really fast, so I think Elder got more tanky this patch compared to previous patch.

Thanks for the info. My only concern with Chieftain is overall speed of the character. I dont need meta levels of zoom zoom but i feel like Chieftain will be sluggish in overall speed compared to a dex character. Got any videos of clips of your gameplay?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info