Baldur's Gate 3 confirmed

"
Head_Less wrote:
"
Rexeos wrote:
Baldurs was great as there was always something happening. Maps was superb, almost every screen brough something new or at least was worth to explore. It was fast paced and there was places where different strategies could be used.

Divine Divinity in compare was long road walking from place to place. Using almost whole time same skills or strategies. Fights was longer than summer nights (ohhhmm). To get from one place to another took ages. Even game had so many great things, It was waste of time. Speed hacks helped, but sill in compare to BG it was "empty". And you was basicaly locked to use certain roles, otherwise load/save was your best friend.

After few hours I have uninstalled DD2. It was same waste of time. I feel pain when I think about Divine Divinity - those games could be really great, but they killed it mainly with speed of game. I can say it was 9/10 with all speed hacks and qol mods I have used, otherwise it was unplayable garbage and I am still upset when I think about those Divine Divinity first experience (ooooohhhhmmm) :).

I dont want Lariand to do Baldurs Gate, they didnt understood what made BG superb if it was goal with DD, but was clever enough to crate/copy what worked well. But still thats not enough.

And I hope they work on DD3 and not BG3. With what they showed to us, they can not succeed or even get close to Black Isle.

I disagree,

Divine Divinity was pretty close to baldur s gate, I don t know if anyone played it but the world and maps were full like BG. They know how to do that, they just changed their optic over time.

Divine divinity 2 was boring tho.

As for the sin series it s totally different.

I dont remember in DD was map full of stuff like in BG2: escaping prison dungeon (very start), first town and lets say datadisks 5 level tower... no boss like Twisted Rune... In Pathfinder there was few maps similar though, for example last dung before portal to very last enemy (it was again too big but at least there was worth time puzzle in it).
Last edited by Rexeos on Jun 1, 2019, 2:02:09 PM
"
aggromagnet wrote:
"
Hey guys, in much more hype news, System Shock 3 is being worked on currently. I'm kinda iffy on how that's gonna play out, it's got some of the original people working on it though so I have high hopes.

Don't know how this crowd feels about System Shock. I definitely think System Shock 2 was one of the greatest games ever made though.

It's stuck in a bit of development and financial hell though. And, uhhh, it's being finished up by OtherSide--the same studio that recently gifted the thoroughly horrible Underworld Ascendant to the world.

"
Qiox wrote:
"
aggromagnet wrote:
by OtherSide--the same studio that recently gifted the thoroughly horrible Underworld Ascendant to the world.

The degree to which that game sucked, and the variety of ways in which it is a terrible game is actually quite impressive.

+1

I gave up after 4 hours of gameplay. And they promised UW and UW2 gameplay.

Systems Shock 3 teaser looks pretty bad. Doom 3 looked better. They say another studio is doing game like it should be excuse and promise of something better: a fish rots from the head down.

ps: after seeing this, I hope game will not be so sweet like Elizabeth LeGros :D.

And if you would like to play somethin like SS2 give a try to Prey 2017, it was superb on 3D Vision.
Last edited by Rexeos on Jun 1, 2019, 2:14:45 PM
Oh that's pretty sad. I didn't know anything about Othersides other work, just that the lead guy helped with SS2. I was already pretty skeptical just from the fact it was being developed in unity. And shit, yeah, I forgot all about that Starbreeze stuff. That must have been a pretty big hit on them. I'll definitely look into Prey, I'm still gonna hold a sliver of hope for System Shock though.
Need a new signature, cuz name change. I dunno though. I guess this seems fine. Yeah, this is good.
"
lolozori wrote:
I AM WET NOW.

"
Shame it's not sin 3

Baldur's Gate is more interesting than original sin! It is miles away.

not really, it's just your memories. BG2 was nice back then, it has a better story then DO1, but thats it. ´ it almost 20 years old and back then decisionmaking systems, AI etc. weren't that big. Nostalgia at it's best.
Current Build: Penance Brand
God build?! https://pobb.in/bO32dZtLjji5
"
tsunamikun wrote:
"
lolozori wrote:
I AM WET NOW.

"
Shame it's not sin 3

Baldur's Gate is more interesting than original sin! It is miles away.

not really, it's just your memories. BG2 was nice back then, it has a better story then DO1, but thats it. ´ it almost 20 years old and back then decisionmaking systems, AI etc. weren't that big. Nostalgia at it's best.

