(Retired Thread) Wallach's Hierophant Freezing Pulse Totems

"
Nightmare1304 wrote:
the Saboteur does a lot of damage, but dies too quickly, even tho i have capped res 5k+ life and i would say decent defence layers. With the Guardian it's the opposite: i tank more, but i do not enough damage to quickly kill the Elder spawns before they release those debuff areas on the ground making the fight impossible.
So i was trying to find something else, maybe more suited for this kind of fight.
I'm not really an expert on "which build is the best for killing uber elder first time", but Necromancers seem to be really strong this league and some builds like baron zombie can amass a lot of hp.

Juggernauts are also quite tanky by definition. So are maxblock gladiators.

Spoiler
Gonna drop a few ideas if you wanna check, disclaimer, I haven't played any of these just thought they could be what you're looking for:

Zombie Necro
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2624013

Tectonic Slam Juggernaut
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2589795

Facebreaker Gladiator
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2625637
Last edited by Viktranka on Oct 6, 2019, 7:22:17 PM
"
veenarm wrote:

I killed uber elder well before i got the gear I currently have.

He's doable on the duel kikazaru +1 totem shield one, this build everything I had i crafted myself in a private league.

You still have to dodge everything and not get hit, getting hit hurts, and if you take 2 hits you die obviously and the fight maybe takes 4-5minutes? not sure didn't count compared to current gear where it's < 2.

Well than probably i have to get better at dodging stuff. Thank you for your reply.
"
Viktranka wrote:
"
Nightmare1304 wrote:
the Saboteur does a lot of damage, but dies too quickly, even tho i have capped res 5k+ life and i would say decent defence layers. With the Guardian it's the opposite: i tank more, but i do not enough damage to quickly kill the Elder spawns before they release those debuff areas on the ground making the fight impossible.
So i was trying to find something else, maybe more suited for this kind of fight.
I'm not really an expert on "which build is the best for killing uber elder first time", but Necromancers seem to be really strong this league and some builds like baron zombie can amass a lot of hp.

Juggernauts are also quite tanky by definition. So are maxblock gladiators.

Spoiler
Gonna drop a few ideas if you wanna check, disclaimer, I haven't played any of these just thought they could be what you're looking for:

Zombie Necro
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2624013

Tectonic Slam Juggernaut
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2589795

Facebreaker Gladiator
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2625637

Thank you for your suggestions, i will look into these.
UE was ez with my totemer with bad gear (before atziris and stuff)

but i killed UE at least 10 times before in other leagues.

u should buy sets (they cost nothing) and practise the fight.

but .. the best ue killer imho is a vortex occultist.
Love this build, got my highest char in HC ever and i've jsut got back into the game after a 2 years break..i barely know what bosses does..got insanely lucky with the 6Linking after just 3 days into the char..my only issue is the low life..i've 3944 HP and 2131 Mana..i hope more levels will fix this..also i tried your CWD setup but i went back to IC, guess is personal preference! thanks again

"
rotheee wrote:

but .. the best ue killer imho is a vortex occultist.

Why if i may ask?
"
Nightmare1304 wrote:
"
Viktranka wrote:
"
Nightmare1304 wrote:
I ask because i have a lv.94 Saboteur and a lv.93 Guardian and i wasn't able to take down Uber Elder yet (i did Shaper with ease).
Tbh it's more of a question what causes problems with uber Elder for you, your guardian is really tanky and well invested saboteurs have potential to do great damage, so if it's neither the survivability issue nor damage, it's hard to pin point if this build would solve your problems. Personally I heard ice spear totems are better boss killers than frozen pulse (but frozen pulse is better for mapping).

Totem builds resemble saboteurs in a way they can play it safe from a distance, but can't really get tons of hp (soul mantle has 0) or get to "facetank" everything. So I'm just wondering if you play a totem character will you have similar issues as playing a saboteur, however I don't know what the exact issue was.

