Graphical error on MacOS since 3.17.4

For over a year, the graphical glitches have been a huge problem. Restarting the game provides some short-term relief (maybe 30 minutes, maybe 90), but there are times when restarting is a serious negative, such as during Lab runs, or, ya know... in the middle of an epic boss fight.

At least the game is not crashing the entire machine any more, amirite?

Given the amount of time (counting multiple releases) that this easily reproducible graphics diarrhea has been allowed to fester, it's obvious that mac OS is NOT any kind of a priority for GGG.

Meanwhile, No Man's Sky just released a stunning native port to the M1 architecture, and guess what? THE GRAPHICS JUST WORK. I mention it as secondary evidence that the problem with PoE here is not some flakey mac OS graphics interface problem, it's a core GGG implementation problem. GGG cut too many corners somewhere in the mac port, and they are corrupting the shader memory. Constantly.

FWIW, GGG also use some cheesy keyboard input polling system, so PoE frequently loses track of SHIFT, CMD, CTL and arrow key up/down states. This is at the annoyance level, but, e.g., watching my map overlay wander off to Alaska on its own always reminds me how flakey things are.

Now that they're in the final lap running up to "PoE 2", aka 4.0, we must assume that zero resources will be targeted at this issue until the demands of the significantly larger PC/console audience have been satisfied. That's just a fact of the product life cycle right now.

Maybe in January 2024 we can humbly plea for some attention again.
Right after posting, I found this thread: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3315496/page/3

Here's the workaround:
"
rm -rf ~/Library/Caches/com.GGG.PathOfExile/ShaderCacheVulkan

Run this from a terminal window whenever the glitches hit. Yes, you can do it while the game is running and it will fix the graphics in real time. It's just that simple.

Thx to silverpilku for sharing this simple, brute force solution.
Last edited by Tunzophun on Jun 19, 2023, 12:16:27 PM
I really hope there comes a fix someday. Maybe even poe2 will pe playable on mac thanks to rosetta conversion... unfortunately im not able to install it at all. only getting crashes. Maybe a developer can work with this:
Spoiler
https://pastebin.com/vh2k3Mxd

"
Tunzophun wrote:
For over a year, the graphical glitches have been a huge problem. Restarting the game provides some short-term relief (maybe 30 minutes, maybe 90), but there are times when restarting is a serious negative, such as during Lab runs, or, ya know... in the middle of an epic boss fight.

At least the game is not crashing the entire machine any more, amirite?

Given the amount of time (counting multiple releases) that this easily reproducible graphics diarrhea has been allowed to fester, it's obvious that mac OS is NOT any kind of a priority for GGG.

Meanwhile, No Man's Sky just released a stunning native port to the M1 architecture, and guess what? THE GRAPHICS JUST WORK. I mention it as secondary evidence that the problem with PoE here is not some flakey mac OS graphics interface problem, it's a core GGG implementation problem. GGG cut too many corners somewhere in the mac port, and they are corrupting the shader memory. Constantly.

FWIW, GGG also use some cheesy keyboard input polling system, so PoE frequently loses track of SHIFT, CMD, CTL and arrow key up/down states. This is at the annoyance level, but, e.g., watching my map overlay wander off to Alaska on its own always reminds me how flakey things are.

Now that they're in the final lap running up to "PoE 2", aka 4.0, we must assume that zero resources will be targeted at this issue until the demands of the significantly larger PC/console audience have been satisfied. That's just a fact of the product life cycle right now.

Maybe in January 2024 we can humbly plea for some attention again.

I feel very lucky that Cloud Gaming with NVIDIA exists...
Last edited by Razex_XII on Apr 24, 2024, 5:22:07 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info