Lost Ark experience was a total disaster...

The game is only popular because it's free to play. If they actually charged a sub for this [Removed by Support], the numbers would be probably 1/10th the activity levels.
Last edited by JC_GGG on Mar 17, 2022, 8:49:02 AM
Interesting conclusion to the thread.
https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
"
Interesting conclusion to the thread.

Agreed.

Although I admittedly did have some curiosity for whom that sock puppet belonged to.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
"
Oops, I think I pushed a button!

Irony is I fucking hate the game, but I fucking hate misrepresentation even more.

Like I said, see ya in a few months. I don't mind being wrong. In fact, I'm prepared for it most times. Makes adult life a lot more tolerable. :)

But I think in this case I'm right and Lost Ark willl be doing just fine in a few months.

We. Shall. See!

Don't know why you hate it (its doing fine still BTW of course) let me list the things it does objectively better then POE:

Netcode is a wonder, so robust, so not fragile, no sudden rubberbanding because a mob in a pack 2 screens back stunned you and GGG would rather simulate rubber banding and make Stun immunity 100% mandatory than design it as a debuff or something more sensible.

Boss signaling will instantly make you wonder why GGG does boss design so poorly?

Combat pacing: no more Lawn mowing monsters for 1:30s into a map rolling more maps (tedious micromanagment) into more monster lawn mowing... endless screens of XP/loot globes that explode at your mere proximity, never a single combat mechanic or moment of tactical engagement or decision making... not really much "Action" in this Action RPG... POE is literally a grim dark clicker app.

Multiplayer is great, and not a joke like it is in POE... you can actually play with other people and not feel like you just jumpped into some weird EDM rave where you're supposed to chase the fastest person around endlessly as fireworks and screen flashing fill your vision and cause anyone with epilepsy to nope out.

I've posted multiple times about this and my feelings have evolved a lot, I'm so "jealous" of Lost Ark... if I could combine its combat, signaling, netcode and frame rate (better graphics than POE but also higher frame rates and never any bogging down? WTF???) with POE's loot design and art direction it would literally be my perfect game. Sure the bright pink Unicorns (literally) and cutsie MMO junk is eye rolling, but the actual moment to moment gameplay simply outdoes POE.

As it stands I'm playing Lost Ark instead of POE; I would much rather play a game with superb combat and skill cap and wonderfully balanced time to live, boss design, signaling and visuals, and live with meh loot design, than mow a virtual lawn with a lawn mower shaped like a magic spell.

As for P2W Honestly I know some people make a big deal over it (mostly as an excuse to write the game off and not try it) but I don't even give a shit about its cash shop, Dungeons and Dragons Online an AMERICAN MMO has worse P2W than Lost Ark does and its a game that went F2P before POE even existed...

Lost Ark's F2P is 100% non paywalled, can't even say that for POE... I absolutely felt compelled to buy stash tabs... and I'm 2 months into LA and haven't spent a dime...
"only 10% of players care about melee" - Aesop's Fox if he was a GGG dev
"when you die in this game, typically you're getting one shot, you're dieing in one frame; almost always" -Ben_
Last edited by alhazred70 on Apr 19, 2022, 4:29:40 AM
I am having an opposite feeling about lost ark. I am over 1000 hour invested into it now and have 1400, 1375, 1340, 1340, and 1340 characters as f2p. I just think the game is very very shallow p2w mobile game ported to PC with a very little depth on character progression and min-max.

The game does not feel challenging most of the times outside of raid fight which you only get to do once a week.

Everyone does the same thing with the same build and same engraving because the best combination of engraving exists and it is mathematically trivial to find the best combination. There is very little freedom to minmaxing a character or coming up with a new build, and everyone is after the same set of accessories and ability stone.

On top of that, most of the progression is literally based on slot machine. This is not a loot based game which means every fight you take will give you a deterministic loot most of the time which makes fights feel unrewarding and boring (yes you still have chance for grudge engraving book but it is just abysmally rare whereas you expect to get an exalted orb every hour or so in poe).

