Mirror of Kalandra

Partly because of the recent drama I feel like it is time to make changes to Mirror of Kalandra.
A core part of ToS things happening in the game is for people to get access to mirrors and copy items endlessly.
I think making it so that both the core item and the mirrored item receives the tag so you can only mirror it once.

This makes mirror tier items way more scarce and much more interesting, I'm sure it would also encourage people to craft their own things more which is a core part of arpgs in my opinion.

I really can't see anything bad with making this change, only people with the sole purpose to play this game to make a mirror item where they can print currency endlessly would have a bad time and those people are so few and they can find other ways to make money.
Last bumped on Mar 18, 2024, 6:52:48 PM
+1 make those rmt get a real job, tryin to play a game here.
Innocence forgives you
Last edited by SilentSymphony on Jan 22, 2024, 12:28:17 PM
I have said this since the first mirrored items existed.
It doesn't make sense to allow the richest players to dupe items.
That would be a nice idea. It would encourage people to craft more items and make random drops more valuable.
♣ IGN: DoctaMagicFinder
♣ My YouTube channel: youtube.com/doctagaming
♠ Proud brazilian player.
I don't really agree, the mirror existance is an healthy parametter of the game, it make a ceilling on what and item can worth.

The point that some people make money doing nothing is linked to some people paying them for doing nothing, free for you to use your mirror to craft items instead
While I do agree that an item should only be mirrored once I don't see how it would reduce the amount of scams. It would however create a bit more build diversity for top end and limit the pigeon-hole some people have over the end game market. The prices for top tier items would skyrocket though since at the moment the only way to justify gambling for a lot of the top end items is the prospect of getting your investment back from people paying copy fees. It is a very tough thing to balance out. I still think the game would be better off with just the one copy though.

while i think the idea sounds good, and maybe its something to think about for poe2, a mirror is the never dying chase item of poe. uniques come and go, rares get out dated, the mirror has existed as a carrot on a stick in this loot game for 11 years. through times where it felt like nothing of worth could drop item wise, times when we have starvation, times of bloat, for 11 years now that item has remained a valued treasure that has never lost its relevance. a loot game needs an exciting drop, its a monumental achievement that the mirror has held the line all this time.

i feel like messing with that is fraught with danger.

were at a point in the game where by all rights everything should have fallen apart and lost its sparkle.

but we got mirrors, mageblood, headhunter, hin lock, frac orbs, kal touch, original sin, ralak boots...

we got these things that are super valued by the players. ralak boots are way too common for what they do. i could make a post about mageblood being the bis belt for 90% of builds ive made in my time playing and how that probably shouldnt be thing. but maybe it actually should because i think the worst thing the devs can do is nerf any of these items. absolutely do not nerf any of them, if they have to be more rare then make them more rare. but right now the game is exciting to farm for people and thats a miracle this far along the line. we complained for so long that theres no chase items, theres nothing to loot in this loot game. well, now there is and its working, the game feels so healthy in terms of the item and currency system.

but for poe2, thats a different thing all together. for poe2 i definitely think they should at least be considering this sort of change to how a mirror works. if we could rewind time to 2012 before public release i think maybe u could make this change in poe1.

perhaps an idea to go with the mirror theme is when an item is mirrored it has a chance of the item cracking and once that happens it cant be mirrored again. so its an rng element, maybe its a 25% chance when you mirror the item the original cracks and becomes unmirrorable, and maybe even uneditable like the a mirror copy is. add a bit of drama to the process.
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
while i think the idea sounds good, and maybe its something to think about for poe2, a mirror is the never dying chase item of poe. uniques come and go, rares get out dated, the mirror has existed as a carrot on a stick in this loot game for 11 years. through times where it felt like nothing of worth could drop item wise, times when we have starvation, times of bloat, for 11 years now that item has remained a valued treasure that has never lost its relevance. a loot game needs an exciting drop, its a monumental achievement that the mirror has held the line all this time.

i feel like messing with that is fraught with danger.

were at a point in the game where by all rights everything should have fallen apart and lost its sparkle.

but we got mirrors, mageblood, headhunter, hin lock, frac orbs, kal touch, original sin, ralak boots...

