(Retired Thread) Wallach's Hierophant Freezing Pulse Totems

"
Dmillz wrote:

If you replace Inc Critical Strikes with it you drop to 64 mana/totem cast meaning that you need to summon your totems 13 total times (8 after getting max charges) before the charges are lost. In my PoB build for this it ends up being worth 11% more damage assuming all charges are up. This bumps up to a whopping 22% more damage while using a Diamond Flask.

This looks nice on paper but what about Shaman's Dominion? 100% increased global critical strike chance if you've summoned a totem recently. I don't know about you but when I use that notable, I tend to place totems pretty often. And, considering Self Flagellation, summoning totems every few seconds also ensures a high number of curses on yourself. Personally, even with a 21/20 gem I don't think those 5 charges can be maintained for long
"
JSquare wrote:
The gem quality implies that the charges will naturally decay, but also be removed upon mana usage - so this may not work out as well as I think you are expecting it to work. Seems like a bit of an awkward gem to manage.

This is true it does imply that. I would guess 10s duration similar to other charges. This is probably still going to be a very high uptime and better than Inc Crit which is a pretty lackluster support gem. Lack of really strong supports makes it a good option for us even if it isn't amazing.

"
RO_MrGummy wrote:
This looks nice on paper but what about Shaman's Dominion? 100% increased global critical strike chance if you've summoned a totem recently. I don't know about you but when I use that notable, I tend to place totems pretty often. And, considering Self Flagellation, summoning totems every few seconds also ensures a high number of curses on yourself. Personally, even with a 21/20 gem I don't think those 5 charges can be maintained for long

This is true as well, but once again even with a lower uptime it's not that hard to beat out Inc Critical Strikes that only adds 20-25% more damage. Worth testing for sure, QoL is going to be the deciding factor.
IGN: Dmillz
Last edited by Dmillz on Sep 4, 2019, 3:09:26 PM
My bigger concern about Insipration will be that it requires you to summon 5 sets of totems to get back to full charges. That is going to hurt the real average returns of the buff. I think it looks like a competitive gem at least, but I'll probably play with the gem after league start before recommending it so I can get a sense of what the uptime feels like in regular play.

In terms of the skill tree, I think the only adjustments to the 95 tree is going to be pulling out of Arcane Swiftness and Soul Siphon to pick up the full 5 point mana wheel of Mystic Bulwark and Prodigal Perfection, and then you have a choice of pulling out of another 2-point mana notable (probably Righteous Decree) and Coordination for Arcane Capacitor. The results of that second change are pretty similar assuming you only simulate 20% increased Arcane Surge effect on you, but in reality you're going to generally bounce between 20% and 30% effectiveness most of the time, so I think it'll should be worth the exchange.

Edit - Actually it may be better to just drop a second existing 2-point mana notable, keep Coordination, and just get a mana minor (like finishing off the full Arcane Capacitor wheel) if you need the extra bit of mana to cover your life pool.
Last edited by Wallach on Sep 4, 2019, 3:27:54 PM
"
Wallach wrote:

In terms of the skill tree, I think the only adjustments to the 95 tree is going to be pulling out of Arcane Swiftness and Soul Siphon to pick up the full 5 point mana wheel of Mystic Bulwark and Prodigal Perfection...

Definitely report back on that one. For me in HC I would be worried about losing the 20% ailment and stun avoidance of arcane swiftness.
"
JSquare wrote:
"
Wallach wrote:

In terms of the skill tree, I think the only adjustments to the 95 tree is going to be pulling out of Arcane Swiftness and Soul Siphon to pick up the full 5 point mana wheel of Mystic Bulwark and Prodigal Perfection...

Definitely report back on that one. For me in HC I would be worried about losing the 20% ailment and stun avoidance of arcane swiftness.

Sure, if you're concerned about that on HC you can pretty much just exchange other current mana notables if you want; Mystic Bulwark seems like a pretty good pick up for HC compared to a regular 2-point mana notable.
Is killing all bandits for 2 passive points a more solid choice now instead of Alira after considering the new tree? or Alira is just as much important as in 3.7?
"
RO_MrGummy wrote:

Alira is 100% pick for any crit build.
IGN: Dmillz
"
dimmubreu wrote:
Is killing all bandits for 2 passive points a more solid choice now instead of Alira after considering the new tree? or Alira is just as much important as in 3.7?

I don't think the consideration of bandits changes too much really with the passive tree changes. The opportunity cost is still almost exactly the same as before, though I guess you get slightly more damage back if you decide to divert her directly into 2 points of mana instead. I still think she's too handy in the early game to take over 2 skill points, but just like in 3.7 it remains an option to switch out of later on (but is still not easy to justify due to her crit multiplier).
Why dont we use a golem in the last slot instead of portal or w/e?

Lightning Golem would give 20k dps for just being there. Yes, i know, single linked it dies pretty often but with a totem/perma chill/freeze build it shouldnt happen THAT often than at other builds.
Last edited by deimudda69 on Sep 4, 2019, 5:31:53 PM
"
deimudda69 wrote:
Why dont we use a golem in the last slot instead of portal or w/e?

Lightning Golem would give 20k dps for just being there. Yes, i know, single linked it dies pretty often but with a totem/perma chill/freeze build it shouldnt happen THAT often than at other builds.

You definitely can if you don't mind dealing with golems. For me it's just a similar case to trying to work in a trap setup in that I find it obnoxious to deal with. Feel free to toss one into your build.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info