Viper Strike

Would it be accurate to state that only Faster Attacks, and Increased Duration support gems work with Viper Strike DOT? What other support gems would you consider using with this skill? I thought maybe added Chaos/Cold, but they won't effect the DOT, just the initial hit correct? Multi-Strike maybe?

Vulnerability curse, and increased skill/buff duration passives. That is about it? I was thinking about using it as a boss/rare/reflect/single attack. While using Cleave for AOE attacks. Sword/board setup by the way.
Damage over Time does not cause Hits, so Supports such as Added X and Blind have no Hits to trigger on. Still applies to the direct hit, I suppose.

There's definitely more than two/three Supports worth considering though. Kinda depends on whether you're using it to kill bosses, or only to apply Charges.

Honestly I'm not very keen on Increased Duration either way. You're probably going to want +Gem Levels anyways because it's huge, which easily brings the duration above seven seconds. That's pretty long, and should the need arise you can just punch the monster once every five seconds. That's just my opinion though, plenty of slots to play with.

FA is pretty much a no-brainer. Go for it.

Multistrike's a pretty interesting one currently. It drastically reduces time spent applying Charges, if you can land all hits. You don't really decide what you attack with Multistrike :P
Once they rework Damage over Time to benefit and suffer from 'regular' modifiers it loses all charm, but who knows when that's going to happen.

Additional Accuracy can be useful if you're not at something like 90%+ Chance to Hit already. Reduces time spent applying Charges.

If you're exclusively using Viper Strike on bosses, and no other Skills, then time spent applying Charges isn't really relevant. You'll be hitting them often enough. In that case, Culling and Added Chaos/Cold are actually pretty interesting, and Blind can still be useful.

Culling takes care of the last bit of Life, for one, but also allows you to land the killing blow much easier -- that combines nicely with the IIQ/R Supports, which do not trigger off the DoT, but will work with Culling.

Added X are just more damage for a faster kill. Simple. Chaos is interesting for its raw DPS, Cold for the easy Chill and good damage. WED if you have a high-Elemental weapon, natch.

Blind doesn't trigger on the DoT, but you're also pummeling the monster. Blind basically neuters Accuracy-based monsters when it triggers.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Sep 5, 2013, 4:50:50 PM
ViperMagi- First off thank you for taking the time to write that all out, much appreciated. I will chew on it.

Second I didn't add that I will be using Bear Trap/Culling Strike/A.FireD. Fire Trap with I.AOE/Ignite/Fire Pen, and lastly Shockwave Totem with blind/faster Casting. I found blind worked nice on a previous character with Shockwave totem, and I didn't even have the faster casting, and low level, not enough STR to keep leveling blah blah blah. And it worked ok.

So maybe A.Chaos, and Cold, Faster attacks with Viper strike would work then. Multi-strike, maybe instead of one of the damage supports.

Mix the salad all up and hopefully it will workout in the end-run I guess.
I think,viper strike will benefit greatly from a new empower gem.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
REDUCED DURATION!

Can someone please tell me how this support works with Viper Strike?
I'm thinking maybe it keeps the same Dot dmg but reduces the time. Ofc I'm thinking that because it would be really awesome, nearly doubling the dmg at high levels.

Looking at the wording it would make sense but it's prolly too good to be true.
Has anyone tested this?

Also what would be a good chaos dmg build? Since VS doesn't work with melee splash it seems to me Poison Arrow and stacking physical dmg is the only(good) way.
Reduced Duration is exactly that and nothing more: a shorter duration.
Damage per Second is exactly that: the damage dealt every second.
Fewer seconds -> less damage.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Nov 4, 2013, 8:14:35 AM
Does Viper Strike work with Added Chaos Damage support gem?
"
Veracocha wrote:
Does Viper Strike work with Added Chaos Damage support gem?
quality added chaos will boost the DoT of viper strike. the extra flat chaos damage from that support would only apply to the hit portion of the skill.

edit: i'm falling behind :D *throws a whale at vipermagi*
Last edited by soul4hdwn on Nov 7, 2013, 1:44:47 PM
Silly Soul, you know that Increased Damage doesn't apply to Damage over Time yet :(
It's a myth that Qual ACD works on Poison Arrow and Viper Strike.
I love to see if this skill was a buff.

Adds chaos DOT dmg to attack.

"
Applies poison on your blade.
Duration: 60 sec
Mana Cost : 100
Deals 50 chaos per second and can stack up to four times.

The damage is lower because it was "buff", that mean, you can apply debuff with another skill which is got higher dps.
Last edited by lightmoon on Nov 11, 2013, 8:32:29 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info