Corona virus

I mean it's pretty academic in the end.

Eventually we will populate beyond sustainability(if we are not at that point now), resulting in pandemic disease that cannot be contained easily or at all (that is far more deadly), or there will be conflict over resources, or lastly an event beyond our control that descends us into chaos (meteor strike, solar flare, super volcano, etc...)
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
"
Boem wrote:
Thanks for stating the obvious, let me add on by stating something equally obvious.

Siphoning away the smart and productive people from a geographical location leaving only the uneducated and people who thrive on abuse and control by force helps prolong wars and conflict.

Peace,

-Boem-
Oh hey, it's the classic "brain drain is bad, mkay" argument.

I don't believe brain drain is bad. It's natural to me that the most intelligent and productive people would seek the company of other intelligent and productive people, while the brutish would be left to associate with themselves. It just makes sense that the people would go to where they are values and where they share in the values of the native population.

What doesn't make sense is an idea that, as a circumstance of one's birth nationality, one has a duty to his ignorant and/or savage countrymen to somehow spare them from the system they've created for themselves. No, they fucking do not. The intelligent Syrian has no obligation to fix Syria, and to suggest he does is, deliberately or not, feeding into the fascist narrative that the individual exists to serve the state rather than the other way around. Because that's where this "brain drain" argument originally comes from: fascists on the internet.
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
"
Boem wrote:
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
What about the migrants and refugees in the Middle east? They'll catch it eventually (if they haven't already). It'll be a slaughterhouse.
Imagine thinking people leaving warzones or actual poverty being phazed by a 2% death toll.
That's cute sir.
Whats also cute is the panic that will spread among them and thus make their attempts to cross borders even more fierce. Or the virus mutating thanks to the millions hapless recipients.
Gotta side with Boem on this one. 80% of refugees are below age 35, compared to about 50% of Americans. That's a very young group, and mostly healthy too — perhaps carriers for COVID19, but unlikely to die from it.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Mar 17, 2020, 11:37:07 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/17/trump-calls-covid-19-the-chinese-virus-as-rift-with-coronavirus-beijing-escalates

*sigh* Because that's what we need right now, more stigmatisation between vulnerable, volatile nationalities when we're facing a crisis that's going to affect everyone regardless of nationality.

Just when you think someone competent had found a way to get their hand far enough up the puppet's arse to keep things civil and constructive. I wonder if he was starting to realise that he was fast becoming irrelevant compared to a global pandemic, and so threw that line out there. Nah, stupidity not malice, etc.

__

I am absolutely appalled at how eagerly Australia is trying to outdo Italy. Still no mass school closures. Still allowing gatherings up to 500 people. STILL encouraging people to believe that simply keeping a seat empty next to you is distance enough.

Fuckmedrunk.

__

On a nicer note, found out that one of the first human trial volunteers for a potential vaccine over in Seattle is a friend of mine. That was quite shocking. I didn't know I knew anyone healthy enough to qualify for such a thing. I thanked him profusely for his service, as did many of his at-risk friends and family. Early days, but still, wonderful news.
https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Mar 17, 2020, 11:28:28 AM
"
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/17/trump-calls-covid-19-the-chinese-virus-as-rift-with-coronavirus-beijing-escalates

*sigh* Because that's what we need right now, more stigmatisation between vulnerable, volatile nationalities when we're facing a crisis that's going to affect everyone regardless of nationality.
Drumpf and his fucking hate facts. The nerve of some people!
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
Boem wrote:
But i never had a progressive or liberal give a solid counter-argument when confronted with the fact that migration sucks other country's dry when it comes to potential.
If humans are the lifeblood of a society then migration is like a good medieval bloodletting under the same pretence of empathy and care.

Besides what Scrotie said above (that you're insisting on some sort of fascist duty onto people rather than letting them make their own lives), there's also just simply potential gains - https://www.economist.com/the-world-if/2017/07/13/a-world-of-free-movement-would-be-78-trillion-richer

Not that I agree with that article mind, as I typically feel The Economist deliberately chooses to live in some sort hypothetical economic utopia where politics, religion, tribalism and other social forces don't exist, but the pure economic case is there for what it's worth, as far as it goes.

But also, you're putting forward a strawman. That article takes it all the way for the purpose of a hypothetical envisioning, but most progressives aren't arguing for completely open borders, just less draconian treatment of those who are coming. Funnily enough, the people who're most in favor of completely removing all barriers to migration are hardcore libertarians, which is typically treated as lying more on the political right, not left.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Oh hey, it's the classic "brain drain is bad, mkay" argument.

