Ethereal Knives

"
Phang wrote:
Don't know if this is a bug or what but Lesser Multiple Projectiles don't seem to work with this either.
It seems to work for me, what aspect of it isn't working for you?
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Oct 22, 2012, 5:39:07 AM
@phang, don't use LMP with EK. I'm not sure how many projectiles the spell fires, but it's at least 9 by default.

Damage formula is then:
K*(#projectiles)*(1+sum of all increase bonuses)*(1-LMP less projectile damage penalty)
K is base spell damage.

If you add in LMP, you'll probably always see a dps decrease. Because it goes like this. Suppose you have 24% incr projectile damage and 19% incr spell damage (total 43%)

Without LMP:

K*(9 projectiles)*(1+.43) = 12.9*K

With lv 17 LMP:

K*(11 projectiles)*(1+.43+.3)*(1-.3) = 13.3*K

A whopping 3% DPS gain, for 50% more manacost. Think about that one a few times :)

MP supports work out very poorly DPS wise with attacks that already have multiple projectiles.
Let a man walk alone -
Let him commit no sin.
Let him bear few wishes,
Like an elephant in the forest.
Last edited by grogor on Sep 24, 2016, 8:34:33 AM
Does iron grip affect EK projectiles(since LS is affected)?
"
kadrek91 wrote:
No. Iron grip specifically states it applies to attacks. Ethereal Knives is a spell, not an attack.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
kadrek91 wrote:
No. Iron grip specifically states it applies to attacks. Ethereal Knives is a spell, not an attack.

Thank you Mark really fast and helpful (as alwais :D)
Just a little feedback from extensive EK usage -- the big brick wall now is energy shield. Anything else, I can pretty much handle with the right supports. I know added chaos damage would do it, but that's a pretty rare, high-end support.

Given the name and nature of the skill, I'd suggest giving it an inherent conversion of X% of damage to chaos. Something to make the spell really unique and make it even vaguely attractive. Something not even its otherwise almighty counterpart Freezing Pulse can do. Have it ignore some of the energy shield so many mobs are packing.

I've probably said something like this before but I'd like to see responses regarding what harm this change might do, how it might overpower the skill or pull it out of balance.

Because right now it's inferior to FP in just about every single way.
https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
"
Charan wrote:
Just a little feedback from extensive EK usage -- the big brick wall now is energy shield. Anything else, I can pretty much handle with the right supports. I know added chaos damage would do it, but that's a pretty rare, high-end support.

Given the name and nature of the skill, I'd suggest giving it an inherent conversion of X% of damage to chaos. Something to make the spell really unique and make it even vaguely attractive. Something not even its otherwise almighty counterpart Freezing Pulse can do. Have it ignore some of the energy shield so many mobs are packing.

I've probably said something like this before but I'd like to see responses regarding what harm this change might do, how it might overpower the skill or pull it out of balance.

Because right now it's inferior to FP in just about every single way.

What level are you at/spell level? Also, being a physical spell, it is unique because it ignore elemental resists. Its also very easy to get fire/cold on eth knives, whereas spells are limited to that elementl, aside form cold to fire.
The physical damage is unique, the rest, not so much.
Take a fireball, you can add lightning, cold, or chaos damage just fine.
Physical damage does have the advantage of % bonuses applying, I give you that.
Still, you pay in mana for an enormous amount of projectiles, but every target can only be hit once; Making MP, and in the future chain and fork, probably pretty worthless.
It's really a spell for niches and synergies.
Zaanus:
Global chat: Mechanics for A work one way, B for another, C for a third but also with A, B uses C but not A, and D uses A&B but not C

___
Isn't a "no" better than an ignore?
"
UnDeaD_CyBorG wrote:
Take a fireball, you can add lightning, cold, or chaos damage just fine.

40 Cold damage, yes. 250, not so much. The amount of Cold damage is important; without enough damage, you cannot freeze anything.
Not sure why not needing to use MP is a bad thing either.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info