[3.7] LL RF Scorching Ray Guardian | 19K ES | 52k Armour|1.5 mil dps| Uber Elder & HoGM DEATHLESS

Converted my magma orb character to this today, feels really good, don't have watcher's eye, but have pretty much everything else i think. I have 11, 085 ES - been following the uber elder build tree, is that what i'm supposed to do? - I can see the regular tree is quite different.
Anyway, attempted red elder - I didn't die but shaper did.... not sure, I think i was proccing EE fine, but when looking at my path of building versus the uber elder path of building, my scorching ray is only 250k versus 850k, is there something i am doing wrong to have poor damage, my jewels are not the best, i admit, but they are far from terrible.
Worth doing lab to get 2% reg enchant on this?
"
Armagan wrote:
Hey, love the build !!!

But I could use some help increasing my maximum regen I'm not degening but I dont have enough to regenerate through big blows

https://pastebin.com/tSyh7sC8

Any tips would be appreciated thank you

Try this tree :

https://pastebin.com/LcJ5nKdG

You will have less ES, but way more regen. And your res will be higher (for those who will be lvl 20).
But you will have way more jewel slot in order to upgrade your ES and your dps.

"
werbenyager wrote:
is there a way to incorporate the new Doryani boots for more max Fire res?

Those boots may be usable in some RF build, but not in this one. You will face mana reservation issues.
Except the extra fire res (we don't realy need) the only good thing of this boots is the flat elem dmg (if not fire).
Otherwise those boots are mediocre boots for this build in comparaison of Sin Trek or rare ES boots.

"
Kronictaco wrote:
do you also have an image of where each jewel goes so i know im doing this right? i believe i dont have enough life to be able to use purity of ice, and also does the +1 socket from the wrappings "really" necessary for the supports gems? thanks

1 Healthy Mind in the Witch jewel sock.
You can use reste of jewels sock for rare if you have %Es/2-3dmg affixes. If you don't have those kind of jewels, you can use Healthy Mind in some sock :
- Jewel in Templar area (between Devotion and Faith and Steel) ;
- Jewel in Marauder area (under Barbarism) ;
- Jewel just at right of Combat Stamina ;
- Jewel just under Pain Attunement but only if you took the Melding wheel.

For your second question on Shavronne +1 corruption, it's not necessary to make this build working. But if you have the currency for this, it's a big dps upgrade. Something like +20% more SR dps.

"
Qque wrote:
Is this build still viable in 3.4? What is the difference?

No nerf for this build. But some upgrade like Vaal Righteous Fire working with ES. If possible, I will try to test this league a Soul Ripper setup for VRF to see how offent VRF can be used in mapping and in bossing. But with this change, our dps had been extremly buffed.

"
Zeypha wrote:
Converted my magma orb character to this today, feels really good, don't have watcher's eye, but have pretty much everything else i think. I have 11, 085 ES - been following the uber elder build tree, is that what i'm supposed to do? - I can see the regular tree is quite different.
Anyway, attempted red elder - I didn't die but shaper did.... not sure, I think i was proccing EE fine, but when looking at my path of building versus the uber elder path of building, my scorching ray is only 250k versus 850k, is there something i am doing wrong to have poor damage, my jewels are not the best, i admit, but they are far from terrible.

Few reminder :
- The trees proposed by Zzang are builded on his stuff, so with a Watcher's Eye with a regen buff. And at the same time, with an extremly min-maxed stuff.
- zzang checkmarked options in his PoB that will show the highest number in PoB. But when you try to scall dps on Shaper, without temporary or situationnal buffs, zzang have around 500k SR dps.

Now what's the bigest difference between your character and his character ?
Your rares are not realy goods. One of your Opal isn't good.
Looks for 40+str/40+intel/40+ES/60+mana as a base. One of your ring should have 45+dex, and the other a flat light/cold dmg.
Your ES belt should have more stats, and master craft it (balance your res with it). you might use fossil craft in order to have a better rolls belt.
Try to have a paire of high ES boots.
On the ground of Jewel you should looks for 7-8%ES / %Burning / +1 extra dps mods (%DOT/%dmg/%fire).