People say poe has the same rng based progression but i truly disagree. In poe, you find loot off the ground and there are countless things uou can pick up that is worth something. On top of that, there are DETERMINISTIC ways to make money in this game, and trade loots for stuff you need.

Lost ark is all about praying to rng to hit that +1 honing maaaaaaaybe once a day.

I have hit 6000+ in delve multiple times and have made mirrors in this game before but just decided to take a break because my wrist hurts playing this game. Poe has flaws for sure. But lost ark is basically selling exalted orbs for money. Everyday it makes me wish to come back to path of exile. I might jump ship when 3.18 patch comes out. I am just scared of having to learn every change that happened during the last 3 leagues that i was gone.

And yea... i feel qualified to give an opinion on both games because i literally grinded the shit out of both games to the very very end. I would never recommend lost ark to anyone i know, but i will gladly recommend poe. 1 thing i do wish poe would do differently is to make the early game less boring.... and make auto loot pick up a thing. Respect your player's wrist health.
LA stuff
"
alhazred70 wrote:
"
Oops, I think I pushed a button!

Irony is I fucking hate the game, but I fucking hate misrepresentation even more.

Like I said, see ya in a few months. I don't mind being wrong. In fact, I'm prepared for it most times. Makes adult life a lot more tolerable. :)

But I think in this case I'm right and Lost Ark willl be doing just fine in a few months.

We. Shall. See!

Don't know why you hate it (its doing fine still BTW of course) let me list the things it does objectively better then POE:

Netcode is a wonder, so robust, so not fragile, no sudden rubberbanding because a mob in a pack 2 screens back stunned you and GGG would rather simulate rubber banding and make Stun immunity 100% mandatory than design it as a debuff or something more sensible.

Boss signaling will instantly make you wonder why GGG does boss design so poorly?

Combat pacing: no more Lawn mowing monsters for 1:30s into a map rolling more maps (tedious micromanagment) into more monster lawn mowing... endless screens of XP/loot globes that explode at your mere proximity, never a single combat mechanic or moment of tactical engagement or decision making... not really much "Action" in this Action RPG... POE is literally a grim dark clicker app.

Multiplayer is great, and not a joke like it is in POE... you can actually play with other people and not feel like you just jumpped into some weird EDM rave where you're supposed to chase the fastest person around endlessly as fireworks and screen flashing fill your vision and cause anyone with epilepsy to nope out.

I've posted multiple times about this and my feelings have evolved a lot, I'm so "jealous" of Lost Ark... if I could combine its combat, signaling, netcode and frame rate (better graphics than POE but also higher frame rates and never any bogging down? WTF???) with POE's loot design and art direction it would literally be my perfect game. Sure the bright pink Unicorns (literally) and cutsie MMO junk is eye rolling, but the actual moment to moment gameplay simply outdoes POE.

As it stands I'm playing Lost Ark instead of POE; I would much rather play a game with superb combat and skill cap and wonderfully balanced time to live, boss design, signaling and visuals, and live with meh loot design, than mow a virtual lawn with a lawn mower shaped like a magic spell.

As for P2W Honestly I know some people make a big deal over it (mostly as an excuse to write the game off and not try it) but I don't even give a shit about its cash shop, Dungeons and Dragons Online an AMERICAN MMO has worse P2W than Lost Ark does and its a game that went F2P before POE even existed...

Lost Ark's F2P is 100% non paywalled, can't even say that for POE... I absolutely felt compelled to buy stash tabs... and I'm 2 months into LA and haven't spent a dime...

No offence, but I have zero intention of playing Lost Ark, so you're wasting your time here. I have more than enough games on my plate, so you're barking up the wrong tree here. I don't need to be told how good LA is, or what it does right compared to PoE (which does plenty wrong on its own; no need for comparisons). It is irrelevant to my existence as a gamer. :)

I do hate the mere concept of Lost Ark but I still think it'll do just fine, which was my previous posts and the point of everything I've said here as a rebuke to someone who claimed (hilariously) that it'd be dead in a month or two -- maybe check the context next time?

