Stutter lag is horrible

I have played Path of Exile off and on through the years, accepting the lag that would happen sometimes. But now that I have built a brand new PC, I get a severe stutter/freezing ONLY on path of exile, no other game I play does this..

GPU: RTX EVGA 3080 ftw3 Ultra
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x
RAM: 4x8 Corsair Vengeance, 3600 mhz, 16CL.

I get ATROCIOUS stutter lag. Even on medium settings. I have tried changing graphics, to Vulkan, disabling reverb in audio, capping FPS, turning off my RGB sync, everything.

I know it is not my PC, because I can run Warzone, Witcher 3, ETC max graphics and even ray tracing on warzone, no lag or stutter. 

Other useful information is that I have a 1000W psu, Rog strix b550 motherboard, nvme 980 evo 1TB ssds, and Windows 10 pro. I also run a dual monitor setup, my main one being a 1440p 27in monitor. Thanks.

Also in my in-game graphs, only two things jump around a lot. The red graph (CPU) is constantly flying up to full. Like around 3-9 MS, sometimes the game freezes completely.. Even when latency stayed in the 30s I still got freeze lag, and CPU jumped to like 6/9 ms. Hell at this point even when it don't jump it seems like I stutter. I can not even tell anymore.
Last edited by Heartbound on Feb 7, 2022, 12:44:26 AM
Last bumped on Dec 28, 2023, 6:42:29 PM
"
Heartbound wrote:
I have played Path of Exile off and on through the years, accepting the lag that would happen sometimes. But now that I have built a brand new PC, I get a severe stutter/freezing ONLY on path of exile, no other game I play does this..

GPU: RTX EVGA 3080 ftw3 Ultra
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x
RAM: 4x8 Corsair Vengeance, 3600 mhz, 16CL.

I get ATROCIOUS stutter lag. Even on medium settings. I have tried changing graphics, to Vulkan, disabling reverb in audio, capping FPS, turning off my RGB sync, everything.

I know it is not my PC, because I can run Warzone, Witcher 3, ETC max graphics and even ray tracing on warzone, no lag or stutter. 

Other useful information is that I have a 1000W psu, Rog strix b550 motherboard, nvme 980 evo 1TB ssds, and Windows 10 pro. I also run a dual monitor setup, my main one being a 1440p 27in monitor. Thanks.

Also in my in-game graphs, only two things jump around a lot. The red graph (CPU) is constantly flying up to full. Like around 3-9 MS, sometimes the game freezes completely.. Even when latency stayed in the 30s I still got freeze lag, and CPU jumped to like 6/9 ms. Hell at this point even when it don't jump it seems like I stutter. I can not even tell anymore.

This is my new pc -->
AMD 5800x, 32GB 3600 MHz ram, Asus TUF OC 3070Ti, Samsung 980-Pro 1TB Gen4 NVME SSD

I don't have these problems and is running dual monitor BUT at the same resolution (1920*1080).

So I think you have to look at how the hardware is set up in your pc + your windows installation.
My second monitor is 1920x1080, my main monitor is 2560x1440. I wonder if this is some weird issue with poe that can cause issues.

What do you mean look at how the hardware is setup? I have built many PCs, and have this issue with no other game. Witcher 3 max graphics, Skyrim max graphics and an insane amount of mods, warzone full graphics with ray tracing, control max graphics with ray tracing, etc.

My windows installation is fine, and it's windows 10 pro.
Last edited by Heartbound on Feb 7, 2022, 2:26:08 AM
if u check there is 1000 post about this after 3.17 . its engine multithreading failing even before game start even in main menu . i have this problem too
"
Heartbound wrote:
My second monitor is 1920x1080, my main monitor is 2560x1440. I wonder if this is some weird issue with poe that can cause issues.

