There is NO USA LAW that exempts you from wearing a mask...

"
yamface wrote:
"
Just wait until the aliens arrive. Then you'll see an unprecedented unity amongst humankind, guaranfuckinteed.

An entertaining thought but humanity would be doomed if that happened. Aliens arriving to earth implies they have the technology to travel between galaxies, which is far beyond the current human civilization can even comprehend.

'Doomed' and 'united' are a very common pairing. What, never heard of Thermopylae? How about the Battle of Wizna? The Sacking of Rome in 1527?

Spoiler
I may or may not just be picking random Sabaton songs here.

At any rate, a virus doesn't quite present the same...convenient universal threat as an alien species, at which we can fire our ridiculously excessive global armament, maybe fly some jets around dramatically and eventually, inevitably, punch one of them in their ugly faces.

Or maybe just wave signs of welcome and admire the pretty lights and make glorious synth music with them.

Close Encounters on Independence Day would be one strange but possibly entertaining movie.

Spoiler
Bonus points if anyone remembers what we used to actually win the fight in Independence Day. It was none of the above.

Getting this back on some semblance of track, I find it interesting that 'mask' as a verb means to 'conceal something'; I suppose it is revealing when someone pointedly doesn't wear the same one as most people around them. On the other hand, 'masked hero' is a thing too -- and what is the masked hero concealing? Their true identity, which is almost invariably a weakness. Still, in real life, it is true that typically we expect the mask to be a sign of villainy, of deceit and treachery. This is especially true in the developed West where so much of our facial expression and recognition relies on mouth movement and configuration. Cover the mouth in the West and you are almost Other, whereas in so many other cultures it's considered anything from polite (Most of Asia when you've a cold) to sacred (the niqab in the Middle East), and there is greater reliance on other body language.

As someone who rarely smiles other than moments of genuine joy and rapture, I kind of dig that. Smiles with the mouth are too easy to fake, but when one reaches the eyes, there's something familiar to it. If eyes are the windows to the soul, the mouth is the outfall of the mind.

https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Oct 25, 2020, 6:29:59 AM
"
Raycheetah wrote:
Huh. Couldn't keep it on y'all's pants, could you? How long before this thread is locked like the other one? =^[.]^=

As long as we dont blame chinese for starting this, we should be safe from TENCENTggg censoring us. lets count the minutes until this post gets deleted.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke
"
Guys, this thread has devolved into a literal discussion about actual politics and political systems, which is specifically against our Code of Conduct.

I'm going to go ahead and shut this thread down now rather than send everyone a PM, and just remind you all to please not discuss politics or religion here on Path of Exile.

So far, I've seen nothing along such lines. I'm sure the friendly CoCpolice will let us know if we get close. I have faith we can discuss this particular topic without having a rerun of that ill-fated megathread. The absence of certain agents provocateurs-by-proxy should help.
https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
"
"
Guys, this thread has devolved into a literal discussion about actual politics and political systems, which is specifically against our Code of Conduct.

I'm going to go ahead and shut this thread down now rather than send everyone a PM, and just remind you all to please not discuss politics or religion here on Path of Exile.

So far, I've seen nothing along such lines. I'm sure the friendly CoCpolice will let us know if we get close. I have faith we can discuss this particular topic without having a rerun of that ill-fated megathread. The absence of certain agents provocateurs-by-proxy should help.

It doesnt take politics or religion to get silenced here. Once i joked about women and my post was immediately deleted. It was a comment with some sarcasm, but not full of hate. Seems that forum moderators here tend to resort to dictatorial methods if you dont follow their agenda. When was the day free opinion died? I think I missed that.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke
Last edited by Toshis8 on Oct 25, 2020, 8:05:21 AM
When it comes to masks and filtration, COVID is quite problematic.

When you wear a mask, the idea is to direct particulates up instead of out, thus preventing direct contact to someone near you. By adding social distance as well, the chances of this contact are much lower. The problem is the person wearing the mask, isnt protected from inhaling, or having droplets enter through the eyes , nose, or mouth. That's why indoor transmission is so high.

The virus is also very small comparatively, and passes through the vast majority of masks and hepa filters. Its a real problem.

As far as a discussion around COVID being carried out here, I do think its possible without devolving into a blatant political focus. Sure maybe some points overlap a bit, but I dont think it's an issue unless somebody pushes it intentionally, which is what our fearless ruler was alluding to. COVID itself isnt political, nor is it in conflict with any CoC rules. If we behave like good little boys and girls, we should be ok.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by DarthSki44 on Oct 25, 2020, 10:20:32 AM
"
Basic human nature doesn't change, but our concept of society, family, community...those definitely change.

Just wait until the aliens arrive. Then you'll see an unprecedented unity amongst humankind, guaranfuckinteed.

Curious, Mrs. and I were star gazing last night and discussing this exact topic.
~ Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
Some US states require people to wear a mask, some states don't. It seem the laws on mask isn't uniform. In states that have laws that require people to wear mask, then they do need to wear them. In states that don't, that is a big question mark.
Someone called me? Agent Provocateur 00013 reporting for duty, sir!

Edit: Nah, just kiddin', don't sweat it. I'll just go back to playing the game, and let you have your little debate in peace, I'm particularly enjoying the league. Nice 'n' sleazy does it!
Ἀρχή Σοφίας ἡ τῶν ὀνομάτων ἐπίσκεψις -Ἀντισθένης ἁπλοκύων
Last edited by Nizhidrhamannit on Oct 25, 2020, 10:52:42 AM
It would be nice to a have a cozy, remote little house somewhere in the nature, away from civilization. A self sustaining house, with solar panels, a well for water, water boiler etc. and a job where you can work alone.
"
DoubleU wrote:
"
Basic human nature doesn't change, but our concept of society, family, community...those definitely change.

Curious, Mrs. and I were star gazing last night and discussing this exact topic.

Maybe the coronavirus are the aliens?
Any signature worth using is against the rules. Therefore, no signature will be found here.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info