Arc

"
Vipermagi wrote:
EK and FP are overpowered is the issue there. They stand far above all other Spells in damage potential, and in the case of FP, defensive value as well. That's an issue with those two Spells, not every other Spell besides those.

It doesnt matter if EK and FP are op or not. The problem with arc isnt that it is not as strong as those two, its that you cant even build a viable arc caster build.

Running maps with just arc + arc totem is next to impossible because it takes forever to kill groups and single mobs.

And even in groups where you should shine with ele prolife you are worse than most shocking than most EleBow,Sporktotem,EleWand build, because your damage is so low.
Ingame: Yawne
Shop HC: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/132370
Interestingly, I wasn't even talking about Arc at all.
"
nociception wrote:
There is obviously an outcry among the players who use this skill.

common complaints:
-mana cost is too high
-50% dmg reduction
-hits a maximum of 3 targets

My suggestion is put a range on the number of chains and randomize this number for every hit:

E.g.
level 1 Arc hits enemy: and chains 0 times
level 2 Arc hits enemy: and chains 1 or 2 times
level 3 Arc hits enemy: and chains 1-3 times
level 4 Arc hits enemy: and chains 1-4 times
level 5 Arc hits enemy: and chains 1-5 times
level 6 Arc hits enemy: and chains 1-6 times
level 7 Arc hits enemy: and chains 1-7 times
level 8 Arc hits enemy: and chains 1-8 times
level 9 arc hits enemy: and chains 1-9 times
level 10 Arc hits enemy: and chains 2-10 times
level 11 Arc hits enemy: and chains 2-11 times
level 12 Arc hits enemy: and chains 2-12 times
level 13 Arc hits enemy: and chains 2-13 times
level 14 Arc hits enemy: and chains 2-14 times
level 15 Arc hits enemy: and chains 2-15 times
level 16 Arc hits enemy: and chains 2-16 times
level 17 Arc hits enemy: and chains 2-17 times
level 18 Arc hits enemy: and chains 2-18 times
level 19 Arc hits enemy: and chains 2-19 times
Level 20 Arc hits enemy: and chains 3-20 times ( you can make it so that the statistical likely hood of chaining 20 times is a lot lower than chaining 10 times etc.)

This game mechanic that I proposed fits nicely with the overall lightning damage philosophy. Lighting damage has the largest damage range out of the 3 elemental damages. This allows variability and unpredictability in damage (sometimes you get high bursts of damage or sometimes you 'tickle' against a single target e.g. champion). This phenomenon is even more pronounced when coupled with increased critical hit damage multiplier.

Against big packs of mobs, with the above mechanic for arc, you also preserve some of that unpredictability and variability. When you cast Arc, there is a chance that your attack will hit every enemy in the pack and there is a chance that it will chain 1 or 2 times. As I have stated, this sort of unpredictability is a signature theme for lightning based spells. Take for instance spark- it is very random!

The quality bonus is fine imo. Please don't change that and make OP or something.

Lastly, I would love to see this implemented in-game. I absolutely love this skill!!

Just wanted to expand on my previous idea.

I realize that chaining 20 times is kinda OP so you could make it so that the likelihood of chaining gets lowered substantially.
For example,
with level 1 chain: 100% chance to hit 1 target
with level 2 chain: 100% chance to hit 1 target, 50% chance to to hit 2 targets
with level 3 chain: 100% chance to hit 1 target, 50% chance to hit 2 targets, 25% chance to hit 3 targets
with level 20 chain: 100% chance to hit 4 targets, 50% chance to hit 5 targets, 25% chance to hit 6 targets, 12.5% chance to hit 7 targets, 6.25% chance to hit 8 targets, 3.125% chance to hit 9 targets and so on. All the way to 21 targets.

Again, this is in agreement with the lightening damage philosophy IMO.
A way to increase build and skill gem diversity:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/307289#p2659471
Damn yeh, something like that would be nice.

What support gems do you guyz use on arc ?
"
olecrane10 wrote:
Damn yeh, something like that would be nice.

What support gems do you guyz use on arc ?

Blind and chance to flee bcs they dont cost mana lol.
▄█▀█▀█
My Arc is at 1740 DPS right now, and I confirm that it's useless compared to a 1100 DPS freezing pulse.
"
nociception wrote:

Just wanted to expand on my previous idea.

I realize that chaining 20 times is kinda OP so you could make it so that the likelihood of chaining gets lowered substantially.
For example,
with level 1 chain: 100% chance to hit 1 target
with level 2 chain: 100% chance to hit 1 target, 50% chance to to hit 2 targets
with level 3 chain: 100% chance to hit 1 target, 50% chance to hit 2 targets, 25% chance to hit 3 targets
with level 20 chain: 100% chance to hit 4 targets, 50% chance to hit 5 targets, 25% chance to hit 6 targets, 12.5% chance to hit 7 targets, 6.25% chance to hit 8 targets, 3.125% chance to hit 9 targets and so on. All the way to 21 targets.

Again, this is in agreement with the lightening damage philosophy IMO.

I love this idea.

Ingame: Yawne
Shop HC: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/132370
Would be cool to see arc do something like this...

100% damage to first target, 75% damage on second chain, 50% damage on third chain, and so forth.
Interesting ideas being floated here, but I'd like to post my thoughts.

Here's what I'm thinking I would do with it, were I a developer wanting to make Arc more useful without (I think) causing undue desync/server load as some of the other ideas posted might.

Make Arc a projectile but only allow it to arc once by default. It can't be a projectile? LMP is a projectile and an AoE. Lots of projectiles and AoEs can gain some of this if you just support them with Chain. I don't see a problematic distinction; the arguments against this just keep Arc weak. Arc's base damage would probably want an increase, you might want to remove, lower, or move the chance to shock to a quality effect, and the base mana cost is already out of whack with the current version.

This would allow things like a decent single-target (Arc + Faster casting + whatever) setup, while making Arc more competitive against groups of targets (Arc + LMP/GMP + Chain + Elemental Proliferation) than it currently is.

There's a lot of room to make this skill better. I just hope to see it happen some day.
Gonna state the obvious but this skill could really use extra chain every few levels. At the moment it's neither good against groups nor against single targets.
And the 50% damage effectiveness seems completely unecessary when compared to freezing pulse 100% rate. If shock is the problem the 10% base shock chance should just be removed.
Last edited by SmilingCat on Apr 11, 2013, 11:36:13 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info