Wild Strike

Spoiler
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
ok, a lot of discussion on how to scale this skill etc, fair play.

i want to talk about something else though, the actual skill and what I think about playing with it.

This is really a game of 2 halves with wild strike, its a really fun, dynamic, explosive, visceral skill that I really enjoy in those regards, it could be an awesome skill, has a CoC vibe, I want to love it. But its also a crap skill I would never make a build for and this is why...

The initial hit, thats the problem with this skill, its the same reason static strike is a crap skill and Frost Blades completely outclasses these skills in endgame. You just have to be too close to the mobs, it makes it so slow and awkward to play with. Theres quite a few melee attacks like this, molten strike at least you can spawn ur balls without actually hitting anything, every other skill where contact is needed and theres no aoe like reave or increased weapon range like blades feels like utter crap, clears like a snah il and as far as my gaming goes the might as well not exist where melee is concerned.

What I think this skill needs is a 90 degree small aoe style cleave swing shape in front of the player. It shouldnt actually BE aoe, shouldnt scale with aoe, should only be pushed out a little further with weapon range, but it needs that to trigger because its just too horrible without it, completely insufferable.

Think about 20, 30, 50 years from now in gaming, lets imagine you try and recreate this game, with unthinkable computing power how are attacks going to be calculated? Surely its going to be properly modeled physics right? youll actually swing the weapon, it will move through the 'air' with weight and speed. The vast majority of attacks will have a cleave like area where the weapon swings through space, only stabby type moves are going to consist of a spike like aoe. Wild Strike, I dunno to me it sounds like a swing not a stab/lunge, most attacks should be swings and they should have a swing type area.

I may be wrong but I have a vague memory that most of the attacks in this game do have a small little aoe thing that theyre hitting in front of you, its not scaled by aoe modifiers but its there. I dunno if thats right or not but this skill needs a far bigger one if they do exist and melee skills in general need to start doing this imo. It should be a very, very niche skill that requires the sort of "literally cuddle the mob and stab it" sort of play this skill has.

Other thoughts, only other down side is the mana cost. not sure why the cost is so high, whats the deal there? Its pretty much a shit skill with such limited clear speed I would never actually play it, how does anything about it justify that mana cost? I dunno, seems odd.

Everything else about the skill is great, its a skill with so many really good factors, really exciting aspects but its completely destroyed by its range, it renders the skill unusably bad and a complete failure for me. Frost Blades has the right idea, you need range like that or you need a small aoe cleave style initial hit, these melee frenzy style poke an enemy toe to toe to make the skill work things need to go, the entire concept is rotten and virtually all those skills suck.

have you even tried the skill? It has an amazing range, sometimes I even offscreen with the arc.

Last edited by GVHL on Jul 22, 2015, 12:04:36 PM
no Ive never tried it obviously.

you offscreen with the arc... right, after default attacking a mob so close to you if you took a proper swing at it youd hit it with your forearm.
In its current state wild strike sadly leaves alot to be desired imo, the secondary effects have 0 synergy between each-other except for damage or speed so you can't do anything interesting, the fact that melee physical damage is basically worthless on it due to the secondary effects not benefiting from it, melee splash does not create extra copies of the secondary effects which is understandable due to aoe overlap but still limits the interesting things you can do with the skill. I leveled a dual claw character to the mid forties using wild strike in a tabula to test various support gems and honestly the skill needs something as it levels to improve its ability to hit multiple enemies or needs to hit harder to be worth it.

The only synergy I can think of with wild strike is EE however this heavily restricts your gearing since any flat ele damage on gear completely screws up using EE, one change to the skill gem that would work with this is potentially converting all elemental damage to the chosen element that would open up its synergy with EE however it would basically make it mandatory for wild strike.

A potential change for level scaling if the damage is not improved would be adding +1 projectiles every 7 levels to the ice portion and + a small aoe increase every level for the fire portion as the lightning portion already improves as you level the gem.

I was really looking forward to this gem however as it stands its kinda a disappointment I really hope someone can find a way to make it good outside of a coc delivery system.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:
Also, Wild Strike tooltip is WRONG AND MISLEADING! It doesnt include its 60% conversion into tooltip, what's why with WED linked, and/or with WED bonuses from gear, it will show far less DPS than it really does.

This happens because it cannot know which Element to Convert to; each Element has its own set of modifiers. Same reason Elemental Hit does not show its random Damage either.

They could make 3 different columns in the tooltip :)
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
I'm doing 50k tooltip dps with wilddtrike as a dual crit phys dagger ranger,

I've done loads of testing and to me the best clear speed is with GMP, even if it only benifits the FP part of the spell it is totally worth it.

I just swap out gmp for bosses, but imo it isn't that game changing
Last edited by Myhanus on Jul 24, 2015, 12:30:08 PM
it would be viable for sword and board templar?
"Brutus transformed himself out of fear. Fidelitas did so out of love."

sdfsdfsdf name already exist O_O
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:
"
Vipermagi wrote:
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:
Also, Wild Strike tooltip is WRONG AND MISLEADING! It doesnt include its 60% conversion into tooltip, what's why with WED linked, and/or with WED bonuses from gear, it will show far less DPS than it really does.

This happens because it cannot know which Element to Convert to; each Element has its own set of modifiers. Same reason Elemental Hit does not show its random Damage either.

They could make 3 different columns in the tooltip :)

so does this mean "Arcing Blows" passive (lit dmg with weapons) is added to all parts of the attack also??
What, no. That's completely unrelated :/ By the time Damage modifiers are being handled, it's alreadt very clear which effect has triggered.
I've been testing around with this skill for a few days now and I've come up with a few things. First of all, I do love the skill but I wish you could just attack the ground and still at least get the fireball and ice pulse. That alone would make it much more enjoyable. As far as builds I've found the best success with scepters rolled with good phys dmg. My favorite was dual wield duelist with, first, supreme truth's and then doryani's catalyst. However, it can be a little difficult to scale and I find that without using scepters it can get a little awkward.

There is some diversity in that you can choose to go full physical and just have the conversion take care of it for you or you can embrace the 60% ele and do a more hybrid damage build taking a lot of the nodes around the templar tree. Gear choices beyond phys heavy scepters seems to be a lot harder. Wild strike, molten strike, frost blades, etc all share this same issue and are roughly comparable.

As far as gems are concerned there is some variety but there seems to be a clear cut best option. The basic 4 link would be WS-Faster Attacks-Weapon Ele-Multistrike. Then depending on how you want to build you have a lot of leeway. If you want to go really heavy phys you can go added fire damage, if you want crit you can do crit multi and the 6th is really whatever you want. I've also enjoyed grabbing point blank in the tree (if I'm passing by) just for better single target damage as it won't effect the clear of the arc or the explosion and I don't really value the ice pulse for it's great AoE ability.

Tooltip for the skill is terrible and means almost nothing.

Also if you are going the scepter phys/ele hybrid route I've also found great success using a 3 herald build and it's one of the few melee abilities where I would, in some cases, use a herald other than fire and an aura other than hatred for damage.

So all in all I really appreciate the diversity of the skill but the thing that makes me not want to use it is having to actually target a mob with it. It would help so much to be able to target ground and still manage to launch 2/3 of the attacks (not sure if that would possible).
"
waffenheimer wrote:

so does this mean "Arcing Blows" passive (lit dmg with weapons) is added to all parts of the attack also??

No it would only increase the lightning part.
IGN - WazaBaza

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info