[3.9] Gryph's CI Vortex + Coldsnap Trickster || Uber Elder+Everything Else

I just wanted to drop a quick line to express my gratitude for this build guide. I played an Occultist Vortex / CI build in the latter half of Betrayal and the entirety of Synthesis. After the absolute slaughter of the Occultist in 3.7, I felt lost at the beginning of Legion. I tried the meta Cyclone / ED builds but they just didn't feel right. Then I found your guide.

I was dubious at first. Could it really be as good as the old Occultist was without the gobs of regen and total stun / freeze immunity? I soon found out that it was better, so much better. I was comfortably farming Uber Elder with Apep's and Grace / Discipline sitting around 800k dps. Then after I switched to Atziri's Reflection and Malevolence, everything just melted. I made a few tweaks here and there like dropping shield charge + fortify for cwdt + chaos golem, but mostly kept to your guide.

I was afraid that being unable to play what had become my favorite build would diminish my enjoyment with PoE overall. I'm happy to say that that isn't the case thanks to you and your guide. This will be my go-to build in future leagues unless something happens that makes it unplayable.
"
ILjXYZ wrote:
I just wanted to drop a quick line to express my gratitude for this build guide. I played an Occultist Vortex / CI build in the latter half of Betrayal and the entirety of Synthesis. After the absolute slaughter of the Occultist in 3.7, I felt lost at the beginning of Legion.

I wouldn't say that thr occultist was slaughtered, but it's definitely weaker than the past two leagues, such that I'm having a hard time pushing it past 95. Then again, that might be my fault as I'm trying to push delve. This league I've pushed the occultist to around 2m dps (with chill and all flasks up.) 12k ES. My profile is public if you are curious.

With that said, next league I'll play the trickster version of vortex. This season's second character was an ed trickster, and I was completely shocked by the survivability to the point where I'd expect it to get nerfed again.
How rare is the "supported by level 1 Arcane surge" mod from Aetheric fossil? I'm trying out new builds to close out the league and am trying to craft the chest for this build but am having trouble finding people to sell me Aetheric fossils in any quantity. Am I going to need 10 Aetheric fossils or 100? I made 7 attempts at Aetheric / Dense this morning and didn't get a single Arcane surge support roll but perhaps I just got unlucky
Last edited by litmusdragon on Aug 15, 2019, 9:44:43 AM
"
litmusdragon wrote:
How rare is the "supported by level 1 Arcane surge" mod from Aetheric fossil? I'm trying out new builds to close out the league and am trying to craft the chest for this build but am having trouble finding people to sell me Aetheric fossils in any quantity. Am I going to need 10 Aetheric fossils or 100? I made 7 attempts at Aetheric / Dense this morning and didn't get a single Arcane surge support roll but perhaps I just got unlucky

In my experience it's like 1/5 or so to hit that mod. It's not particularly common.
After playing Occu CI Vortex for 2 leagues, i went away for this league ..
I really like Scourge Arrow for a while, but the stand and shoot kind of play is putting me off..

i made a Trickster following ur guide, and its a blast .. although i feel a bit squishy compared to my Occu ..

could u take a look into it?

https://pastebin.com/sEAM67Fw
Managed to craft some halfway decent gear

Build seems very tanky so far (only level 72)

My main for most of this league was a templar freezing pulse totem build which I enjoyed but it really lacked defenses. Giving this a try to see if I like the playstyle better. So far so good!
Last edited by litmusdragon on Aug 17, 2019, 10:16:48 AM
"
RoanKir wrote:
After playing Occu CI Vortex for 2 leagues, i went away for this league ..
I really like Scourge Arrow for a while, but the stand and shoot kind of play is putting me off..

i made a Trickster following ur guide, and its a blast .. although i feel a bit squishy compared to my Occu ..

could u take a look into it?

https://pastebin.com/sEAM67Fw

It's gonna be your watcher's eye most likely. If you, like me, like to charge into packs of monsters with no fear, then you will want to have an ES on Hit Discipline Watcher's Eye. Combo with CWDT Ball Lightning and you will feel substantially tankier for mapping, delving, anything except bosses (but we have good defense mechanics for bossing anyways)

Adding Aspect of the Spider will help by slowing things, also a damage boost.

Maybe also try to get more ES on gear. Flat ES goes a long way.
I'm probably missing something but, since Cold Damage over time Multi is available on the crafting bench, why is that the mod that we're shooting for when alt spamming the endgame weapon?

edit:

Because the bench version is 2H only. My bad
Last edited by litmusdragon on Aug 18, 2019, 8:38:51 AM
Is this build SSF viable? I'm thinking in the sense of how well does it do on as hybrid until you can craft the ES gear. Doesn't look like there are any REQUIRED uniques.
It's SSF viable for sure. You'll likely need to stick to being Hybrid for a while longer than in trade leagues but that's fine. As a league start I'm usually hybrid until the mid 70's.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info