But the bigest upgrade would be a Watcher's Eye with the Clarity mana to ES buff.
guys i facetank almost every content of the game but have problem with something.... shaper is dying on red elder encounter. any idea how can i fix it? i tried decoy totem but it didnt help much.

and if any1 can check my profile to help me what should i do next, would be awsome. i know belt and rings could be better, but i dont think they would change much. i got 10.4k es atm
Hello and thanks for the guide. I'm an old player which got back to PoE last month after a few years break (started in mid Ambush league and quit in the early days of Talisman league). That is to say I have lot of catching up to do with new game mechanics, so please be patient with me.
As of now I'm playing arc trapper and I'm VERY happy with it, but my pc is old and sometimes suffer +4 seconds freezes on some bosses, so I'm looking for something more tanky for boss killing.
Last month I bought a Shavs for an Aegis Aurora which got killed just a few days later by the 3.4 patch notes... so I thought I'd give this build a try. A few questions if I may:

1) First and foremost: for some reason my regen is negative, and I don't understand why... here's my POB: https://pastebin.com/2C2KR0MK

Some things to note:

-My Purity of Fire is "only" lvl 20 (but according to POB my regen would be negative even with a lvl 21).
-I'm pretty sure I have all relevant regen nodes.
-I got a shaper's belt (I know, it's bad, will replace it eventually). That helped mitigate the degen, but it's still not enough.
-I made sure to respec my bandit reward to Oak.
-I'm still scraping together my gear... I'm aware that rings, boots, belt and jewels are crap, but I'm unwilling to spend more currency on this build until I figure out what's causing the degen.
-The boots are from an old Ambush RF character. I don't plan to keep them, but for the moment they're the best I have since the 3% regen is really helping me stay afloat.
-No uber lab for now, but that shouldn't affect the regen either.

2) Not quite sure about stats importance for this build. How do I weight them in order of importance? STR > ES > MANA > INT? Which one can I afford to drop from my rares? Is INT actually important or kind of a bonus stat?

3) Is Fortify really necessary with that much armor? I like the movement speed of Shield Charge, but it doesn't cross ledges so I'd rather use another movement skill (or even two if I can drop fortify).

Thanks in advance for your help!
Last edited by Poldo6 on Sep 18, 2018, 7:44:19 AM
1) You degen because your actual max energy shield is very low. About 5k is not enough for sure. Your gear would feel much better if it was min-maxed just a little bit (your memory vault has low es roll, and you can get a very good one within just 10-20c , your astramentis is low rolled too). On top of that, you are using blood dance boots (in my opinion sin trek especially with regen enchant would outperform your boots entirely, but if you are using them make sure to check 'are you using frenzy charges' box in pob configuration, and you suddenly get 200 life regen and almost stop degening) . In terms of rings you know yourself they are bad, primarily you need str on them and you have none, then you should look for int/es/mana, and you probably will also need dex on one ring). For the belt you have too have es recovery and you do but other than that your belt doesnt provide pretty much anything : look for str, es and some resists.

Upgrading the gear I have mentioned will make you positively regen without ticking any boxes like being on consecrated ground or using ruby flask.

On a side note, your jewels are incredibly bad you use some magic jewels or jewels which have only one stat that you even benefit from. On jewels you should search for either maxes/burning/fire/dot/str+int/allres . If a jewel has 3 of these stats, you can consider it good.

Also worth pointing out that you should work on your flask setup. You surely shouldnt use life or mana flask, personally I run witchfire brew(great dmg boost), one sulphur, one ruby, and two quicksilvers).

2. It depends on gear but generally str/int/es/mana

3. Fortify reduces damage taken in general, not just physical hits. Having said that, I personally dont use shield charge setup, both because there are some gems I find more important, and because I dont feel like moving with shield charge on this character is most efficient. I prefer running two quicksilvers with high adrenaline rolls and use flame dash with faster casting for dodging and moving through obstacles.

If you need some reference I will link my pob here, it's just lvl 80 but already tanky enough to facetank all content. You can disable watchers if you feel you wont be able to fit it in your build.

https://pastebin.com/D02Vy1We
Last edited by Grozaa on Sep 18, 2018, 7:48:01 AM
"
guys i facetank almost every content of the game but have problem with something.... shaper is dying on red elder encounter. any idea how can i fix it? i tried decoy totem but it didnt help much.

Honestly I've been having same issue and trying to work this out. First of all it should be said this build isnt made for that phase since we cant reliably make sure that all portals are dead and we also cant deal with all the mobs at once. The way I approach it now is that I make use of the fact that we ourselves are tanky enough that we dont really have to care about us being hit in that phase. So what you should focus on is get frost wall+ increased duration+ faster casting, and set those walls to protect shaper. Those walls cant be destroyed so once you have this skill on good level and you learn how to place them this phase should be doable without shaper dying.
"
Grozaa wrote:
1) You degen because your actual max energy shield is very low. About 5k is not enough for sure.

