Diablo II: Resurrected

dude....almost every game has demo (talking about late 1990s)

And demo is free

Now you pay AAA price foe half of the game as demo and then DLCs worth a double for a "full" game
This is the start of forum signature: I am not a GGG employee. About the username: Did you know Kowloon Gundam is made in Neo Hong Kong?

quote from the first page: "Please post one thread per issue, and check the forum for similar posts first"

This is the end of forum signature
day 1 dlc says it all really. if you make a game, release it, then make an expansion, then release that... sure. when your expansion ships along side the game its just the game in 2 bits that youre selling separately because ur a scummy business.
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
day 1 dlc says it all really.
"Day 1 DLC" says nothing, as far as I'm concerned. I've never understood why some wield the words as if they're something to be guilty about. Downloadable? Good. Extra content? You mean like if somehow Lord of Destruction had been available on the same launch day as Diablo 2? Hell yeah, no problem there. So the idea that "day 1 DLC" is inherently a bad thing has always struck me as most illogical.

I don't have a easy to remember catchphrase for what I think "says it all really." But I do have a kind of mental image for it.

There's a point in the early section of some very few games — the original Diablo 2 being one of them, Super Metroid for SNES being another — where the craftsmanship of EVERY facet of the experience is such that you begin to notice a conspicuous lack of flaws. Conspicuous, as in: while you can believe your eyes and ears that they don't exist now, you can't quite believe that the flaws never existed. So you begin to imagine parts of the game where you might have created flaws, flaws that DID, in your narrative, exist, but then were culled by a diligent game developer employee. You imagine this employee, quite visually despite having no idea what such employees actually look like, playing the game over and over to be irritated by the flaws, then removing them so they wouldn't irritate you, even though you can't quite know what those flaws were.

A truly great game is swimming with the ghosts of design mistakes. It doesn't feel inhabited, really — the dead do not inhabit — but neither does it feel like a place that has NEVER been inhabited. But you definitely get the feeling, from how things are arranged, that some intelligence had been here before you — and had loved the place very much. Perhaps dangerously too much. Enough to create a few ghosts. Enough to leave a piece of their soul behind.

A truly great game feels like trespassing, without ever setting eyes upon the owner — indeed, who knows if the owner will, or can, return? If I had to pick just one word for it, such a game feels haunted. Not in the nightmarish supernatural sense, but how it would feel to actually spend a night very much awake in a place local legend describes as haunted.

Ironically, it is the terrible game that feels like going where no man has gone before. If there is negative connotation to find in the phrase "day 1," it is in seeing a desperate last-minute scramble to first inhabit such places while you're first arriving in the game world. You simply know they won't be ready in time — not really ready. One does not simply haunt the new.

Or to put it another way, there's nothing wrong with your Day 1. But there's a lot wrong with playing a game during the development team's day 1. Or day 2. Or any day before you can feel the ghosts begin to swim.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Aug 20, 2021, 10:16:38 PM
Ooops. They broke shared stash somehow.

And some characters cant join games at all.

Oh well. Beta.

At least the lag is a lot better this time.

https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Aug 20, 2021, 11:46:01 PM
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:

Yeah, people hate B4B for that

Also, most AAA game are expected to have DLC nowadays , Hitman 2 have the storyline gated behind DLC and then Hitman 3 basically a standalone expansion which moved to Epic so that Steam user does not have a chance to have a free upgrade on game engine
This is the start of forum signature: I am not a GGG employee. About the username: Did you know Kowloon Gundam is made in Neo Hong Kong?

quote from the first page: "Please post one thread per issue, and check the forum for similar posts first"

This is the end of forum signature
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
"Day 1 DLC" says nothing, as far as I'm concerned. I've never understood why some wield the words as if they're something to be guilty about. Downloadable? Good. Extra content? You mean like if somehow Lord of Destruction had been available on the same launch day as Diablo 2? Hell yeah, no problem there. So the idea that "day 1 DLC" is inherently a bad thing has always struck me as most illogical.

I don't have a easy to remember catchphrase for what I think "says it all really." But I do have a kind of mental image for it.

There's a point in the early section of some very few games — the original Diablo 2 being one of them, Super Metroid for SNES being another — where the craftsmanship of EVERY facet of the experience is such that you begin to notice a conspicuous lack of flaws. Conspicuous, as in: while you can believe your eyes and ears that they don't exist now, you can't quite believe that the flaws never existed. So you begin to imagine parts of the game where you might have created flaws, flaws that DID, in your narrative, exist, but then were culled by a diligent game developer employee. You imagine this employee, quite visually despite having no idea what such employees actually look like, playing the game over and over to be irritated by the flaws, then removing them so they wouldn't irritate you, even though you can't quite know what those flaws were.

A truly great game is swimming with the ghosts of design mistakes. It doesn't feel inhabited, really — the dead do not inhabit — but neither does it feel like a place that has NEVER been inhabited. But you definitely get the feeling, from how things are arranged, that some intelligence had been here before you — and had loved the place very much. Perhaps dangerously too much. Enough to create a few ghosts. Enough to leave a piece of their soul behind.