I'd forgotten all about this thread to be honest. OP is still in the naughty corner so it's not like it's being bumped.
https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Apr 19, 2022, 8:38:16 PM
"

No offence, but I have zero intention of playing Lost Ark, so you're wasting your time here. I have more than enough games on my plate, so you're barking up the wrong tree here. I don't need to be told how good LA is, or what it does right compared to PoE (which does plenty wrong on its own; no need for comparisons). It is irrelevant to my existence as a gamer. :)

I do hate the mere concept of Lost Ark but I still think it'll do just fine, which was my previous posts and the point of everything I've said here as a rebuke to someone who claimed (hilariously) that it'd be dead in a month or two -- maybe check the context next time?

I'd forgotten all about this thread to be honest. OP is still in the naughty corner so it's not like it's being bumped.

You good man? Not sure what you mean by "barking up the wrong tree/so you're wasting your time here". As if what I posted is directed only at you in some sort of focused attempt to talk you into something? No offense but you do realize that other people read and post here and not every reply to something you write is entirely personally directed? A reply is often just a spring board for opinions which was the case here.

FWIW I quoted you simply because I wondered what you hate about the game. Then I went on to list some thoughts about what LA does better than POE in a conversational (I thought) tone.

BTW When I referenced that Lost Ark is "still doing fine" that was meant to communicate that I understood the context of your previous post...
"when you die in this game, typically you're getting one shot, you're dieing in one frame; almost always" -Ben_
Last edited by alhazred70 on Apr 20, 2022, 10:37:46 AM
"
dooboosoda wrote:
I am over 1000 hour

very little depth on character progression and min-max.

1000 hours in give or take 2 months, man you must really not like the game eh?... You're certainly entitled to not like the game, while you spend give or take 500 hours a month playing it, of course but pardon me if I'm still chuckling a little as I write this...

I get it, POE's definitely got more actual choice and mix maxing, no one would argue that. It also has a hell of a lot more illusory RNG hamster wheels that appear to offer even more depth, on top of the real depth. But sure POE is absolutely a more deep game. Sadly a large chunk of that depth stops the moment you close PoB and start the "mowing monsters" portion of the game.

Any game with horrid time to live balance is going to feel harder than a game with good balance. And as well; POE's trash signaling and visual clarity also creates a a massive difficulty spike that is none the less usually overcome by trivializing the fights with meta builds that are basically exactly the same thing as LA's meta builds...

In POE everyone uses HH and Mageblood but you can ofc use worse gear... In LA everyone uses Grudge and Cursed Doll but you can ofc use worse engravings... Again POE is more deep in itemization and most other aspects besides the actual gameplay, I've granted that but really it does amount to just about the same thing.

In the end the moment to moment gameplay is exceptional in one of the games, and the other is monster lawn mowing with tons of deep PoB gameplay...

Last edited by alhazred70 on Apr 20, 2022, 10:55:59 AM
Imagine my disappointment after spending 1k hr into the game only to find that the endgame is just a mobile game with dailies that are mindblowingly boring.

Also... it takes quite a lot of theory crafting and minmaxing in poe to reach the state that you so call lawn mower. Hell, there aren't even that many builds that can lawn mow the hardest contents in the game and they usually get nerfed to oblivion right after a league.

I spent a significant portion of that 1k hr just collecting mokokos and tokens and what not. Once i finished collecting, there was nothing left to do in that aspect. I guess the same could be said about 40/40 but we at least get a reset on that every league here. Tbh, the biggest gripe i have with lpst ark is the lack of depth and lack of reward from grinding. You make it sound like pob tweaking is one time deal but it isnt. I would use pob every single day to minmax and test different ways to build a character given a limited budget. The key here is limited budget. In lost ark, your budget is basically how much u are willing to swipe.... so the resource management aspect of the game is a complete joke. On top of that, the game is designed to deter you from grinding by time gating everything so that you either just sit idle for the next weekly reset or pay to improve your character.
Last edited by dooboosoda on Apr 20, 2022, 3:09:24 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info