Thanks for the reply. There might be some key mechanic I don't understand here: RF consumes a fixed % of energy shield and life. This is countered by raising life regen and max fire res, but it shouldn't matter whether I have 5k or 20k ES. Is there something I'm missing?

As a side note, your comment made me realize POB has a consecrated ground setting I hadn't spotted before, so thank you.

"
Grozaa wrote:
you probably will also need dex on one ring).

Why dexterity?

"
Grozaa wrote:
3. Fortify reduces damage taken in general, not just physical hits.

Even then, I assume that on boss encounters one doesn't just stop channeling SR to refresh fortify. For running around and dodging I too would rather use flame dash (or maybe I could try leap slam too, but I never really liked that skill).

"
Grozaa wrote:
2. It depends on gear but generally str/int/es/mana

In that order? If yes, why is INT so important for this build?

"
Grozaa wrote:
jewels/rings/flasks are terribad

Please disregard those for now, I haven't even begun thinkering with jewels and rings. I'm aware that life/mana flasks are useless, I'm just using them for curse/bleed/freeze removal. Once I craft some ruby flasks I'll be using those of course. Speaking of which: is item lvl of any importance for crafting flasks?

As a side note, how do people trade nowadays? Part of the reason my gear is so bad is that I can't find people to trade with. Most of those who are playing in Delve can't be bothered to relog, and of the few who are still on Standard not many bother to reply to my whispers. This is really frustrating.
Last edited by Poldo6 on Sep 18, 2018, 9:57:49 AM
1. In general, you are correct that rf degen balancing relies on reducing fire dmg taken to the extent where our percentage regeneration is good enough to outweigh it. In that exact context I meant more than your low max es number makes it so that you cant comfortably handle degen with temporary sources like sulphur or ruby. It should be mentioned that there are sources of raw numerical regen like stone golem or vitality watcher's, but that's different thing. So to conclude you need to take some few steps to actually make this regen positive (like getting extra level of purity of fire or some regen on tree), however once you even slightly go beyond positive what will matter most it your actual es value(the more you have, the more this "1%over degen" means).

2. I said maybe, that is you could need it if you were to use sin trek boots to meet its dex requirements

3. Yes, indeed there are some situations where you cant reliably proc fortify when you actually need it

4. Intelligence is important because its basic scaling is superior for this build: we get %increased es, and we also gain mana which transforms to even more es and armour.

5. Item level isnt any issue for flasks, just spam few alts and you should be good, just make sure to have them 20 quality

6. People rarely play standard and most of them don't care about it at all so you shouldn't be suprised they cant be bothered to sell things on standard if you dont want to play leagues
"
Grozaa wrote:
1 [...]

I checked again your and zzang's POB and I think I have a better understanding of how things work now. Without Consecrated Ground, ruby flasks and Watcher's Eye, and boots enchant, your regen is barely positive. Without lvl 21 PoF and lvl < 20 vitality it even goes in the negative.
So to be clear, to keep ES up this build relies more on ascendancy and flasks rather than natural %life regen as I had initially assumed. Sorry if I was being dense, but it wasn't all that clear in the OP.

"
Grozaa wrote:
2. I said maybe, that is you could need it if you were to use sin trek boots to meet its dex requirements

Ah, I see. Not a problem for now while I have Astramentis. Though I'd rather go for a pair of rare boots, eventually.

"
Grozaa wrote:
3. Yes, indeed there are some situations where you cant reliably proc fortify when you actually need it

Then I'll probably try to replace it with something else as soon as I get the rest of my gear right.

4-5. Allright, thanks for the detailed explanation. You've been very helpful. :)

6. That's fair, but it still sucks. It's not that I don't want to play leagues (my trapper IS in Delve) but it would take me ages to get even a 6l Shavs. I'm really terrible at trading and farming currency. Meanwhile, all my currency and high level characters are already on Standard, so I thought it would be easier to try a build here, rather than starting from scratch in a new league. But apparently it's not THAT easy. :\

One last question, if I may?

Would it be possible to introduce leech in the build via Ghost Reaver and Doryani's fire belt? Regen would be lower of course, but the leech should make up for it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info