Nobody has anything to say about Blizzard?

"
"
SeCKSEgai wrote:
you really can't blame a business for acting in it's financial interests.
Of course you can. I mean you probably shouldn't be surprised that they act in their financial interests, because they will consistently do that. But they are responsible for their actions like everyone else, and if you have a moral objection to those actions, then there's no reason that need evaporate because the company is making money immorally rather than, say, breaking even immorally. That isn't better.

Subtext.

So let me rephrase it more literally - you can't expect a corporation to choose morality over money, otherwise you're practically guaranteed to be disappointed every time.

They threw him under the bus to try and save face but the backlash proved to be far more than expected - kind of like the you guys have phones comment or the shock that red shirt guy truly represented the mindset of most of the community when he asked if it was a joke.
Yep, totally over league play.
ya i agree with these last few posts for sure, and most of the others in the thread tbh, even the contradicting view points i think theres something in most of them, its a complex situation.

from what i understand theyve now banned having cameras on the players in their games and they wont be having post match interviews etc? lmao.

imagine being so scared of free speech you dont even want to let players talk or even be seen xD, so absurd. yes you dont want the platform of your game tournaments to be used as a political platform, but at the point where you feel you cant trust anyone in this sort of way somethings obviously gone very wrong. at that point youve really got to just admit defeat surely and admit to yourself youre trying to suppress something you really shouldnt try to suppress, if the likelihood of it coming up is that great and you are that scared of it being said then youre on the wrong side of debate and really need to reconsider your position.
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
ya i agree with these last few posts for sure, and most of the others in the thread tbh, even the contradicting view points i think theres something in most of them, its a complex situation.

from what i understand theyve now banned having cameras on the players in their games and they wont be having post match interviews etc? lmao.

imagine being so scared of free speech you dont even want to let players talk or even be seen xD, so absurd. yes you dont want the platform of your game tournaments to be used as a political platform, but at the point where you feel you cant trust anyone in this sort of way somethings obviously gone very wrong. at that point youve really got to just admit defeat surely and admit to yourself youre trying to suppress something you really shouldnt try to suppress, if the likelihood of it coming up is that great and you are that scared of it being said then youre on the wrong side of debate and really need to reconsider your position.

What's the next move? Military behind each players in next Blizz event?
Hf :)
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
imagine being so scared of free speech you dont even want to let players talk or even be seen xD, so absurd. yes you dont want the platform of your game tournaments to be used as a political platform, but at the point where you feel you cant trust anyone in this sort of way somethings obviously gone very wrong.

The hell are you talking about? Whenever some dumb stunt gets one their 15 minutes of fame, there are sure to be people monkeying them. 'Trusting' people not to do this again would be absolutely retarded.
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:

Haha imagine being so naive.

The NFL dealt with this (and continues to a lesser degree) with the kneeling during the national anthem by all-around selfish jerk Colin Kaepernick.

But really, can you imagine someone on, let's say Jeporday, that wins, and at then end starts trashing the US Govt, Trump, gun control, abortion, or whatever else? That's absurd, and no business should he "forced" to deal with that kind of free-wheeling madness.

You feel strongly about something and want to take a stand? Fine, do it on your terms. Dont force capitulation on your business partners, or consumer entities.

What are we even talking about? Blizzard should hold recorded venting sessions about whatever topic the players want, anytime they are asked to speak?
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Imagine the free world being so naive as to think an oppressive regime would grant them the same luxury's.

I always struggle to find a reason why i should disagree with somebody standing up against china or saudia arabia for example.

It always reminds me of people debating those cultures in the free world and making the case for them in the total absence of a single one of those discussions actually being allowed within them.

He took a financial and personal hit for what he did, i don't agree with it but that is what it is, but i think he did an honorable thing to stand up for the ideals of freedom.

And if anybody thinks his life is not in more danger because of what he did i suggest you read up on china.

If standing up for freedom against an oppressive regime is a "big nono", when exactly is the time for such an action? Honestly curious, any takers?

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

The NFL dealt with this (and continues to a lesser degree) with the kneeling during the national anthem by all-around selfish jerk Colin Kaepernick.

how did they deal with it? by banning players being present during the national anthem and banning interviews with players on sports broadcasts? because that would be the equivalent action here. No, they didnt, so your point is.....?

imagine that, that the 2nd time that dude didnt stand for the anthem the nfl banned all players from being on the pitch during national anthems and refused to allow any interviews with players on their broadcasts. how absurd would that be?

"

The hell are you talking about? Whenever some dumb stunt gets one their 15 minutes of fame, there are sure to be people monkeying them. 'Trusting' people not to do this again would be absolutely retarded.

these are professional players who are essentially putting their careers as e-sports players in jeopardy. this is their job, they are already on camera and being interviewed because they are pro players doing this for a living day in day out. thse arnt random people from the audience just jumping up and shouting something out for a quick bit of attention, these people already have the attention on them and theyre risking it in order to make a point they believe in.

do you understand what is going on in hong kong? this pro player won a tournament, he was the champion, he was being interviewed as the champion, the spotlight was on him. he then threw it away to make a statement. he didnt just risk his job, his earnings, his prize money, in doing so publicly he has put his own freedom and even his life at risk in his country in order to stand up for the kind of freedoms people in the west are born into and expect as a given right.

dumb stunt for 15 minutes of fame...

no offense but what the hell are YOU talking about?
Blizzards' gonna be fine, sadly enough. Look at Borderlands 3 for instruction on how this'll go - its launch was preceded by as much bad press as you could hope for, and it was an Epic exclusive to boot (which a lot of people hated). Still, when it launched, it succeeded despite all that. And it didn't even do so for being a particularly great game - it's widely acknowledged as a competent successor, nothing more (basically more of the same), and with cringeworthy dialogue too. But still, it succeeded.

People will 'ooh!' and 'ahh!' in articles, fora and social media aplenty, but when the time comes, if they wanted a Blizzard game, they're mostly still gonna get a Blizzard game (or mtx). I've yet to see an example of a successful (non-lawsuit) consumer initiative that wasn't part of some really major political struggle (such as a freedom struggle - yes, it has to be that big of a deal). Consumerism is far too deeply ingrained in most people for piffle like what Blizzard has done to dissuade most of them. In other words, it's mostly hot air.
ya of course ppl will still buy blizzard games. for sure, theyll be fine, ill probably buy diablo 4, and blizzard dont even care that much about diablo 4 tbh. theyve openly said at the last blizcon that their best games developers are all working on mobile games now, and with the mobile games market in china worth what? 10x the amount of money the western pc market represents? they dont give a shit man, the future as they see it is selling the next candy crush in asia. the entire western pc market is gonna become a sort of hobby for them now.

what has happened is a big deal tho, last week the united states congress wrote a letter to actiblizzard urging them to stand up for the democratic principals of the united states and not to bow down to the oppression of the china. how often does the american government write letters to a gaming company to protest their actions?

not that blizzard will care, theyre capitalists and they know where the money is at, they dont need the american government, they wont even need the american market 5 years from now if they can make good on their plans.
Last edited by elesham4ever on Feb 16, 2020, 12:37:36 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info