I've played BG2 full through many times over the years. Even soloing it on 3 different builds, including the expansions.

I have a combined 800+ hours in Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2.

But, I have never spoken a word of comparison. I just don't think a fair evaluation can be made between games made that far apart. A comment here and there on one small aspect, sure, but to actually decide which is the better game? Nope, not going to even try.

I consider the following RPGs the best of "their own generation":

Ultima 7
Baldur's Gate 2
Divinity Original Sin 2
Last edited by Qiox on Jun 1, 2019, 8:23:03 PM
removed
Heart of Purity

Awarded 'Silverblade' to Talent Competition Winner 2020.
POE turned into a ratrace for the most div/hour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDFO4E5OKSE
Last edited by Reinhart on Feb 17, 2020, 12:55:28 AM
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:
Pillars of Eternity is the spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate series. Sorta like how PoE is D2's spiritual successor.

Baldur's Gate III made by another developer has no chance at being as good as 2 was. That's the problem with reviving a classic series with a new team. Name me one example where that's ever done justice to classics, or been "as good" as the classics?

Tell you right now, Larian Studios is gonna fail hard on the Story/Characters/Writing part. Characters had no personality in Divinity Original Sin 1, and the dialogue was mind numbing and boring. Lots of it, but no substance, no humor, and no intrigue. They might do OK on the combat/skills/classes aspect of the game, but I guarantee it won't be to the level of BG2 on Story/Characters/Writing.

I consider Pathfinder:Kingmaker to be the spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate myself. Pillars of Eternity for me was an ok game, but as far as delivering what was promised it was a disappointment. It had plenty of filler text which tried to be deep and failed. The plot of the second game was so poor that the entire thing can be summed up as, "A giant statue underneath your home becomes sentient and runs off into the ocean with your soul. Run off after it and recover what you lost." The combat felt underwhelming as well, with an overly sanitized combat system and next to no hard or memorable fights.

Here is the thing, the Divinity games weren't ever really trying to be similar to Baldur's Gate, the Pillars games sold themselves as being a successor to them. So it is kind of like comparing apples to oranges here. Larian might be able to pull off a Baldur's Gate 3, or they might not. Either way, it is them doing something a little bit different. Obsidian already had their chance to live up the the Baldur's Gate name and to me they failed.

Larian's overall light mood and cheesy jokes would probably fit right in with Baldur's Gate though, especially if you consider characters like Minsc and Boo (who I hated). I personally will hope for the best, even though realistically, with 20 years of nostalgia, I expect it will fail to live up to our hopes. They have set themselves a monumental challenge to live up to, let us see if they can deliver.
Last edited by EternitiesEdge on Jun 3, 2019, 10:45:34 AM
"
aggromagnet wrote:
I just really hope it's not a Baldur's Gate story wrapped in an Original Sin package. Would much rather simply see Original Sin 3 than Baldur's Gate 3 if that turns out to be the case.

Have to wait and see what they're actually doing with it.

Quite to the contrary, having the story of baldur's gate with the same gameplay engine as original sin would be absolutely amazing.

More than happy to wait on original sin 3 if they are going to improve the game engine even further before it is released.
Souls along a conduit of blood, from one vessel to the next.
"
Qiox wrote:

I've played BG2 full through many times over the years. Even soloing it on 3 different builds, including the expansions.

I have a combined 800+ hours in Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2.

But, I have never spoken a word of comparison. I just don't think a fair evaluation can be made between games made that far apart. A comment here and there on one small aspect, sure, but to actually decide which is the better game? Nope, not going to even try.

I consider the following RPGs the best of "their own generation":

Ultima 7
Baldur's Gate 2
Divinity Original Sin 2

exactly this is what i meant. The best of all time will never happen. especially when comparing games in a wide genre as rpgs. Even in DnD games i can' really decide between BG2 and nwn2:motb because the comparision would be unfair on both accounts.
Current Build: Penance Brand
God build?! https://pobb.in/bO32dZtLjji5
Here is the official announcement trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcP0WdH7rTs
Last edited by Qiox on Jun 6, 2019, 1:30:03 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info