[3.9] Gryph's CI Vortex + Coldsnap Trickster || Uber Elder+Everything Else

Any tips on how to improve my dmg? Using this as my starter and the dmg feels so low so far
"
Jenova798 wrote:
Any tips on how to improve my dmg? Using this as my starter and the dmg feels so low so far

Yeah it felt low to me too, but when you'll got trigger socketed craft and lvl up ur vortex it goes up pretty well.
Hello, I started 3.9 with your build, and I'm enjoying. I have a few questions, hope you can help me out...
I'm level 75 ad this is my profile https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/KungFuCleave/characters
Currently sitting at 4k ÉS although it's still hard to get crafted daggers with proc for EE. Do you think I should drop the leveling maces, and get 1h wand + a shield cause I think I still die a lot... For the ideal of the build. I know it takes time and farm to get your gear status.... But I was hoping you can shed some light on how to get from 75 to 85 and transitioning to late game. Thanks in advance
IGN->KungFuCleave
Ahoy! I am running this build because I love trickster and have previously enjoyed cold dot occultist as a boss killer. It's a great build for the league mechanic.

I'm pretty unique heavy right now, but they will be piecemeal replaced by rares (Main Hand first into 'Trigger Socketed Spell' craft).

"

Rares are focused on energy shield and resists.

"

Feeling very strong as I enter yellow maps.
lvl 83, 5k Energy Shield, EE, CI.

PoB: https://pastebin.com/86Gs1M9C

Cheers!
Last edited by LMaxell on Dec 15, 2019, 11:58:22 AM
Hey, why is there so much emphasis on mana nodes and mana res? I'm only 4L vortex and coldsnap right now, but I'm not feeling very much strain on mana.
"
"
Jenova798 wrote:

Yeah it felt low to me too, but when you'll got trigger socketed craft and lvl up ur vortex it goes up pretty well.

I started the league with this build and the damage felt pretty insane! I was able to snag a 4L for both cold snap and vortex though pretty early. Once you get bonechill on cold snap things just feel smooth. I didn't feel a lack of damage at any point during leveling
"
Festesio wrote:
Hey, why is there so much emphasis on mana nodes and mana res? I'm only 4L vortex and coldsnap right now, but I'm not feeling very much strain on mana.

It's so you can fit Aspect of the Spider eventually. Also when you have an Auls Amulet aura effect nodes become extremely potent. Dont sweat it early on if you don't need it.

@everyone saying the damage is low...

Make sure you're using Cold Snap AND Vortex. Bonechill from CS is a big damage multiplier for Vortex. Once you have the trigger mod on your weapon and EE that'll be a big boost as well. You can also just manually cast storm brand to proc EE on tougher enemies if you so desire.
"
Festesio wrote:

Hello, I played this build the entirety of Legion (my characters are public the name is VorTexasSizedTenFour if you want to peek) and league started it in Blight. The main reason for the focus on mana and mana reservation on the tree is to allow the ability to run Grace/Malevolence, Discipline, and Aspect of the Spider. Early on when you're only running Grace/Mal and Discipline mana should not be a problem. I would probably hold off on the reservation nodes until you're ready to craft and run Aspect of the Spider. Mana becomes pretty tight when you have all 3 going. My aforementioned character has Mal, Discipline, and Aspect all linked to Enlighten 3 (Aspect is on my gloves where my gems are), 10% reduced reservation from tree nodes, and 1802 total mana with only 108 mana free. Also, don't forget that Arcane Will gives us a slight bit of energy shield from our total mana.

Regarding the posts about survivability early on, as with any CI build getting your energy shield to a comfortable level is paramount after capping your resists. My gear right now is absolute trash and I'm bopping along fine in white maps moving to yellow with about 4.8k shield and about 55% evade. A couple Metamorph bosses have dropped me fairly low, but none of the regular content has been a challenge so far. I'll usually see how far my terrible gear setup will take me, then upgrade incrementally when I start running into problems.

