Ethereal Knives

The problem is more that EK can't shotgun.
It is strictly a crowdcontrol spell, whereas a fireball or the like can be used for damage spikes as well.
While living of it's synergies, it offers remarkably few.
Still, as the only physical spell, it's outside the competition.
Zaanus:
Global chat: Mechanics for A work one way, B for another, C for a third but also with A, B uses C but not A, and D uses A&B but not C

___
Isn't a "no" better than an ignore?
"
UnDeaD_CyBorG wrote:
The physical damage is unique, the rest, not so much.
Take a fireball, you can add lightning, cold, or chaos damage just fine.
Physical damage does have the advantage of % bonuses applying, I give you that.
Still, you pay in mana for an enormous amount of projectiles, but every target can only be hit once; Making MP, and in the future chain and fork, probably pretty worthless.
It's really a spell for niches and synergies.

Why would you even want to stick a flat damage support on a slow, high mana cost spell? Percentage based increases would be more effective, of which there are more than enough available.

Also, you misunderstood my point. Both physical/elemental immune monsters are rare, so Eth knives properly supported is effective against most monsters as its rarely fully resisted.

Shotgunning is nice, but its not necessary on Eth knives. The damage is high enough on a single projectile, and it also synergizes with that other physical "spell" Bear trap.
"
UnDeaD_CyBorG wrote:
The problem is more that EK can't shotgun.
It is strictly a crowdcontrol spell, whereas a fireball or the like can be used for damage spikes as well.

Which is not a problem on Arrow skills. They basically always sacrifice a support slot and damage for multiple hits; EK doesn't need to.

It doesn't offer any crowd control though :/
"
UnDeaD_CyBorG wrote:
Making MP, and in the future chain and fork, probably pretty worthless.
For the record, feedback from people who used it on alpha is that EK + fork is quite powerful.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
UnDeaD_CyBorG wrote:
For the record, feedback from people who used it on alpha is that EK + fork is quite powerful.
Is that because the forked projectiles can hit multiple targets?
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
UnDeaD_CyBorG wrote:

Guys, guys... EK + Chain. Go get that gem, folks.

Btw, Mark, I was going to make a thread summarising all of the aspects that I've discussed with the other alphas regarding the choices between Fork, Chain, LMP, and Pierces for every projectile gem.
Last edited by zharmad on Nov 1, 2012, 4:14:28 AM
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
UnDeaD_CyBorG wrote:

Does that mean that a single target can be hit by multiple projectiles with those?
I thought that was impossible with this skill.
Because otherwise, I just don't see it, given that there's hardly that many target around at once.

If you can indeed hit a target twice, I'll reverse my position immediately; Though I'll certainly have try that now.

But hey, you're free to give me an Alpha invite to stop me from making bad assumptions.^^

Edited for structure.
Zaanus:
Global chat: Mechanics for A work one way, B for another, C for a third but also with A, B uses C but not A, and D uses A&B but not C

___
Isn't a "no" better than an ignore?
Last edited by UnDeaD_CyBorG on Nov 1, 2012, 7:34:00 PM
Edit: Not a bug, disregard this post

Spoiler
I noticed that items that add physical, elemental, or chaos damage do not seem to add damage to Ethereal Knives.

In this pic, there is no added lightning damage in the skill description.

In this pic, the Sapphire Ring should add 2-5 physical damage, yet the damage is the same when equipped (the Life on Kill mod is added though)

With Blackheart equipped, the added chaos damage is visible in the default attack info. But no chaos damage is visible in the EK info (the added physical damage from the implicit has an effect though).

Support gems such as Added Lightning Damage or Added Fire Damage work, however.

EDIT: Have filed bug report here.
Last edited by BurnOutBrighter on Nov 4, 2012, 6:48:14 AM
"
I noticed that items that add physical, elemental, or chaos damage do not seem to add damage to Ethereal Knives.

In this pic, there is no added lightning damage in the skill description.

In this pic, the Sapphire Ring should add 2-5 physical damage, yet the damage is the same when equipped (the Life on Kill mod is added though)

With Blackheart equipped, the added chaos damage is visible in the default attack info. But no chaos damage is visible in the EK info (the added physical damage from the implicit has an effect though).

Support gems such as Added Lightning Damage or Added Fire Damage work, however.

EDIT: Have filed bug report here.
EK is a spell. Items that add physical, elemental, or chaos damage only apply to attacks not spells.
"
Strill wrote:
EK is a spell. Items that add physical, elemental, or chaos damage only apply to attacks not spells.

Aww :(

But percentage-based increases work, is that correct? So the extra damage on EK from equipping Blackheart was from the 5% increased physical damage?
Last edited by BurnOutBrighter on Nov 3, 2012, 3:20:51 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info