Are you above or below average?

"
鬼殺し wrote:

Don't overthink it, B. I'm merely pointing out that neither of us are making a lickspittle bit of difference to the world, but are essentially harmless in our approach to survival.

All good, i just thought there was merit in being "just content" with a low impact life and that's not "pride".

Lot's of people seem to be focused on chasing the tail of happiness in this day and age, i took another route when i whitnessed people doing that is all.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
faerwin wrote:

Children lessons, really? Sport is almost free. piano and violin is just for your dumb ass ego at parties. "My child can play Piano." Guess what, no one fucking cares. Stop wasting your child time and your money on something that useless unless it's what the kid wants.

My nephew is learning guitar, you take that back faerwin!

As far as development goes i think learning the musical notes/language can be beneficial though.
It definetly gives you a mental structure that non-musical people can't tap in to.

Charan i think hit the mark.

One could say, they are living a life of excess. Gotta move up in the world and copy those beyond your means.
The world of mimicry.

Peace,

-Boem-
is your nephew learning guitar because he wants to or because the parents are forcing him to?

For piano and violin, it's almost always the parent forcing the child.
Build of the week #9 - Breaking your face with style http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_EcQDOUN9Y
IGN: Poltun
"
faerwin wrote:
is your nephew learning guitar because he wants to or because the parents are forcing him to?

For piano and violin, it's almost always the parent forcing the child.

Not sure where the chicken or egg is.

He's in the phase where he is trying out different hobby's so suggestions where made and he ended up going to a music language course and a guitar course.

Now he enjoys it but will quit music language next year and continue guitar.

He has a guitar made for his size, which is fucking brilliant when he came to me all proud and gloating. And i reckon learning the language get's dull after a bit and the prospect of learning to vocalize and sing didn't excite him.

Not forced but a suggestion he didn't contemplate i reckon?

I think it's a solid skill to develop at his age(7) which he can revisit when he is older if he wants to and from most of the things i read on that subject it does wire your brain differently in a positive way.

Peace,

-Boem-
"
Boem wrote:
"
鬼殺し wrote:

Don't overthink it, B. I'm merely pointing out that neither of us are making a lickspittle bit of difference to the world, but are essentially harmless in our approach to survival.

All good, i just thought there was merit in being "just content" with a low impact life and that's not "pride".

Lot's of people seem to be focused on chasing the tail of happiness in this day and age, i took another route when i whitnessed people doing that is all.

Peace,

-Boem-

Not that I know you but you seem very naive to believe that there is any virtue in humility. Humility is something that happens to you, it isn't something that you can proclaim for yourself. Humility means that you are on the verge of LOSING. You need to wake up, realize this, and compete.

Where did you even get this theory? Seems like a message you fell for as a child when you were watching cartoons or maybe when your teacher read you some book back in kindergarten.

Please observe nature more and you'll see that this theory you probably developed as a youth doesn't really apply when you face the world unprotected.

Lastly consider this: Status in this world simply means that you have the right to 'move excess to areas of deficits'. Doesn't that mean you gain the right to evoke justice? So how is your stategy for living going to bring any justice into the world. Or are you too humble to even aspire to do that?

Then there is the GENETIC WEALTH that you flush down the drain by squandering your own intelligence and energy in service of some vague idea that really isn't functional in any way except maybe it gives you more time to play PoE and I suppose Borderlands 3 once it comes out too.

I'm not saying pride is good. I'm not saying I've never been super confused in life and not knowing what to do with myself. Of course quite the contrary - and its from my own history of confusion that I say the things that I just said.
"
Aidos, in Greek mythology, was the daimona (goddess) of shyness, shame, and humility.[10] She was the quality that restrained human beings from wrong.

I like this, both the stick and the carrot in a single deity.

Humility to me just seems like knowing your place in the world, but i reckon that requires you develop truth towards yourself first so maybe it isn't as easy as it sounds for a lot of people?

If shame and humility are direct opposites in a duality structure then the active components are pride and mastery.

Pride would be the active component that knows, but refuses to aknowledge he did not know in the past and refuses to pass on.

Mastery would be the active component that knows, realises he was gifted a know and now passes it on.

The former deludes the integration process where the self is the main actor, identifying with it and becoming dependant on whatever it was he was taught.

Examples would be that pride is usually in relation to a non personal concept.
Pride of being a "insert proffesion" and the resulting shame if that concept is under attack.(losing your proffesion)

Welp, overthinking it again. It's good fun though.

Peace,

-Boem-
Above or below average of a very specific layered part of the entire population just doesn't have that sound bite qaulity.

Mandarin lessons makes me thing of farming lessons where people learn to plant oranges. I know it's not that, but it's rather amusing to assume that for a second given the rest of the context.

Peace,

-Boem-
So a kid may want to learn to play guitar out of their own free will, but piano must be forced by parents?

Well, my son tells me he wants to learn to play piano almost daily, and I certainly never forced him into that opinion. He wants to learn to play guitar too, btw.
"
Stefacle wrote:
So a kid may want to learn to play guitar out of their own free will, but piano must be forced by parents?

Well, my son tells me he wants to learn to play piano almost daily, and I certainly never forced him into that opinion. He wants to learn to play guitar too, btw.

He nuanced it by saying "it's almost always the parents forcing", but yeah i think it's a pretty unsubstantiated claim.

If you have the money for it and your child is choosing hobby's i assume they just do whatever you can afford and they like.

It's a statement without sufficient nuance and comes over as "those rich folks forcing their kid to do X".
I can only speak for myself and the people near me, but we all want the best for the children.(good intentions don't make things right, though, fuck ups obviously happen)

I wonder how many people faerwin knows that continuesly force their children to do something against their will.

Peace,

-Boem-
Mrs and I make about 85K between the 2 of us.
We have 2 teenagers and get along just fine.
We would be considered average I would think.
Charan put it best:
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Above or below average is a stupid way to frame this, since this is not an average situation at all.
~ Adapt, Improvise and Overcome

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info