[3.21] ShakCentral's Cold DoT Elementalist For Everyone

League started with it again. Great as usual. If you are on the fence about playing it, I go for 40/40 most of the time and in my opinion it's my favorite build to league start a heavy push with.
nvm
Last edited by DamageIncorporated on Jul 27, 2022, 6:10:33 PM
"
sumfight wrote:
League started with it again. Great as usual. If you are on the fence about playing it, I go for 40/40 most of the time and in my opinion it's my favorite build to league start a heavy push with.

That's the only thing I'm on the fence when it comes to this build. I've played it this league as a finisher with very high end gear, and there the tankiness feels great, the dmg feels decent and it's very fun and smooth gameplay.

In prep of 3.19 I also ran cold dot since a lot of people praise its early game potential but quite honestly I don't see it. In direct comparison with Bane Occultist it loses every single comparison - it's less tanky, it has less boss dps and it definitely has less aoe clear compared to Bane + Profane Bloom. I even tried different variants, going from WTB to the final setup with Vortex/Cold Snap, pathing towards different keynodes for tankiness but nothing worked enough for me - so my genuine question: what's the progression rate u can achieve with it?
Maybe I just want too much than this build can deliver, because the Bane variant clears t13 blights on a 5link and level 80 with ssf-gear
"
Vennto wrote:
"
sumfight wrote:

That's the only thing I'm on the fence when it comes to this build. I've played it this league as a finisher with very high end gear, and there the tankiness feels great, the dmg feels decent and it's very fun and smooth gameplay.

In prep of 3.19 I also ran cold dot since a lot of people praise its early game potential but quite honestly I don't see it. In direct comparison with Bane Occultist it loses every single comparison - it's less tanky, it has less boss dps and it definitely has less aoe clear compared to Bane + Profane Bloom. I even tried different variants, going from WTB to the final setup with Vortex/Cold Snap, pathing towards different keynodes for tankiness but nothing worked enough for me - so my genuine question: what's the progression rate u can achieve with it?
Maybe I just want too much than this build can deliver, because the Bane variant clears t13 blights on a 5link and level 80 with ssf-gear

Based on what the patch notes say, this or bane are what I'm going for.

I know I just talked about if you are on the fence go for it, and I really do mean that to anyone new, but I've league started with it for a long time now, and other than gauntlet I've never played bane. If nothing happens to either I'll go bane just because I've played this so much. If this gets buffed and nothing to bane, I'll go with ol' reliable.

I know I did my bane run in gauntlet, but I think cold dot felt better in campaign than bane, but as I got closer to maps and my bane radius increased as well as mob density, I think bane might feel better in maps.

Unless something drastic happens, both are top tier league starters.
Never played this and something is rubbing me wrong, but looking for clarification /assurance; using Ele Focus...disabling chilling ( and freezing with Hypothermia), doesn't that completely gut survivability? I guess Vortex does the chilling?
Last edited by DamageIncorporated on Jul 28, 2022, 4:37:35 PM
"
sumfight wrote:
"
Vennto wrote:
"
sumfight wrote:

Based on what the patch notes say, this or bane are what I'm going for.

I know I just talked about if you are on the fence go for it, and I really do mean that to anyone new, but I've league started with it for a long time now, and other than gauntlet I've never played bane. If nothing happens to either I'll go bane just because I've played this so much. If this gets buffed and nothing to bane, I'll go with ol' reliable.

I know I did my bane run in gauntlet, but I think cold dot felt better in campaign than bane, but as I got closer to maps and my bane radius increased as well as mob density, I think bane might feel better in maps.

Unless something drastic happens, both are top tier league starters.

Aight, thanks for the answer. Maybe when the patchnodes are out we can talk a bit over cold dot leaguestart. You are clearly more experienced in that area and have some good advice how to improve the points im currently missing in comparison to other builds. I'll whisper u once patchnodes are out if thats okay :D
40/40 again. Wintertide Brand was okay, Vortex/Vaal Cold Snap feels way better with endgame setup.
"
Never played this and something is rubbing me wrong, but looking for clarification /assurance; using Ele Focus...disabling chilling ( and freezing with Hypothermia), doesn't that completely gut survivability? I guess Vortex does the chilling?

Elemental Focus only affects the hit of the spells not the damage overtime. That is why Elemental Focus has been used on damage overtime builds for almost a decade :P

Hypothermia isn't used for the freeze either since you can only freeze with hits and Wintertide Brand doesn't hit at all. It's used for only one line "30% more damage overtime."

However, if you want to try a cold dot build that has freeze. I made a variant that has Herald of Ice explosions. Not cheap though!!

https://youtu.be/fq1dOFI_Z-s
Last edited by donbrawler on Jul 30, 2022, 7:10:36 AM
"
Vennto wrote:
"
sumfight wrote:

Yea, your expecting too much too early for cold dot. Its great build and still my favorite league starters but it doesn't pop off in red maps like some league starters until you have gotten to level 90+. Cold Dot is really good for people who get through acts in 3-4 hours and get to 95 by day 2 and want to swap to another witch build or keep investing in cold dot.

If your still at level 80 rocking a tabula on week one and can't get to at least level 90. This isn't the build and don't expect it to be steam rolling red tier maps like some league starters without investment.
Last edited by donbrawler on Jul 30, 2022, 7:05:15 AM
"
donbrawler wrote:
"

Elemental Focus only affects the hit of the spells not the damage overtime. That is why Elemental Focus has been used on damage overtime builds for almost a decade :P

Hypothermia isn't used for the freeze either since you can only freeze with hits and Wintertide Brand doesn't hit at all. It's used for only one line "30% more damage overtime."

However, if you want to try a cold dot build that has freeze. I made a variant that has Herald of Ice explosions. Not cheap though!!

https://youtu.be/fq1dOFI_Z-s

That...would be my first thought but OP says it prevents it from chilling so I just ran with that. Oops on Hypothermia, been too long I guess.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info