we got these things that are super valued by the players. ralak boots are way too common for what they do. i could make a post about mageblood being the bis belt for 90% of builds ive made in my time playing and how that probably shouldnt be thing. but maybe it actually should because i think the worst thing the devs can do is nerf any of these items. absolutely do not nerf any of them, if they have to be more rare then make them more rare. but right now the game is exciting to farm for people and thats a miracle this far along the line. we complained for so long that theres no chase items, theres nothing to loot in this loot game. well, now there is and its working, the game feels so healthy in terms of the item and currency system.

but for poe2, thats a different thing all together. for poe2 i definitely think they should at least be considering this sort of change to how a mirror works. if we could rewind time to 2012 before public release i think maybe u could make this change in poe1.

perhaps an idea to go with the mirror theme is when an item is mirrored it has a chance of the item cracking and once that happens it cant be mirrored again. so its an rng element, maybe its a 25% chance when you mirror the item the original cracks and becomes unmirrorable, and maybe even uneditable like the a mirror copy is. add a bit of drama to the process.

To a degree I do agree but this was not possible when the game was released, tags are fairly new in the big scope of things.
I think that mirror items should be chase and something very valuable for people to make and have but not with the sole purpose of making it because of the monetary gain and to bully other people from making their own.
If you look at the mirror items being made every league it's mainly bows that hold any real value for the vast majority of players.

I think that there are only two options and those are either coming up with a very meaningful change that will discourage the RMT communities, which is the biggest part of mirror services, or make this change to the mirror. The latter is of course the lazy solution but a solution nonetheless.

It is disingenuous to say that such a change really would affect many normal players.

For a normal player it takes around 15-20k hours to drop a mirror from what we know, this gets shortened quite a bit if you are magic finding but outside of this league there is not a huge community doing it.
Would you not rather have an ARPG where people would actually take the time to craft items and not just be able to farm currency to buy whatever they want? Cutting the supply to 6x T1 would be good for the entirety of the game in my opinion.

Right now people are discouraged from crafting mirror tier items if a group is crowdsourcing to make the best one of its' kind, everyone else is bullied out so what's the point to having that toxic part of the game? You can argue that these people will instead focus on claiming whatever part of the market instead to earn their currency which is fair but it is way more tedious for them and not nearly as profitable.

With all that being said, I'm just tired of these bullies being allowed to roam free for years without GGG being able, or willing, to do anything about it. If they can't come up with a good solution we may have to look at slightly worse solutions which in the long run will benefit the community as a whole.
A literal duping item should have never existed in this game in the first place.

Duping is the stuff of hacks and bugs....to actually include it as a feature (and ENDLESS duping at that) was the single stupidest decision the developers ever made. Second stupidest decision was the HH.

It is hard to understate how many of the CURRENT problems exist simply because, in the beginning, mirrors and HH existed.

Regarding the comment about the mirror being the "staple chase lottery item drop".....that means so very little. SO many items came and went as THE top chase item, and the game has been perfectly fine with that. The exalt / divine switch showed the entire playerbase just how much the "chase currency" can change overnight, and also STABILIZE overnight. The mirror would be no different. They could remove it tomorrow, players would be angry for a week, and then they'd get over it. And then GGG would release a new highest currency. The mirror being the "top currency" holds very little meaning for 99.9% of the players. If anything, it holds EQUAL meaning to dropping a HH, dropping a mageblood, dropping an actual good rare, etc. There is nothing special about it.

If GGG can take their "poster child" exalt, complete with tons of merchandise, and trash it overnight...the same can be done with the mirror.
Last edited by jsuslak313 on Jan 22, 2024, 10:27:42 PM
The game is better when the chase items are boss drops and not "a thing which could maybe happen." Nimis, Omni, pre nerf Ashes, Voidforge, and eons ago the Acuity were the kind of awesome dopamine kick ARPGs are known for, and it felt WAY better than a random HH drop because you always felt like you'd actually done something to earn it.

But while this means I'm definitely in the "mirrors are stupid" camp, it's got nothing to do with the fact that they can dupe items forever.

Also div cards are bad, they were always a bad idea, and whoever came up with them should feel bad. Taking iconic pinnacle boss unique items and giving anyone capable of running a level 70 Heist a way to get them is cringe.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info