First of all, thank you for your kind reply. I will explain my problems: the Saboteur does a lot of damage, but dies too quickly, even tho i have capped res 5k+ life and i would say decent defence layers. With the Guardian it's the opposite: i tank more, but i do not enough damage to quickly kill the Elder spawns before they release those debuff areas on the ground making the fight impossible.
So i was trying to find something else, maybe more suited for this kind of fight. If Freezing Pulse totem is more map oriented than it's not what i need right now (even tho i like the build), because map wise i'm pretty fine, i completed the Atlas with ease. Well if you have any suggestion that would fit my situation would be appreciated. I will keep looking too.
Anyway, thank you.

The only thing I'd add to this other than what has already been said is that totem builds can be pretty good for learning mechanics fights like Uber Elder, since you don't have to focus nearly as much on your targeting. So long as you can just drop totems roughly in the area of the boss somewhere, you can mostly just focus on the boss' location and watching the fight mechanics to learn your positioning and phases and whatnot. It's one of the reasons I come back to totems as much as I do in this game; having your damage be sort of "unconnected" to your character position allows you a lot of freedom to move around and split your attention.

This definitely is not a build that is going to allow you tank a ton of damage, but really Uber Elder is more of a fight about avoiding damage altogether by understanding their attacks and the transitions that happen every quarter of their health. In that sense I find most any totem build pretty good for killing Uber Elder since it is more free to move around than most builds while still dealing damage and forcing phases, or dealing with add spawns while you are still avoiding dangerous positions on the screen.

This is my end gear so far.

Did I fuck up by going for spell gems instead all cold on my wand?

I want upgrade my ring, gloves, boots, and get two hatred watchers eye jewel next.

so far I have gotten 5 corruption chambers 3 poofs, 1 shaper, and 1 all white.

also reading on reddit I know want to gild some 85+ socketed rings, chance into essence worms and vaal.
Last edited by joewdye on Oct 8, 2019, 10:07:38 AM
HCSSF Update 3

Back to level 89 after 1 meh RIP and 2 hilariously bad RIPs while re-leveling. Three tabulas dead.

Still no soul mantle or clear mind. Only 1 kikazaru (chanced a topaz ring) but about 26 other unique rings. I've got a T3 Elreon in research as captain at the moment so fingers crossed I get a Kikazaru from that... Chanced a spidersilk robe into a unique - sadly the wrong armour (50/50 chance to be soul mantle I think). Hell I've found a Kaom's Heart, but not a soul mantle yet ><

Despite this I am finally into T10 maps (I try to methodologically clear each tier for atlas bonus). Clear is still decent, but can't complete blight maps as my DPS just isn't enough for the number of unique bosses that spawn. And yes my tower management is on point. Probably part of the problem is I am running item rarity to boost my chances to get soul mantle or kikazaru.

Sitting pretty safely at 6k hp, 900 es, nearly 3k mana. This will change once I get soul mantle and balance the HP more in line with my mana for MoM. Still haven't found my last trial for uber lab which is driving me mad. That may be the DPS boost needed for completing blight maps w/o soul mantle setup.

Oddly enough I had my first unique map at level 89. Can't believe how few I am finding - only from div cards or zana.

Still having fun and hoping not to die anymore...

Last edited by JSquare on Oct 8, 2019, 11:22:18 AM
"
joewdye wrote:

Did I fuck up by going for spell gems instead all cold on my wand?

No. All spell SKILL gems and all cold SKILL gems provide the same benefits for this build. Key is that it says "SKILL" gems. So neither benefits SUPPORT gems. Your wand is already god tier.

"
joewdye wrote:
also reading on reddit I know want to gild some 85+ socketed rings, chance into essence worms and vaal.

What's the point of a gilded fossil on a ring that you are going to chance? Just for the memes I guess O_o And vaaling it... why not just use vorici in research syndicate to white socket it... Looks like a good way to brick some high level bases.

Hopefully your helm is on the list of upgrades too.. enchant is fine, but the mods are meh - you could probably roll some frigid + pristine combos to get a life roll on it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info