[3.9] Gryph's CI Vortex + Coldsnap Trickster || Uber Elder+Everything Else

"
Gryphenprey wrote:
"
It seems that they hit hard spellcasters, patch notes will probably confirm it.

Also they did nerf down ''Ghost Dance'' for Tricksters (saw that in Manifesto)

Only thing is that they made some changes to Occultist ES regen, idk much about builds in general, maybe it would be wise to check it if we can use that class and ascendancy again (would be awesome..because we can always re-spec and play some summoner for example ;))..

Anyway...hope that this will still be ''viable'' i mean.. combination of CS and Vortex in next patch,heh..

Eager to read your toughts about ''balancing'' in 3.8, Gryphenprey!

"The Trickster's Ghost Dance passive was providing a bit too much defense for a single notable, so the chance to evade, reduced damage taken and amount of Energy Shield recovered has been lowered."

Depending on the actual numbers this probably won't be a big deal.

Spellcasters are getting a buff with new access to global +level of spell gems. This will likely be the new way to craft our weapons for multimodding. Will have to do number crunching once that's available.

The loss of mana leech from boot enchant has no effect on this build as we do not rely on leech for mana recovery, but rather the mana on kill from ascendancy and regen. Buff to mana flasks will make leveling easier.

Will have to wait for patch notes to know anything for sure but it looks like this build is going to lose a little bit of defense and be otherwise untouched. That said, our defenses have been so strong to begin with I don't think you're really notice.

This build will be just fine in 3.8. The boot enchant was nice for mana, but I found that with cinderswallow flask most mana problems went away anyways. I played the occultist version in betrayal, synthesis and legion (after the curb-stomp) and it was fine. This "nerf", even if they cut the values in half, should be tame in comparison to what occultist endured and that was still viable in Legion. It just sucked for clearing monoliths.

The +gems thing on the weapons are nice, but probably going to be a real pain in the ass to get with heartstopping (T1 cdot multiplier). This probably means that we'll have to craft a lower level of cdot multiplier on the weapon after alteration/annul spamming to get the +gems affix.

For tower defense, this build should be **really** good. If the monsters follow the paths, we just need to put patches of damage (vortex + cold-snap) we can put them where the monsters will walk through.. couple that with some frost/freeze towers and you get guaranteed chilled ground, which synergizes well with cold-snap/vortex + hypothermia. Vortex cool-down helm enchant will probably be best for more than 2 paths.

I'm still excited to move over to the trickster version in 3.8 :)

"
toxic678 wrote:

This build will be just fine in 3.8. The boot enchant was nice for mana, but I found that with cinderswallow flask most mana problems went away anyways. I played the occultist version in betrayal, synthesis and legion (after the curb-stomp) and it was fine. This "nerf", even if they cut the values in half, should be tame in comparison to what occultist endured and that was still viable in Legion. It just sucked for clearing monoliths.

The +gems thing on the weapons are nice, but probably going to be a real pain in the ass to get with heartstopping (T1 cdot multiplier). This probably means that we'll have to craft a lower level of cdot multiplier on the weapon after alteration/annul spamming to get the +gems affix.

For tower defense, this build should be **really** good. If the monsters follow the paths, we just need to put patches of damage (vortex + cold-snap) we can put them where the monsters will walk through.. couple that with some frost/freeze towers and you get guaranteed chilled ground, which synergizes well with cold-snap/vortex + hypothermia. Vortex cool-down helm enchant will probably be best for more than 2 paths.

I'm still excited to move over to the trickster version in 3.8 :)

Fun fact with trickster: built in cinderswallow. :)

But yes, I am also pretty hyped about the Tower defense + DoT Grounds mechanically. I'm optimistic about it.

I've never personally found the CDR Enchant that impressive, but that may also be because I clear with cold snap primarily. I'd rather have an aura reserve enchant to make implementing aspect of the spider easier.

As for weapon crafting, yes I agree. Will need to do some math in PoB to see what ends up being stronger. It's possible that just having one or the other with alt spamming will be good enough. Frigid fossils might be good for this too. Frigid+aetheric will greatly increase the odds of those two mods appearing and then if they're isolated we can always lock prefixes and annul+multimod. Would be an expensive endeavor, I'm sure.
"
Gryphenprey wrote:

For now ;) We'll see how bad the numerical nerf of ghost dance is. I'll still use cinderswallow flask - I'm a glutton for onslaught - gotta go fast. Plus, I use the variant that has run speed + 50% reduced stun chance. With that, arcane swiftness and the flask nodes, I got 92% stun avoidance.

