Wild Strike

Hello there GGG, i have completly fallen in love with the new skill Wild strike, but there's a huge problem with the skill, there is absolutely 0 reason to pick Wild strike over Reave, except for the fact that it is alot more fun to use. I have listed some things that make reave better and hopefully you will take a look at wildstrike so that i can be more on even footing with the all mighty (and boring) reave!

1. Reave does not require a target, so you can attack from a distance.
2. Reave does not convert our physical dmg, so leeching is 1000000 times better.
3. Reave has a much more reliable AoE effect, you know what you will get, and that is a really large cone of AoE in front of your character.
4. The mana scaling on Reave is far lower than that of Wild strike, which makes it a lot easier and more versatile.
5. And lastly, because reave has a very large AoE, it makes it better for, first of all damage, and second of all better for leeching/life gain on hit.
IGN: Aintgonnadie
I too wonder why I should use Wild Strike over the melee tagged, ranged skill Reave.

It bothers me that i for example cannot make full use of shield nodes with % increased melee phys even though Wild Strike requires you to always be in melee range.
With Reave it's possible to make full use of those nodes and still play ranged, very odd.

I don't enjoy Reave because it encourages a ranged playstyle due to its cone and I think Wild Strike is a lot of fun. But not encouraging shield nodes on a skill that requires you to be in melee range is a very odd decision.
Last edited by Illviljan on Jul 28, 2015, 6:08:58 PM
"
Illviljan wrote:
I too wonder why I should use Wild Strike over the melee tagged, ranged skill Reave.

It bothers me that i for example cannot make full use of shield nodes with % increased melee phys even though Wild Strike requires you to always be in melee range.
With Reave it's possible to make full use of those nodes and still play ranged, very odd.

I don't enjoy Reave because it encourages a ranged playstyle due to its cone and I think Wild Strike is a lot of fun. But not encouraging shield nodes on a skill that requires you to be in melee range is a very odd decision.

Yeah , when I figured out that those points are wasted, I had to totaly redesign my tree. rip regrets
Level 63 currently act3 merciless on tempest league. using a marauder with pillar of hte caged god, lots of life, capped resists, tons of strength, lots of plus physical dmaage on gear.

Have blood magic keystone, no auras, but have high life regen to sustain wild strike.

4L with weapon ele, phys to lightning, multistrike. I also like added fire, and also thought about using quality innervate on a 5l. Faster attacks I would assume would be decent as well.

Single target dps is awful, rares can take a long time or be somewhat decent.

Group kill speed is decent, but it is a bit clunky. The arc is really nice for spread out mobs, can be quite powerful, up to 6 chains now.

I feel it would be better if the aoe fire damage scaled with level like the chains but with increased aoe size, and you got multiple projectiles with level for your ice effect.

Also it would be nice if the effects also hit the primary target, so you don't need a secondary single target ability.

I think those changes would make it less clunky, you could in turn also increase the melee range slightly. I just picked up master of the arena, so will see if that is sufficient, which it might be if I had more projectiles or a larger aoe on the fire portion. I tried support gems on other chars, and inc aoe was cool, gmp was only so so, but what I am using now scales all the damage properly, no room for extra supports that don't help everything.

I'm getting through content just fine, but I run into many people that have simpler builds that are much more powerful, like my other char is flame totem, it's just easy, incinerate is extremely powerful as well as simple things like shock nova.

I also noticed this league a large portion of people doing high damage are crit specced. I hope that isn't a requirement to make this ability work, and hope I don't have to build around crit on every char to be viable.
Last edited by SEOINAGE on Jul 29, 2015, 11:25:50 PM
I have posted my findings about the skill at https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1367427.
^^^^ Listen to this guy GGG, he is completly correct in his analysis ^^^^
IGN: Aintgonnadie
Picked up Abyssus, and still alive in tempest. Damage is about 10k without heralds or auras. Using innervate means I am doing a lot more damage than that as well.

So far enjoying the skill fairly well. set up so i am doing 100% elemental damage, always have onslaught up etc.

I want to boost hp a bit more, have a few more life nodes to grab etc still. just trying to stay alive as I storm through content.

But like I said before it could use a little love, see my previous post.
Last edited by SEOINAGE on Jul 31, 2015, 12:49:11 PM
no wonder it feels clunky... pillar??

and the reason for shield nodes being hard is... try dualwield ;)

30kdps on the tooltip so its probably way more. this skill is awesome.. its barely a melee skill. you atk the edge of one mob and the whole crowd lights up. mobs behind you, mobs 2screens away. its almost as autofarm as multiflicker...

and singletarget is huge. run poachers mark for free mana and no accuracy needed on tree, or use a maraketh claw with manahit. or get BattleRouse..
I don't even have vaalpact and i live thru leech with only 2.6k life lv 82. and still offhanding mark of the doubting knight. u can wreck for cheap, and the jewels are cheap too ;)

the ranger jewel slots v necessary for the scaling of this skill.. I could have pathed it better even..

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwYAAF4DhwSxBbUOSBGWE54UqRmOGdcajRutIuoj9iT9JpUqCypNLgg1kjfUPs8_J0V8SVFKyExgTZJRR1FMVUtVhVYtWyZd8l5FXotfsGHibWxuqm87b55wUnDVdwd4DXvDfVt-M3_Gf_uC5IO9hMWHE4nTiq-MNo2_j_qQEZLzk5WT_JVmlcyXl5u1nKSjiqSRpcupbqxHrTO0OLVItfK95sAawcXDOspKz-nQ0NN-2L3d5-UZ51TndOjW647sGO0_7YPv4_DV8-r5Y_rr-_X_3g==?accountName=waffenheimer&characterName=charlstom
Last edited by waffenheimer on Aug 1, 2015, 1:01:28 AM
Master of the arena, as well as picking up flicker linked with fortify+ really helped on the "clunkiness" being able to hit mobs a little further away, and get around quicker. I don't see how the weapon has anything to do with the clunkiness though.

I don't see how you live with 2.6k hp either. That's like glass cannon, no wonder you think it is awesome(not that it isn't awesome, or shouldn't be more awesome). I'm sitting on over double that hp at only lvl 70. Hard to compare effectiveness without rounded builds.

I'll admit the arc can be quite powerful, but the other two effects lack. And the single target isn't even close to other skills, not even slightly. About the only benefit of using this as a single target is if there is other mobs it can chain to in the distance, so they get automatically taken care of, but other skills do this plus have higher single target effectiveness.
This skill is pretty devastating with my dual Bino's CoC build.

The skill chain I use:

Wild strike -> Multi-strike -> Cast on Crit -> Greater Multiple Projectiles -> Arctic Breath -> Ice Spear

Wild Strike's secondary effects chain 7x max and they are themselves considered ATTACKS and not SPELLS. This means that the secondary effects will also proc CoC. Every attack that I make generates an avalanche of ice hitting everything two screens over.

Very soon, this skill will be nerfed.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info