Nobody has anything to say about Blizzard?

"
Boem wrote:

Do you know how many people live in America?

your bassicaly telling me,

"i saw a guy yell at his wife in the streat yesterday, therefore all men are misogynists"

It's such a redundant form of logic.

If you don't know how probability's and statistics function on a population scale, or if you don't realise for that mater that the business model of news is to outrage it's readers to keep their attention then you should really not partake in this stuff.

Most people have no clue how the life of a police officer actually looks, precisely because they are around and keep society civil to a high degree.

Peace,

-Boem-

Errors aside, part of my perspective comes from growing up just one door down from a black family. And I'm grateful for it as it allowed me to become more aware of the prejudices that I had formed subconsciously.

And its not like racism was a constant topic then. But I definitely became aware that despite both of us being shades of brown, there were times where it wasn't hard to notice the different ways we'd be received.

One story that I've never forgotten was getting my first airsoft gun, which looked like a beretta and even had weights in the grip. As it was before the orange tips on toy guns was required, I was too young to realize how easily it could be mistaken for a real weapon.

I was playing with my friend and his mom saw it and wanted to look at it. I handed to her and after a brief inspection she told me she didn't want it in their house. I didn't understand why at the time, but I definitely do now.

And to really drive the point, I was with one of my older white friends in an older supercar, not lambo level but definitely money. (And when I say older, I'm talking early thirties.) He took me on the freeway and as we were speeding down a cop pulled along side us and just motioned for us to slow it down. No stop - just a hand motion.

In comparison, a black co-worker driving the usual 70 (posted 65 but 70 is the norm) was pulled over and had to go through the entire process.

You're right, clearly not every cop is as biased as the one mentioned in the story - but that doesn't mean there aren't enough incidents to set expectations either.
Yep, totally over league play.
Your making an emotional and subjective argument again.

Cops literally put their lives on the line every single day, not that they constantly have to do this but thats the expectation society has of them and it is the way they are trained.

You know they are the people scraping body parts of the road after something happened right? Putting them in body bags and sending them to be processed and then having to go tell the mothers and fathers how their son or daughter just died.(black,white,yellow,orange,blue is irrelevant for any normal person in such a situation)

Thinking they care about the color of skin with the weight of their job and what they encounter in a "daily days work" is quite frankly stupid if you know cops yourself.

That doesn't mean racist cops don't exist, but that holds true for all parts of life. And the beautifull thing is that they are in a minority and looked down upon when they act upon it.

Thinking a person gets pulled to the side because a cop is "racist or biased" is statistically improbable. Chances are much more likely that the cop saw something else and acted on that and people looking from the outside can only see "white cop, black detainee"

It isn't even worth a debate, just look at city's where cops have pulled out currently because of fear of being labelled racist and see the crime spike up.
If there was real "racial hatred" they wouldn't have enforced the law to begin with since its the easiest way to create chaos and allow bad actors to undermine good actors.

I hesitate to bring up "gang-culture" but let's just throw in "it ain't helping nobody".

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
At this point, I'm not sure what you're even arguing.

I'm well aware that law enforcement puts their lives on the line every day. Something as minor as a traffic stop could be their last and that's not even considering the family they may leave behind.

What I do find disturbing is how you were discussing bias and prejudice yet are unwilling to believe or accept it's influence on both crime and those who enforce the law.

Oddly enough, my dad just happened to work with the mom of a friend of mine. That mother had to deal with some of the worst society has to offer. I'd never be able to do her job, but I was always thankful that someone like her could deal with all of that and not lose herself in that darkness.

It should be apparent that just because someone is trying to point out a problem, it doesn't apply to everyone - that level of over-generalization is ignorance. But this unwillingness to acknowledge racism when they're derived from actual personal experience... My parents have told me stories of how much worse it used to be. In the very same bungalow I took spanish in high school had people jumping out of windows during race riots just years before my time....

If you think I'm hating on law enforcement you're looking for the wrong message. The men and women who serve risk their lives everyday to keep us safe. And dealing with fatalities is not news to me - I've seen their work first hand. Still remember seeing the aftermath of multiple ejections on the freeway because kids got stupid and paid the price...

But it would also be disingenuous to ignore the racism.

If I had this "bias" that all cops were racist, don't you think I'd use different words? I wouldn't have bothered citing actual experiences, I'd be stating opinions as fact. I'd make baseless claims to paint a very specific picture and even deny the truth if it didn't conform to my ideals.

It's less emphasis on police corruption, far more emphasis on how unwilling even now we are to face our own prejudiced perspectives.

One last example. I still remember years ago being at this youth conference with a lot of inner city youth. When this young man got up to speak, his appearance made me immediately think cholo - instead he was incredibly eloquent and I was ashamed at how easily I succumbed to my own bias. To this day it reminds me that "pre-formed judgement" may have developed over prior experiences but also to be weary of letting those experiences blind me to the truth as well.
Yep, totally over league play.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info