Younger cousin #rekt someone.

the guy he punched will come back with his gang to "beat the crap out of the weirdo".

violence leads to more violence. what then? buy a weapon? further escalate?
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
vio wrote:
the guy he punched will come back with his gang to "beat the crap out of the weirdo".

So what? Acceptance of bullying? Allowing some bastard to do things without doing anything?

Self defence should be effcient. If attacked defend himself not efficient enought then it will escalate but if he/she does that efficient and make an example rest wont be so eager to "beat the shit out of the weirdo".
"
de99ial wrote:
Allowing some bastard to do things without doing anything?

no. just wanna mention that violence, even for self defence can become a vicious cycle.
and if it's just that the kid learns that violence can be a means to solve problems. cause it doesn't in civilised cultures.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
All i read is "i have no clue about people on the autism spectrum".

First assumption : they are bothered by bullying, assuming they care or think social status is important or relevant.

second assumption : they utilize the same rational to perceive the world like most people do and act proportionally to context

third assumption : they utilize strenth in the same way we do

From personal experience i have seen a kid with autism hang on a chandelier in a three meter high room for five hours straight, literally.
And i have seen that same kid hit a wall in a rage fit and destroy multiple bricks inside the wall(destroying his own hand partially).

Now he was a very specific case, like most are, but by the description given in the OP i wouldn't advice what the OP did.
You can go all high and mighty about self-defense and project your assumptions on him pretending he is normal when he is not. But i wouldn't be convinced by your argument in the slightest from personal experience.

Context maters and your advice is solid for regular functioning people, but not being partially aware of the exceptions to the rule does nobody any favors.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
Boem wrote:
First assumption : they are bothered by bullying, assuming they care or think social status is important or relevant.

Speaking as someone who is autistic, and who spends a lot of time around other autistic people, yes we do care about being accepted just as much as neurotypical people do, and sometimes more. While we're often oblivious to social cues, we're not stupid and are perfectly capable of understanding how social systems work.

That being said, just like neurotypical people, no two autistic people are the same. We have similarities, but far more differences. Some autistic people don't care about social status, just like some neurotypical people don't.

"
Boem wrote:
And i have seen that same kid hit a wall in a rage fit and destroy multiple bricks inside the wall(destroying his own hand partially).

People talk about "autistic rage" and I've experienced it. I call it "Hulking Out" as when it happens all I can think about is smashing things and I can do feats of strength that I can't do normally - I've ripped doors off their hinges, smashed through walls and pulled riveted metal apart with my bare hands. And afterwards I have next to no recollection about what just happened.
I was generalizing to make a point, i thought that was obvious else i wouldn't begin with stating "autism spectrum".

Just pointing out that normal advice like "self defense is apropriate when your being bullied" isn't as clear cut advice in this context.

For example, lets say people avoid him already because he is autistic and they cant "read him" appropriately.
Then add to that the fact he punched somebody and is considered aggressive, even if its just a rumour it will compound to more social exclusion.

Good job, you just added more mental and emotional strain on him, not the person bullying.

It's really dumb advice in a situation like this all in the name of virtue.

Peace,

-Boem-
"
vio wrote:

Why not? Either buy a weapon, learn a martial art or attack them while they are alone like I did at school. It wont stop otherwise, trust me, and some pain once will surely beat the constant humiliation that can go on for years.
"
LennyLen wrote:
"
Boem wrote:

Speaking as someone who is autistic, and who spends a lot of time around other autistic people, yes we do care about being accepted just as much as neurotypical people do, and sometimes more. While we're often oblivious to social cues, we're not stupid and are perfectly capable of understanding how social systems work.

That being said, just like neurotypical people, no two autistic people are the same. We have similarities, but far more differences. Some autistic people don't care about social status, just like some neurotypical people don't.

"
Boem wrote:

People talk about "autistic rage" and I've experienced it. I call it "Hulking Out" as when it happens all I can think about is smashing things and I can do feats of strength that I can't do normally - I've ripped doors off their hinges, smashed through walls and pulled riveted metal apart with my bare hands. And afterwards I have next to no recollection about what just happened.

I love the way everyone is generalising based on what they think / know about Autism. Simply put - we have no idea exactly how far down the rabbit hole that is the Autism spectrum is that the OP's nephew? was. Highly functional, aware of social ques, able to reason, sure. Teach the kid self defense. Unable to reason, IQ of around 70, non-responsive to social ques (like sarcasm) maybe not.

I know plenty of kids who have autism that do actually do Ti-Kwon-do and they are aware of consequences. There are also plenty of kids on the spectrum in the support unit in our school where I teach where we have to be very careful because they DONT understand consequences and in one case beat the crap out of 3 kids in the class because they 'looked at me funny' and 'dad said to hit them first'. This child honestly didn't think they had done anything wrong.

-Matt
There are 10 types of people. Those that know binary, and those that dont.
"
vio wrote:
"
de99ial wrote:
Allowing some bastard to do things without doing anything?

no. just wanna mention that violence, even for self defence can become a vicious cycle.
and if it's just that the kid learns that violence can be a means to solve problems. cause it doesn't in civilised cultures.

Its not violence if You are attacked and forced to defend Yourself.
It is USING FORCE. Learnd the difference between violance and force.

The core CAUSE of that situation is: Disabled persons are taregts for some bastartds.

This whole discussion is pointless because almost all is about consequences not the cause itself. I wish we lived in world where there are no such degenerate ppl who targets disabled persons but obviously we dont. So if normal persons that are responsible for keeping those things not to happen dont do their job victims are allowed to defend themselfs as efficient as they can. It is NOT their fault that their are disabled so anyone who targets them as "easy victims" should face the consequences of such actions. To me personally disabled person in such situation should be allowed to hurt bad attacker even permamently because

Its not violence if You are attacked and forced to defend Yourself.
"
essemoni wrote:

I tend to think people can infer grayscales when you present them with black and white.

I just took de99ial his assumptions and turned them upside down to illustrate the spectrum or variance.

Without great effect it appears :p, it's like hes a chanting activist or something.

Peace,

-Boem-

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info