[3.7] ICE SPEAR TOTEM | 15.75 million shaper DPS! | 8k eHP (HP\ES - 38% MOM) | Easy all content

"
Grumpsy918 wrote:
Hey all, awesome build here first of all.
I just finished leveling yesterday, i'm currently mapping a little bit above my level, and i'm really having no problems with most of the content (Minotaur, elder no problem etc.), EXCEPT for doing the legion monoliths. I understand that that's not necessarily what the build is tailored towards, but still I find myself getting 1-shot by many of the types of legion rares, or being overwhelmed very quickly by them. Is there anything you guys are changing around to do the legions more effectively?

Disclaimer: I haven't started the League yet, so don't have the practical knowledge/feel for Legion encounters, but few ideas that you might find useful:

- Since you are already running Shield with HP regen on block you can justify taking 2 clusters of shield nodes (Spell Block and Attack Block with ele damage) and running Rumi's Flask on top. These nodes are quite effective to run always imo.
Further, new Jewel can convert Pain Attunement into new Notable that doubles you block chance and reducing incoming blocked attacks by half, preventing one-shots. Gladiator ascendancy can add 15% more block, 30% with jewel but you have to compensate for lost pierce.

- One of the curses can be sacrificed for a defensive curse like enfeeble or temp chains. Was planning to map with Solstice Vigil for a free Temp Chains aura, hopefully get a pierce or +curse corruption on it.

- Ice Wall is great way to isolate monster approach (can be used with faster casting instead of frost bomb).

- You are not using any Vaal skills, some of the defensive ones can help when Monolith mobs start to appear: Cold Snap, Grace and Summon Skeletons would be my go-to to provide protective fodder.

Also, in case I won't feel like ice spear clears Legion smoothly, the contingency/backup plan is to change into Fireball totems that have much higher base damage and spread starts immediately compared to Ice Spear's 2nd form.

Edit: re-checked your Character, few notes:
1) You run 2 curses but don't have a 2nd curse source.
2) You have enough mana for Zealotry with Enlighten 2 by now if you drop Clarity. Should help with damage and provide some regeneration.
[Delve] Depth 1997 Solo/Volatile Dead
[Betrayal] Depth 1353 Solo/Dark Pact
[Legion] Depth 1003 Solo/Ice Spear
[Blight] Depth 1137 Solo/Dark Pact
[Metamorph] Depth 1005 Solo/Vortex
Last edited by zoNiklv on Jun 26, 2019, 9:56:01 PM
Thanks for the tips. I was playing with Occultist earlier so i was testing the dual curse setup. I'll end up switching back to chieftain probably once I get a good amulet. I'll have to try out Zealotry as well, I was just using Clarity because I had a nice Watcher's Eye with Clarity to ES and Hatred %pen.
"
Grumpsy918 wrote:
Thanks for the tips. I was playing with Occultist earlier so i was testing the dual curse setup. I'll end up switching back to chieftain probably once I get a good amulet. I'll have to try out Zealotry as well, I was just using Clarity because I had a nice Watcher's Eye with Clarity to ES and Hatred %pen.

Makes sense, you can fit a low level Clarity when your Enlighten hits Lvl 3 to benefit.

I personally wouldn't play with Chief, but if it helps with Legion then sure.

You can try playing around with Storm Brand instead of Orb of Storms for your curse application so that it doesn't require you to come too close to monsters to apply.

For indoor maps you can slot Chain Support instead of Cold Penetration to add a bit of madness and help with clear. Too bad we can't use Fork, that only will work on Fireball ;X
Last edited by zoNiklv on Jun 26, 2019, 11:17:10 PM
hey quick question im rerolling my scion and am wondering if this build will die to "SOMETHING" im trying to reach 100.
my problem was when i did t16 corrupted maps, i sometimes die to betrayal or legion or boss mechanics.
which sucks since i lose exp then.

how is it on this build?
Update:

I'm having a lot of success now with the Deadeye ascendancy instead of Chieftain. The extra pierce + far shot is working wonders for map clearing speed. I didn't realize this initially but the three unique jewels at the start of scion area are crucial to making the build comfortable also.

It's a new playstyle for me, having to hide around corners and let totems kill the legions, but the DPS is truly insane.
"
hey quick question im rerolling my scion and am wondering if this build will die to "SOMETHING" im trying to reach 100.
my problem was when i did t16 corrupted maps, i sometimes die to betrayal or legion or boss mechanics.
which sucks since i lose exp then.

how is it on this build?

To my knowledge there are some mechanics that can surprise even the tankiest builds this League. This build doesn't utilize too many of defensive mechanics thus it can't be tagged as "Supersafe".

If your goal is just hitting Lvl 100 on your scion, your best bet would be either Nebuloch dual-weld Cyclone with Jugg endurance charge stacking or Unarmed Reckoning Cyclone with Gladiator and Block stacking.

You can definitely push Ice Spear Totems to 100, however it's not a breeze.
"
Grumpsy918 wrote:
Update:

I'm having a lot of success now with the Deadeye ascendancy instead of Chieftain. The extra pierce + far shot is working wonders for map clearing speed. I didn't realize this initially but the three unique jewels at the start of scion area are crucial to making the build comfortable also.

It's a new playstyle for me, having to hide around corners and let totems kill the legions, but the DPS is truly insane.

1. Ice spear pierce all enemy in second form.
2. Without regen ES y will die from all DOT.
You cannot recharge ES by DOT, so y have not ES for spam totems then y die.
This reason was the main why i changed Hiero for Scion (cos i need ES regen)
Last edited by lllNonStop on Jun 28, 2019, 3:12:12 AM
I have to say that I love the skill tree setup of your build. But also, Ice spear has got to be the worst spell skill for totems. Most of the time the totems are useless because melee monsters will be on them and they can't get the second stage of a spear so they do almost not damage.
"
Drackenith wrote:
I have to say that I love the skill tree setup of your build. But also, Ice spear has got to be the worst spell skill for totems. Most of the time the totems are useless because melee monsters will be on them and they can't get the second stage of a spear so they do almost not damage.

You need an initial source of pierce so that the initial projectile goes through, which is why I went for Deadeye. Alternatively you can get pierce on an amulet or on a jewel. Otherwise you have to place your totems very far away to get the split.

edit: trying back to Chieftain with pierce amulet now
Last edited by Grumpsy918 on Jun 29, 2019, 12:34:32 AM
It's not the most fluid mapper, although, once you put enough currency into it it's not that bad. Excellent boss killer though, which is what its true purpose is. You can throw together a cheap league starter mapper build which is what I did to farm currency and then work on this guy for any endgame content.

you can back mobs away with projectile weakness orb of storms on top of your totems or just be a little smart with placement. Using your first set as a tank and the other just a little bit behind them.
Last edited by ohhhhbeeee on Jun 29, 2019, 5:17:37 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info