Regarding the low damage output posts, damage seems fairly on-par with my previous experiences with the build. Of course, boss damage seems low, but keep in mind that boss health was dramatically increased with the 3.9 patch. I'd say the first thing to focus on when trying to increase your damage is getting the Trigger a Socketed spell craft. I bought a wand with 32% cold dot multi and an open suffix for 1 alch, then found a reputable crafting service on the forums and got the craft done. The difference between having it and not having it is night and day.

Two major things that I think might really hurt the damage and survivability of the build are the loss of readily available Watcher's Eyes and Mark of the Shaper. A WE with es gained on hit was amazing to have for delving and general mapping, and Mark of the Shaper's Void Anomalies really helped with clear. These are both more mid-level upgrades not league start concerns, so I'm just going to keep plodding along until I hit a wall and am forced to decide whether or not to carry on.

Sorry for the book, but I really enjoyed this build in leagues past and think it deserves more attention than it seems to get. I hope it can overcome the (near) loss of a couple very helpful items, but still think it's great as a league starter in a boss-focused league, even if just to generate some currency to move on to something else.
Last edited by ILjXYZ on Dec 15, 2019, 3:21:30 PM
"
ILjXYZ wrote:
"
Festesio wrote:

Hello, I played this build the entirely of Legion (my characters are public the name is VorTexasSizedTenFour if you want to peek) and league started it in Blight. The main reason for the focus on mana and mana reservation on the tree is to allow the ability to run Grace/Malevolence, Discipline, and Aspect of the Spider. Early on when you're only running Grace/Mal and Discipline mana should not be a problem. I would probably hold off on the reservation nodes until you're ready to craft and run Aspect of the Spider. Mana becomes pretty tight when you have all 3 going. My aforementioned character has Mal, Discipline, and Aspect all linked to Enlighten 3 (Aspect is on my gloves where my gems are), 10% reduced reservation from tree nodes, and 1802 total mana with only 108 mana free. Also, don't forget that Arcane Will gives us a slight bit of energy shield from our total mana.

Regarding the posts about survivability early on, as with any CI build getting your energy shield to a comfortable level is paramount after capping your resists. My gear right now is absolute trash and I'm bopping along fine in white maps moving to yellow with about 4.8k shield and about 55% evade. A couple Metamorph bosses have dropped me fairly low, but none of the regular content has been a challenge so far. I'll usually see how far my terrible gear setup will take me, then upgrade incrementally when I start running into problems.

Regarding the low damage output posts, damage seems fairly on-par with my previous experiences with the build. Of course, boss damage seems low, but keep in mind that boss health was dramatically increased with the 3.9 patch. I'd say the first thing to focus on when trying to increase your damage is getting the Trigger a Socketed spell craft. I bought a wand with 32% cold dot multi and an open suffix for 1 alch, then found a reputable crafting service on the forums and got the craft done. The difference between having it and not having it is night and day.

Two major things that I think might really hurt the damage and survivability of the build are the loss of readily available Watcher's Eyes and Mark of the Shaper. A WE with es gained on hit was amazing to have for delving and general mapping, and Mark of the Shaper's Void Anomalies really helped with clear. These are both more mid-level upgrades not league start concerns, so I'm just going to keep plodding along until I hit a wall and am forced to decide whether or not to carry on.

Sorry for the book, but I really enjoyed this build in leagues past and think it deserves more attention than it seems to get. I hope it can overcome the (near) loss of a couple very helpful items, but still think it's great as a league starter in a boss-focused league, even if just to generate some currency to move on to something else.

Regarding the ES on hit WE, Fenumus Spinnerets do a really good impression of that jewel. You have to have Aspect of the Spider for it to work and the boot es is on the low end, but it's a fair trade off I'd say.

Thanks for the book though. I haven't played this one in league since 3.7 as I've been focusing on my VD Necromancer build (the one I'm playing), so I'm relying on the feedback of the players.

So a book is nice. ;)
I have a question about the CWDT gems, because the watchers eye is so fucking expensive, could we put another gems like immortal call or steelskin with increased duration instead ball lighting and purifying flame?

And because i dont have the energy leech from the watchers eye or the shield (shaper mod), would i need energy leech support gem in Vortex replacing another gem?
Last edited by hawok on Dec 16, 2019, 3:27:59 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info