Puncture

Puncture flattening is very nice. Makes it a solid pvp skill for my lvl 28 ranger.
Been browsing through this thread and cant find a couple of bits of info:

1) Just to be sure, the bonus damage per second while moving is an increase from 10% to 50% of the initial damage, as opposed to an extra 50% of the 10%. Judging from how much added damage I take while moving when inflicted by puncture, I'm assuming it is the former, but it never hurts to make sure.

2) Would mana/life leech support gems work with the DoT? I know it works with damage from poison arrow's DoT, but this might be considered different.
IGN: Iolar
"
BRavich wrote:
Been browsing through this thread and cant find a couple of bits of info:

1) Just to be sure, the bonus damage per second while moving is an increase from 10% to 50% of the initial damage, as opposed to an extra 50% of the 10%. Judging from how much added damage I take while moving when inflicted by puncture, I'm assuming it is the former, but it never hurts to make sure.

2) Would mana/life leech support gems work with the DoT? I know it works with damage from poison arrow's DoT, but this might be considered different.

yeah it might need clarification due to update changing the damage description.

1) for a lv 1 puncture, it will deal 10% of the physical hit per second PLUS 50% per second while foe is moving. so physical hit + (60% of hit * duration) = total damage while foe is moving.

2) this skill'd DoT does not trigger leech effects. also when did poison arrow's DoT ever did? leeching only happens on the literal hit.
Leech also works for explosive arrow's explosions.
IGN: Iolar
then i might be wrong on that part... but doesn't make sense for poison arrow or puncture to leech from the DoT part...
DoT cannot ever apply leech.
The additional damage while moving is additional damage, and is described as such on the gem and skill (unless something's been broken, but the gem linked earlier in the thread still has that for me). You're always taking the base 10% DoT, and while moving you're taking the additional 50%, for a total of 60%.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Nov 6, 2012, 5:15:19 PM
I was discussing this in game...and why can't this skill work with 2h swords.

I have several reasons why it could and should...

-2h swords have sharp points too
-2h swords are lacking compared to the other weapons.
-Puncture is a pretty niche skill currently, but it could get more useful (yet in a balanced way) if it worked with 2h swords.
I'm trying to utilize this skill on my first character.. was looking at something simple to get used to the game mechanics.

I don't have any auras or curses yet (level 28 ranger) but I thought it might be effective to use puncture with LMP with point blank passive and then just go for physical dmg + crit passives/gear.

I don't think I have enough crit currently for it to be too effective but I can see it chewing through packs of mobs if I get some pierce.
Skill seems to be lacking something.

Quality
is doing nothing since AFAIK the puncture effects do not stack and it won't matter so long as hitting the same target(s), the DoT just resets.
Suggestion:
Change the duration bonus to extra Phys damage please, same % seems okay (17% Quality = +25%)
-or-
Let multiple Punctures stack. Let's just assume the next strike or shot will hit at a different body location. 3 Bleeds max or someting like that.

Mechanics-wise:
Puncture, if that's supposed to make targets bleed (open wounds etc.), then Undead should not be affected by this (points to AD&D rules and the like).
I know this would kill Puncture for most ppl, but it doesn't feel and look right atm, skeletons chasing me with a red fountain of blood.

Overall I still find myself using LA over Puncture most of the time.
Lightning damage can shock, for extra damage and Leech only works on Puncture's upfront damage, so that's another big minus here as compared to LA.

Has it been discussed to have Puncture as a support gem?
To me this would make it much more versatile and useful, since Puncture's damage and functionality is so-so atm
---
This of course still subject to change as I level up my lv 30 bow ranger.
If you're leaving PoE, chances are I'll rezz you as my minion! MWHAHAHAH
Last edited by Mune on Dec 16, 2012, 4:47:48 PM
I see no problem with punctures quality compared to, say, Burning Arrows Quality.
For a Dot Build, it's great.
Though having *something* that grants additional ranged phys damage would obviously be welcome.
Zaanus:
Global chat: Mechanics for A work one way, B for another, C for a third but also with A, B uses C but not A, and D uses A&B but not C

___
Isn't a "no" better than an ignore?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info