Corona virus

How can you call it a fallacy when the thing you linked said we simply don't know what will happen once the summer hits. I never said it will 100% slow down either.
"
StatehMahout wrote:
This virus shouldn't be taken lightly, there are 5,080 deaths already in just 3 months.

For comparison, the common flu has caused 2500 deaths per month on average over the last 10 years. Please keep in mind that it has a far higher number of overall infections though.

Just today it was announced that all schools will close for at least the next six weeks where I live. I personally don't think it'll do all that much other than slightly slow doen the speed at which it spreads, but oh well.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
Fair enough, I will reword it.

As a general note, I have lost all patience for what seems like Covid-19 apologism by way of comparison to a disease that we've faced every year, have developed significant defences against. All. I'll say it for the last fucking time: if I get the seasonal flu, I. Will. Not. Die. If I get Covid-19, I very well might. I'm not asking any of you to empathise, only to take a little time to imagine what this feels like, when someone compares something that might kill you with something that barely bothers you for a week at most. Use whatever fucking analogy you want. I won't take refuge or comfort in analogies with this one.

I don't see how I can make this any clearer.
https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Mar 13, 2020, 8:24:34 AM
Looks like China is resuming most of its business activities which should put to rest claims that they are lying. They are even sending help to Italy, which is good. I wouldn't mind seeing them take charge of the matter, considering how woefully incapable Europe and the US showed up to be.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/people-fully-recover-coronavirus-left-103917303.html

People who fully recover from the coronavirus can be left with '20 to 30%' less lung function, and gasping for breath when they walk quickly

While it's too early to establish long-term effects of the illness, scans of nine patients in the group suggested that recovered patients had sustained organ damage, the Post reported.

WASH YOUR HANDS!
Forum pvp
Last edited by lolozori on Mar 13, 2020, 8:42:19 AM
Meh, I've gone through some pneumonias in my life and its not like the side effects leave you immediately even when you recover.
I was just thinking about this in regards to the death rate. Obviously it's an estimate and we'll probably never know the real figure for various reasons, and honestly I don't think it really matters. But I do think both Iran and China have concealed the truth along the way, China mostly because of internal politics, Iran because they didn't want the world knowing how vulnerable they were. I think both have given reduced infection and mortality numbers, which probably balances out in the end when we're talking percentiles.

I know people love to obsess over grim statistics, and they make for eye-catching headlines, but in a way we need to get past those numbers and just deal with the reality that you are not a statistic, your loved ones and friends are not statistics. Someday we will be, but not right now. Right now we're people fighting a world war against a foe that can't be reasoned with, can't be understood, can't be forced to surrender. We win not by killing it but by figuring out how to live with it. This is not an enemy that is easy to demonise because it's a force of nature.

All of this makes it much harder to romanticise, to inspire courage to rally against.

But we have to. This is one of those situations where, if we're very lucky, we can look back and think, well, that was exaggerated and overblown, what a farce that was! Because if we can do that, it's not because it was exaggerated or overblown. It's because we somehow fought and won.
https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/jmv.25728

The neuroinvasive potential of SARS‐CoV2 may be at least partially responsible for the respiratory failure of COVID‐19 patients

"If the neuroinvasion of SARS‐CoV‐2 does take a part in the development of respiratory failure in patients with COVID‐19, the precaution with masks will absolutely be the most effective measure to protect against the possible entry of the virus into the CNS. It may also be expected that the symptoms of the patients infected via fecal‐oral or conjunctival route will be lighter than those infected intranasally. The possible neuroinvasion of SARS‐CoV‐2 may also partially explain why some patients developed respiratory failure, while others not."

"Since SARS‐CoV2 may conceal itself in the neurons from the immune recognition, complete clearance of the virus may not be guaranteed even the patients have recovered from the acute infection. In support of this, there is evidence that SARS‐CoV‐2 is still detectable in some patients during the convalescent period.43 Therefore, given the probable neuroinvasion the risk of SARS‐CoV‐2 infection may be currently underestimated."
Forum pvp
I understand the authorities telling people masks don't help since that was based on evidence at the time and resulted in more masks being available for the medical staff treating patients (100% the right call) but we still don't fully understand the transmission. And as more people outside of information black-holes like China are infected, there are more and more cases where the authorities are baffled as to how the infection occurred. So I am not ruling out a later declaration that masks help more than simply for those who are already infected or working closely with the infected.

"
I was just thinking about this in regards to the death rate. Obviously it's an estimate and we'll probably never know the real figure for various reasons, and honestly I don't think it really matters. But I do think both Iran and China have concealed the truth along the way, China mostly because of internal politics, Iran because they didn't want the world knowing how vulnerable they were. I think both have given reduced infection and mortality numbers, which probably balances out in the end when we're talking percentiles.

I know people love to obsess over grim statistics, and they make for eye-catching headlines, but in a way we need to get past those numbers and just deal with the reality that you are not a statistic, your loved ones and friends are not statistics. Someday we will be, but not right now. Right now we're people fighting a world war against a foe that can't be reasoned with, can't be understood, can't be forced to surrender. We win not by killing it but by figuring out how to live with it. This is not an enemy that is easy to demonise because it's a force of nature.

All of this makes it much harder to romanticise, to inspire courage to rally against.

But we have to. This is one of those situations where, if we're very lucky, we can look back and think, well, that was exaggerated and overblown, what a farce that was! Because if we can do that, it's not because it was exaggerated or overblown. It's because we somehow fought and won.

Sadly Merica and China are now playing the " you created this virus" game.
Sad really, The world should unite on this.

The risk every one of us have to lose in the next month a loved one (grand parents-parents) is very high... Doing childish game of blaming others at a time like this is disgusting.
Forum pvp

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info