What do you mean look at how the hardware is setup? I have built many PCs, and have this issue with no other game. Witcher 3 max graphics, Skyrim max graphics and an insane amount of mods, warzone full graphics with ray tracing, control max graphics with ray tracing, etc.

there was a problem "before" that if your monitors wasn't running at same resolution, then all kind of shit happend.

As you can see we have the same CPU and your GPU is better then mine.
So what type of 3080 do you have. Mine is a Asus card ?

It can also be something with your motherboard bios firmware and settings + missing / wrong vendor drivers for GPU, motherboard chipset and netcard.
Same here, I feel like this is ultimately all over. 50% of my deaths at least have been due to stutter lag especially when mobs are loading onto the screen. In ultimatum it only happened during the league event, but now it's happening all the time with lock boxes, the league event, and any other time.

I turned basically every possible graphic setting down to the very lowest and it makes no difference.
"
Valkaneer wrote:
Same here, I feel like this is ultimately all over. 50% of my deaths at least have been due to stutter lag especially when mobs are loading onto the screen. In ultimatum it only happened during the league event, but now it's happening all the time with lock boxes, the league event, and any other time.

I turned basically every possible graphic setting down to the very lowest and it makes no difference.

Disable "ENGINE MULTITHREADING" in PoE options, as soon as I disable it the stutter goes away even in login screen. Although performance takes a hit but at least it is playable without multithreading.

So check this and see if it makes a difference. You can also try enabling the graph (F1) and see with "on" and "off". With "on" my graph shows crazy spikes and with "off" it's pretty much even.
Stupid PoE2 Particle System Patch...

New mute system is another hot garbage.
Last edited by y3lw0rC on Feb 7, 2022, 7:47:54 AM
"
HanSoloDK wrote:
"
Heartbound wrote:

there was a problem "before" that if your monitors wasn't running at same resolution, then all kind of shit happend.

As you can see we have the same CPU and your GPU is better then mine.
So what type of 3080 do you have. Mine is a Asus card ?

It can also be something with your motherboard bios firmware and settings + missing / wrong vendor drivers for GPU, motherboard chipset and netcard.

My BIOS is fully up to date, my windows as well, and I recently built the PC. All my drivers are fully updated, no issues hardware wise, trust me. It's only POE. I am trying to figure it out. I find a lot of people complaining about stutter in poe, with even hardware better than mine. 3090s and top of the line cpus.

I'm just at a lost cause on how to fix the issue or find the exact reason because technical support from GGG is not being done right now. I tried emailing them and they told me that with automation.

My GPU is an RTX 3080 EVGA FTW3 Ultra.
Last edited by Heartbound on Feb 7, 2022, 11:21:22 AM
"
Heartbound wrote:

My BIOS is fully up to date, my windows as well, and I recently built the PC. All my drivers are fully updated, no issues hardware wise, trust me. It's only POE. I am trying to figure it out. I find a lot of people complaining about stutter in poe, with even hardware better than mine. 3090s and top of the line cpus.

I'm just at a lost cause on how to fix the issue or find the exact reason because technical support from GGG is not being done right now. I tried emailing them and they told me that with automation.

My GPU is an RTX 3080 EVGA FTW3 Ultra.

Strange that I don't have the problem then. Are you running AMD "D.O.C" ram performens profile because I am doing that.

It can also be an issue only in league because I only play standard ??

GL exile.
"
y3lw0rC wrote:
"
Valkaneer wrote:

Disable "ENGINE MULTITHREADING" in PoE options, as soon as I disable it the stutter goes away even in login screen. Although performance takes a hit but at least it is playable without multithreading.

So check this and see if it makes a difference. You can also try enabling the graph (F1) and see with "on" and "off". With "on" my graph shows crazy spikes and with "off" it's pretty much even.

Ya, I tried it, it's better but still lagging the crap out of me on mob spawns from chest, metamorph, lockboxes, etc. In fact, I just got killed on a metamorph due to the stutter lag. It is about 50% better but still, it's bad for what it is.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info