Bestiary as a Core Game Mechanic

thank goodness!
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
Good move IMO, not to force it down people's throats through the backlash.

The main problems were IMO:

- The catching mechanic kinda interferes with how PoE is played atm
- UI. Recipes require specific beasts but information can be limited.
- Recipes. Too much clutter, and the certain recipes requiring "rarer" mobs to balance them made stuff super hard to recognise (example: 1 exalt Lv 80 Octopus vs 15c Lv 70 Cephalopod because you don't unlock the Harbinger Orb recipe beforehand). HIDDEN RECIPES too.
- Power level of the red beasts during levelling is insane. Probably scared some new players off with how crazy they are.

What about the 30% quality recipe, White socket recipe and Farrul's Fur etc? Cause now those are in the game...

Also, between the nerfed quantity and Exalt prices, mapping has been a terrible experience this league. Maps to drop more maps when there were Harbinger Orbs this league :s
Last edited by Hanarae on May 7, 2018, 11:22:05 PM
thank you. i didn't expect that ggg would abandon that dumpster fire of a league since so many resources went into it.

what i would put in the core game at some point is:

- the new uniques (dont need to be able to craft aspects)
- the boss encounters (maybe red bestiary monsters have a tiny chance to drop a fragment to put in the map device)
- the new monster mods (always good to have differently behaving monsters. make them like bloodlines to randomly appear). no monster capture, they are just cannon fodder
Last edited by dachoppa on May 7, 2018, 11:16:54 PM
fair play.

it was too bloated, I said that the minute I saw a detailed preview of the league with nets being items, tiers of nets, yet another set of crafting... quite a few people said this right away.

Personally I think its cool you try stuff, not everything is gonna stick, not everyone is gonna like every league, there will always be a number of people who hate literally anything added to the game, cant please em all. I can only speak for myself but I hope you guys keep the design space wide open, keep doing what you do, most of what comes out is awesome.

I feel like given the depth and complexity of the current game, given its a fairly bloated affair already after all these years of additions its probably wise to review designs with a reductive mindset, how can we shrink this without losing whats key, what exactly is key here and what is bloat? What is the game lacking? What do we already have enough of? what can we always accommodate more of?

some rambling thoughts on the existing bloat in the game...

Spoiler

I cant speak for everyone, but I would be more than happy to see old leagues revisited, dug up, reevaluated, rebalanced, polished up. On reflection torment seems like a wasted opportunity, the mobs the ghosts tag dont drop stuff specific to the ghost, doesnt seem like the different ghosts mean anything different its just a ghost and you just get more of the same crap you get killing mobs anyway. Prophecy is now horrendously weighed down with backtracking bullshit to the point of being a complete chore with questionable worth in reward, its like a miserably tedious waste of our time that we are invited to engage in for a lottery chance payout that feels unlikely to ever really come. Rogue exiles feel weak, they have no hp, their fights just feel like any old rare mob because they instantly die, the reward in items no longer matters because of too much item bloat, anarchy needs reexamined and made impactful again.

Rewards across the board that simply consist of more drops, be that exiles, bosses, chests, ghosts... theyre not working because youre dropping way too many items to the point where items are meaningless. So much crap drops that your game isnt even playable without a loot filter, its literally unplayable, my computer has to calculate 100s upon 100s of items on the floor, their models, skins, how light hits them, the whole works, and if I was to see the text of them I couldnt even play the game because my screen would just be words, the entire thing, I couldnt even see the game under the mountain of shit that drops. When a lot of currency drops its universally fun, when you drop a lot of white, blue, yellow and orange gear it all stops being worth anything and ppl stop even picking it up. Orbs are so rare and items so plentiful that the amount of orbs people are willing to pay for the items vs what an orb can do is so fucked up that bothering to pick up items feels more and more like a self found game mode tactic as we go on. tbh it feels to me like the game is balanced around self found now and from a trade game perspective the game is completely fucked, economies go into meltdown with item saturation within a couple of weeks. You still think this is a trade game? If so you need to rethink how little currency we have to trade with and how worthless all the items are because your flooding the game with div cards and item drop rates.

You say things like "we want 6 links to be more common" yet you dont increase fusing drop rates or adjust fusing chances, you just bypass the existing systems in your game and push div card drop rates to the point where a 6L is worth 33 chaos, while you still have a bench 6L worth 1500 fusing and a by hand 1200 fusing, meanwhile you expect us to trade items for 1 fusing each because you are dropping items like candy and not dropping enough currency to keep them worth selling vs what someone has to offer. Where is the design sense? What is a 6L worth in your minds? 33 chaos or 1500 fusing? You dont even know do you? All ur thinking is what can we add next to bring in new players and sell them mtx right? The game is full of examples like this, an idea from 5 years ago, an idea from 2 years ago, neither is compatible, both existing does not make sense, this reward made sense then it doesnt now, that mechanic was weighted again this mechanic that has now been undercut and rendered redundant by this addition that came later...

I feel like theres a lot of stuff in the game that could do with someone looking back over and actually fixing up. Its a mess, and you just keep adding more stuff on top, you seem to refuse to actual evaluate what is here and make the needed changes, you seem to think the only way to survive is to add more and more and more... Do you ever consider you are losing people by not addressing whats already here and making sense of it? That bringing a new person here is fine today but when he doesnt stay for tomorrow because your game at this point is a giant bloated garbage heap of confused bullshit that you arnt actually winning the war against decay? People staying is as valuable as new people coming.
I'm really disapointed, mostly because I like these kind of things being added to the game as it expands what you can do in it :> Even if you can some times get insane maps like.

1 or 2 breaches, 3 abyss, zana and so on all at once like I did during abyss league heh.
thats why i play this game
I was really hoping the boss fights would stay in the game (and their sets) in some form. Maybe rare farric mobs turn up very rarely in maps and drop a map item to access the bosses directly. Oh well, fingers crossed we dont lose the sets forever.

IGN: Starlight_Seraphim
So now PoE is all about the meta slaves who can't do anything but go fast all the time.
This league could've been a major turning point in the "clear-speed" meta but instead GGG decides to listens to the brainless crybabies c´who can't even stop for half a second, cast a simple net and then continue. But GGGs' Reddit god spoke and they acted.

Bestiary was a great league with good mechanics, and while it had some problems on day 1, you quickly fixed those. Now you're just throwing all of it away?

The most loved leagues didn't have any mechanics at all so is that how every league will be from now on? Just add a bunch of reskinned white trash so retarded people can have more free loot? In that case, why not just give everyone a +100% Item quantity boost and tell them to fck of to standard, so that those of us who actually appreciates decent and interesting mechanics can stick to leagues.

Makes absolutely no sense to not retain bestiary except to please brainless meta slaves

Disgusted how GGG favours whiny btches over poeple enjoying actual gameplay
Last edited by NotYourMom on May 7, 2018, 11:27:40 PM
"
It's a shame, but oh well. Mighty subreddit has spoken. We shall not have fun in the form of actual challenging content that isn't endgame. I hope they will enjoy chaining their T2/T3 maps. Lol.
Actually, Reddit loves bestiary. In this case it was the silent majority that didn't.
I liked bestiary, but it sure seems a lot of work to keep just one part of the game functional.
Great job guys, keep up the good work!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info