A truly great game feels like trespassing, without ever setting eyes upon the owner — indeed, who knows if the owner will, or can, return? If I had to pick just one word for it, such a game feels haunted. Not in the nightmarish supernatural sense, but how it would feel to actually spend a night very much awake in a place local legend describes as haunted.

Ironically, it is the terrible game that feels like going where no man has gone before. If there is negative connotation to find in the phrase "day 1," it is in seeing a desperate last-minute scramble to first inhabit such places while you're first arriving in the game world. You simply know they won't be ready in time — not really ready. One does not simply haunt the new.

Or to put it another way, there's nothing wrong with your Day 1. But there's a lot wrong with playing a game during the development team's day 1. Or day 2. Or any day before you can feel the ghosts begin to swim.

Very well written. :)
However, I don't agree that Diablo 2 is such a game.
I played D2 for a very long time and some aspects of it really fit your description above. Sound design, for example. Everything has its unique sound, so you don't need to see the swirling dots on your head to know you've been cursed with Iron Maiden.

Monster and skill design, however, were not so swimming in ghosts of flaws. They were there in persona. Remember vanilla Corpse Explosion? Just blew up the whole screen at higher levels.
Being stuck at Duriel because the portal did not appear? Werrrrlll... we have a workaround, Duriel now always drops a Scroll of Town Portal.

So while I did and do love Diablo 2, I think it is far from being (or having been) flawless from the beginning.
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:

Day 1 DLC is usually cutting content that should have been in the main game for extra monetization. Maybe the base game got super delayed for some reason and the team working on the DLC completed it prior to release? It's possible, usually you can tell by looking at the base game and what is offered in the DLC whether that's the case or whether they are trying you sell you a game like individual slices of a pie.

If you don't want to sell your game for the standard price then up it and sell the whole game. I stay away from games like that, no matter how good a game is it can be ruined by bad business practices.
How odd that the thread would veer into a passionate and vehement debate about something the game in question will absolutely not have.

Odd, and in light of the game you all suffer together, amazingly appropriate.

______

Somehow they fixed the shared stash issue without a patch or downtime. Must have been subtle server fuckery. Glad they were able to divine it.

Working on my paladin now. I know it gets outpaced before long but Sacrifice is such a lovely early game attack. That cost probably scares people off (I can't be the only one to have misread it as 8% of life rather than 8% of damage dealt) but it's really negligible for a while.

For whatever reason the colour settings in my tv make it hard to tell rare from unique. I remember having a similar issue on my old CRTs back in the day.

Auto gold pick up was a good QoL decision.

It's definitely not the same game, but I think it'd be a failure of a restoration if it did.
https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Aug 21, 2021, 8:48:43 PM
if lod was made as the same time as diablo 2 it would have been act 5 of diablo 2, it wouldnt be a separate thing you had to buy along side paying for the regular game, because thats how games used to work. you make a game and you sell the game, it has a price, you buy it, you get the game.

what day 1 dlc = is they made the game, and then cut off bits off the content in the game to sell separately as dlc. its not extra content, its extra cost, its part of the content of the game they want you to buy separately on top so the game costs you more than the expected price of a game, even though its all content that they made for the game and released on day 1.

if diablo 2 had day 1 dlc it would have been a 3 act game for the price we all paid and then there would be act 4 but you have to buy that separately, and you dont get the paladin with the game you have to pay extra for him, and if you spend even more on the hype edition you get 100% increased xp and gold drops for the first week. thats what the day 1 dlc model for d2 would have looked like if that sort of scumlord garbage existed back then. it would be the content they had ready to release on day 1 that we bought as a single game but sold in multiple bits because what we bought for the single expected price of a game was 100% of the content that they had ready to release at the time. the dlc would have been extracted from that content, theres nothing extra about it.
The core reason why "Day 1 DLC" is perceived as a problem is because gamers have allowed themselves to be trained into a "completionist" consumer mentality obsessed with the idea of owning the "full" game.

If you accept not owning everything as an entirely normal, healthy state of being, this ceases to be an issue. Games are just a product like any other, and what matters is not owning everything to do with that product, but rather, whether what you do choose to buy is good value.

The company that made my phone also makes loads of accessories for it, many of which were no doubt released on "Day 1". They could have given me all those accessories for free - that was in their power, just as it's in game studios' power to give out DLC for free. But the idea that they "should" have included those things is shakier. Why should they? Nobody owes me that. My phone works fine as it is and I am happy with the price I paid - it is an independent item that I assess on its own merits.

Not just phones, but cars, sandwiches, coffee, event tickets, computer parts, textbooks, laptops, TV series', etc etc. We deal with "the company has optional additions available for purchase right now when they could be giving them to me for free!!" like rational adults on a daily basis.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info