I don't believe brain drain is bad. It's natural to me that the most intelligent and productive people would seek the company of other intelligent and productive people, while the brutish would be left to associate with themselves. It just makes sense that the people would go to where they are values and where they share in the values of the native population.

What doesn't make sense is an idea that, as a circumstance of one's birth nationality, one has a duty to his ignorant and/or savage countrymen to somehow spare them from the system they've created for themselves. No, they fucking do not. The intelligent Syrian has no obligation to fix Syria, and to suggest he does is, deliberately or not, feeding into the fascist narrative that the individual exists to serve the state rather than the other way around. Because that's where this "brain drain" argument originally comes from: fascists on the internet.

I wasn't making that argument, simply stating why perpetual war is innevitable in such locations.

You can be fine with your brain drain contra argument and it's not unreasonable but then complaining about country's in despair or under constant war is also a hypocritical state of affairs.

Either you mix the population and have a relative medium inteligent way of doing things, or you get two extremes divided geographically.(no absolutes, obviously, but tendency spikes will occur with predictable outcomes)

You can't go on the one hand "migration is good" and on the other hand go "well they cant stay because of war".
Thats mixing cause and effect to hipocritically build an argument.

I also thinks its easy to make your argument when you by happenstance were born in a relatively intelligent run country.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
https://www.repubblica.it/salute/medicina-e-ricerca/2020/03/16/news/coronavirus_studio_il_50-75_dei_casi_a_vo_sono_asintomatici_e_molto_contagiosi-251474302/?ref=RHPPTP-BH-I251454518-C12-P3-S2.4-T1&refresh_ce&fbclid=IwAR045jdHRyIW45TOm98t_vRcQmb4PobGiPjbF9-3b53YarmfXhmmVC--yrk

Use google translate, if you can't figure out the gist of this one.

"
ROME - "The vast majority of people infected with Covid-19, between 50 and 75%, are completely asymptomatic but represent a formidable source of contagion"

Absolutely terrifying for someone like me.

Asyms everywhere...(80% serious, 20% joking because what else can I do?)
https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Mar 17, 2020, 12:12:06 PM
"
https://www.repubblica.it/salute/medicina-e-ricerca/2020/03/16/news/coronavirus_studio_il_50-75_dei_casi_a_vo_sono_asintomatici_e_molto_contagiosi-251474302/?ref=RHPPTP-BH-I251454518-C12-P3-S2.4-T1&refresh_ce&fbclid=IwAR045jdHRyIW45TOm98t_vRcQmb4PobGiPjbF9-3b53YarmfXhmmVC--yrk

Use google translate, if you can't figure out the gist of this one.

"
ROME - "The vast majority of people infected with Covid-19, between 50 and 75%, are completely asymptomatic but represent a formidable source of contagion"

Absolutely terrifying for someone like me.

Asyms everywhere...(80% serious, 20% joking because what else can I do?)

Totally agree, and why I'm concerned for my parents, and other vulnerable folks.

Combine this with a nearly 14 day infectious incubation period, and this is basically an unmitigated, unknown, disaster, with an apex that we dont really know or understand fully (In the US).

I mean hell, a virus that can kill you, or give you mild symptoms, or literally your body gives zero fucks it's even there, is a terrifying situation for infectious disease experts I'm sure.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by DarthSki44 on Mar 17, 2020, 12:20:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfsdJGj3-jM
Coronavirus: From 93 infected to 0, what did this Chinese City do to contain the virus?

Friend of mine who is a doctor *phd-gastro* send me this mail with this video link.

xxxxx
6:15 AM (16 hours ago)
to me

Hi Lolo,
thank you for your email.

I agree with you about the info regarding vitamin D. If PlivitD3 formula is a bit too strong in taste for your kids ask your doctor to prescribe you Oleovit (drops - 2 per day for children and 3-5 for adults) which is in Slovenia since last year and is tasteless.

In my opinion you can also supplement anything that is in general in favour of supporting immune system (zinc, selen, vitamin E, B complex). Like xxxx already told you, there is some data about antiviral effect of raw garlic but this is probably better for prevention in adults.

This is a video about China that could also spread some info regarding hygiene measurements in everyday life: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfsdJGj3-jM

Not to scare anyone, but unless there is a miracle in the next weeks, I do not have very high hopes regarding the control of the infection since most of the people (even doctors!) will take the matter too lightly until at least 50 death cases.

If there is not an urgent need I would advise you to keep away from our medical system for the next two months. If you will need to see the doctor take all the precautions that are presented in the video and try to solve the matter by phone first.
With prayers for our health,

xxxxx
Forum pvp
Last edited by lolozori on Mar 17, 2020, 6:15:42 PM
This aint quarantine, this is my daily routine.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info