Wild Strike

"
eternalbeat wrote:
Is it working as intended for the secondary hit (the elemental proc) to NOT hit the same target the melee hit?

Considering it would deal upwards of 300% Weapon Damage otherwise, I'd say that's a fair assumption!

As for every other question you have:
It's an Attack. It deals Attack Damage. It works exactly the same as any two-part Attack.
By default, your Attack Damage with Wild Strike is 110% Base Damage with 60% Conversion.
The Elemental effects do not deal Melee Damage.
(this has all been explained in this very thread already)

If the Elemental effects were to deal Secondary Damage, they would need a listed Damage value.

"
Boem wrote:
Either i am miss-understanding this, or it is not working currently.
I have this jewel "15% increased cold damage" and i used it, but did not get an increase in damage on the skill.

That quote was in response to a specific Jewel with a "x% Chance to Crit with Fire Skills" modifier. Context is important.

The description of said Jewel modifier explicitly looks at Skills, not Damage. The entire Skill is tagged Fire/Cold/Lightning, regardless of what Element it actually rolls and what other modifiers you have, so the Jewel modifier always applies.
x% Increased Cold Damage explicitly looks at Damage, and thus requires said Damage to be tagged as Cold Damage.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Jul 21, 2015, 6:35:33 AM
ok guys if i understood everything correctly this skill works this way (example):

100 Dmg per hit

Wild Strike got 110%

100*1,1=110 DMG

60% is converted into 1 element (cold or fire or lightning)

110*0,6= 66 DMG
66 Dmg would be the "elemental" dmg

To know how much physical dmg
110-66=44 DMG
44 Dmg would be the "physical" dmg

So basicly the "main hit" (physical) would be 44 dmg and the "elemental random aoe" would be 66, wouldnt it?

Do jewels and nodes just enhance the dmg of the "elemental" part like

+10% cold dmg only if the ice procs?
No. The initial melee swing deals 44 Phys + 66 Elemental Damage. The random Elemental effect deals 44 Phys + 66 Elemental Damage.

10% Increased Cold Damage of course only applies to Cold Damage.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Jul 21, 2015, 9:33:56 AM
"
Vipermagi wrote:

That quote was in response to a specific Jewel with a "x% Chance to Crit with Fire Skills" modifier. Context is important.

The description of said Jewel modifier explicitly looks at Skills, not Damage. The entire Skill is tagged Fire/Cold/Lightning, regardless of what Element it actually rolls and what other modifiers you have, so the Jewel modifier always applies.
x% Increased Cold Damage explicitly looks at Damage, and thus requires said Damage to be tagged as Cold Damage.

Thanks for clearing that up sir. Was interested in knowing why it made the distinction, this clears that up.

*tips hat*

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
just to clear up sth if I understand it correctly.

1. 15% Fire damage - only affect Fire Explosion
3. 10% melee damage - only the initial hit
4. 11% area dmg - only the fire explosion and ice wave, initial if using melee splash

2. 16% crit w/ cold skill - affect all parts of the skill
3. +2 mgoh - initial and the elemental parts

just want to see if I can put full use of the jewel for Wild Strike

err
"The initial melee swing deals 44 Phys + 66 Elemental Damage. The random Elemental effect deals 44 Phys + 66 Elemental Damage."
by this I may be wrong.
1st jewel 15% Fire dmg... will it also inc. the initial ' 66 elemental damage'? but what elemental is that?
Last edited by draygourn on Jul 21, 2015, 11:31:37 PM
Ice wave is projectile only. It isn't AOE. At least as far as I've seen.
IGN - WazaBaza
"
Wazabaza wrote:
Ice wave is projectile only. It isn't AOE. At least as far as I've seen.

my mistake, I always thought FP is kinda AOE'ish, though never play with one for long time.
"
Oos wrote:

With a jewel like that, would the crit apply to every attack? Or just the fire portion?

Wild Strike tags are:
Projectile, Attack, Melee, Lightning, Cold, Fire, AoE, Chaining

So I'm wondering if the elemental tags only apply to the specific ele attack, thanks.