I use phase run + cinderswallow to go fast - then an onslaught/phasing abyss gem and pretty much just run through everything and drop a vortex. Between the combination of them, I have more or less permanent phasing + onslaught.

Personally, I never really use cold-snap except to apply bone-chill to something beefy like bosses.

Gotta love that about this game - no real "right" way to play anything - tons of variation are possible.

Here is the final version of the occultist version from legion - maybe there is something there you can incorporate. https://pastebin.com/E56SM87W

Either way, I'll be playing the trickster version in 3.8 - will be fun to have an active group to collaborate with, since I think there were only like (3) people who played the occultist version in legion. ;)

"
toxic678 wrote:
"
Gryphenprey wrote:

For now ;) We'll see how bad the numerical nerf of ghost dance is. I'll still use cinderswallow flask - I'm a glutton for onslaught - gotta go fast. Plus, I use the variant that has run speed + 50% reduced stun chance. With that, arcane swiftness and the flask nodes, I got 92% stun avoidance.

I use phase run + cinderswallow to go fast - then an onslaught/phasing abyss gem and pretty much just run through everything and drop a vortex. Between the combination of them, I have more or less permanent phasing + onslaught.

Personally, I never really use cold-snap except to apply bone-chill to something beefy like bosses.

Gotta love that about this game - no real "right" way to play anything - tons of variation are possible.

Here is the final version of the occultist version from legion - maybe there is something there you can incorporate. https://pastebin.com/E56SM87W

Either way, I'll be playing the trickster version in 3.8 - will be fun to have an active group to collaborate with, since I think there were only like (3) people who played the occultist version in legion. ;)

I'll take a look. With Ghost Shrouds + Brine King stun is barely an issue. That said I had a setup in Legion with crafted Stun Avoidance on Gloves, Elder Stun boots, Arcane swiftness, and a Maraketh legion jewel that gave me 20% Avoidance+Onslaught on kill which resulted in 100% stun avoidance always.

Totally unneeded though.

And yeah, Spamming Cold Snap is (for me) the fastest way to clear since it has much larger AOE and is spammable. You can check out any number of my mapping videos for reference.

Cinderswallow is good, but I don't think we need it at all as trickster as we already have Life/Mana/Energy Shield on Kill in our ascendancy from Patient Reaper. better to use a different flask for utility (even if it's an onslaught flask)
So I wonder how the change to Damage over Time will affect this build, if at all. Hopefully PoB gets updated pretty quickly so we have time to tinker before the league start.
Question:

When i played this combo, in endgame..i used Coldsnap and Vortex, (cant remember what i spammed like madman and just stand infront of various mobs and bosses)...

But here i see Stormbrand (which i have 0 clue how it works >:( )

So.. what would be "proper" way to play this build?

Like...general mapping for example.

Need answer :D

Thx in advance!!!
"
Question:

When i played this combo, in endgame..i used Coldsnap and Vortex, (cant remember what i spammed like madman and just stand infront of various mobs and bosses)...

Thx in advance!!!

we need it to proc EE which gives -50 cold res to monsters storm brand hits.
be aware; dont wear anything gives your spells added cold damage.
Trust your mind and strengthen your abilities!
"
MrsDeath_ wrote:
"
Question:

Thx in advance!!!

we need it to proc EE which gives -50 cold res to monsters storm brand hits.
be aware; dont wear anything gives your spells added cold damage.

Im familiar with that part about EE and gear req's.

Not familiar how to "use" Stormbrand!

Do i need to like.. trigger it myself or not?

And how to play when i hit maps..like.. start -> run -> coldsnap -> spamm vortex -> thats it OR i need to also press buttons to trigger Stormbrand or what not :)

That is what's bothering me...to NOT be efficient while playing because im ignoring certain skills or mechanics.

"

And how to play when i hit maps..like.. start -> run -> coldsnap -> spamm vortex -> thats it OR i need to also press buttons to trigger Stormbrand or what not :)

That is what's bothering me...to NOT be efficient while playing because im ignoring certain skills or mechanics.

This is why we use the "Trigger a Socketed Spell When You Use a Skill" Bench crafted mod on our weapon--to automate the casting of stormbrand and Orb of Storms.

I will make a tweak in the guide to make this more obvious.
"
Gryphenprey wrote:
"

This is why we use the "Trigger a Socketed Spell When You Use a Skill" Bench crafted mod on our weapon--to automate the casting of stormbrand and Orb of Storms.

I will make a tweak in the guide to make this more obvious.

Thumbs up!

Was checking your 3.7 video and saw that you only use CS and Vortex and sometimes.. vaal skill (didnt check which one, tough).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info