Wild Strike is "Fire" skill, because it has "Fire" tag. Any bonuses for "Fire skill" apply to skill as whole. So, you'll receive skill-related bonus for all attacks

You can see the same pattern with Discharge. It's tagged as "Fire" skill, so bonuses like "+1 to fire skills", etc will always apply, even if you use only frenzy or power charges for it (dealing cold/lightning damage).
And Elemental hit follows that pattern too.

Bonuses to respective element are different. They apply to actual damage, that skill can deal. So, bonuses to fire damage will apply pnly to fire damage, dealt with Wild Strike, that's all.

Also, Wild Strike tooltip is WRONG AND MISLEADING! It doesnt include its 60% conversion into tooltip, what's why with WED linked, and/or with WED bonuses from gear, it will show far less DPS than it really does.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
Last edited by MortalKombat3 on Jul 22, 2015, 5:06:03 AM
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:
Also, Wild Strike tooltip is WRONG AND MISLEADING! It doesnt include its 60% conversion into tooltip, what's why with WED linked, and/or with WED bonuses from gear, it will show far less DPS than it really does.

This happens because it cannot know which Element to Convert to; each Element has its own set of modifiers. Same reason Elemental Hit does not show its random Damage either.

----------
@Draygourn:
1. It also affects the Melee swing if you roll Fire on an Attack; it will be the same as the Elemental effect you rolled (if you fire an ice wave, the melee strike Converts to Cold).
3. Correct
4. As Wazabaza mentioned, only the explosion is AoE, the wave is just a really fat Projectile :P

2. Correct
3. Correct
ok, a lot of discussion on how to scale this skill etc, fair play.

i want to talk about something else though, the actual skill and what I think about playing with it.

This is really a game of 2 halves with wild strike, its a really fun, dynamic, explosive, visceral skill that I really enjoy in those regards, it could be an awesome skill, has a CoC vibe, I want to love it. But its also a crap skill I would never make a build for and this is why...

The initial hit, thats the problem with this skill, its the same reason static strike is a crap skill and Frost Blades completely outclasses these skills in endgame. You just have to be too close to the mobs, it makes it so slow and awkward to play with. Theres quite a few melee attacks like this, molten strike at least you can spawn ur balls without actually hitting anything, every other skill where contact is needed and theres no aoe like reave or increased weapon range like blades feels like utter crap, clears like a snail and as far as my gaming goes the might as well not exist where melee is concerned.

What I think this skill needs is a 90 degree small aoe style cleave swing shape in front of the player. It shouldnt actually BE aoe, shouldnt scale with aoe, should only be pushed out a little further with weapon range, but it needs that to trigger because its just too horrible without it, completely insufferable.

Think about 20, 30, 50 years from now in gaming, lets imagine you try and recreate this game, with unthinkable computing power how are attacks going to be calculated? Surely its going to be properly modeled physics right? youll actually swing the weapon, it will move through the 'air' with weight and speed. The vast majority of attacks will have a cleave like area where the weapon swings through space, only stabby type moves are going to consist of a spike like aoe. Wild Strike, I dunno to me it sounds like a swing not a stab/lunge, most attacks should be swings and they should have a swing type area.

I may be wrong but I have a vague memory that most of the attacks in this game do have a small little aoe thing that theyre hitting in front of you, its not scaled by aoe modifiers but its there. I dunno if thats right or not but this skill needs a far bigger one if they do exist and melee skills in general need to start doing this imo. It should be a very, very niche skill that requires the sort of "literally cuddle the mob and stab it" sort of play this skill has.

Other thoughts, only other down side is the mana cost. not sure why the cost is so high, whats the deal there? Its pretty much a shit skill with such limited clear speed I would never actually play it, how does anything about it justify that mana cost? I dunno, seems odd.

Everything else about the skill is great, its a skill with so many really good factors, really exciting aspects but its completely destroyed by its range, it renders the skill unusably bad and a complete failure for me. Frost Blades has the right idea, you need range like that or you need a small aoe cleave style initial hit, these melee frenzy style poke an enemy toe to toe to make the skill work things need to go, the entire concept is rotten and virtually all those skills suck.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info