[3.15] Fivers Frost Blades Raider (Outdated)

"
InsaneX3 wrote:
Do you recommend this build this league as a starter build? Many items seems to be way more expensive now.

Like Dumptruckzzz says, it is definitely a viable starter and you can get pretty far on a decent budget.
First priority is to get darkray vector's, a bloodseeker/wasp's nest/Touch of Anguish, and a Starkonja's helmet. All of these are very cheap.
Then you go for a cheap 6L STR/DEX hybrid armour that you can buy just a white base, then you use pristine fossils until you get a decent life roll on it. That's good enough for most content, and it's pretty cheap.
After that your main goal should be to get all the cheap required items.
The flasks are all cheap and very important.
Tombfist is a good option to Shaper's Touch now that they are expensive. Mark of the Elder is still quite expensive, but it's dropping every day. A shaped Assassin's mark ring isn't first priority, but getting a shaped ring together with MotE is obviously something you should get as soon as you buy MotE.

But I want to put it out there, that this build, and many other melee builds have taken a hit from the nerfs to Maim on body armour being removed, but even more so by the crafting changes. So it is harder to gear it this league than it was last league.

Don't panic.
"
CrimsonWoe wrote:
I'm also interested in this build but kind of nervous as to how it will preform as a league starter with items being so much more difficult to get.

I've replied to some other regarding this, but the changes to multimodding, the atlas, and maim being removed on body armours, are all very bad. It is definitely harder to gear it this league.
That being said, I used it as league starter and cleared T14-T15's on a less than 1EX budget.

Some metamorph's can be really hard though. So far I've faced 4-5 metamorphs that I wasn't able to kill.

Don't panic.
Last edited by Fiver on Dec 22, 2019, 9:23:25 AM
"
Sykatix wrote:
Last pastebin link died.

https://pastebin.com/3BefSGDV

My character feels like it's struggling pretty hard hp wise and single target wise.

Make sure that your PoB is updated to the latest version. Usually the problem is that PoB isn't updated. You have a button on the lower left side of the PoB windo that says "check for update". It should check for updates automatically though.
But you need to install them yourself by clicking the install button when you have an update ready.

I commented on your pastebin in a previous post, so check that one. :)

Don't panic.
"
IdoA wrote:
Hi fiver, i saw that you are going for claws of the falcon node instead of anoint. now my guess its only temporaly untill you can afford anoint is that right or you changed the tree abit?

This is something that I've been considering changing in the actual build PoB and it is something that you can do insted of going for Primeval Force. It is 1 point more that you spend, that you have to get from somewhere else, but it might be worth it. Not only does it give more damage, but also some intelligence on the way.
So this is definitely something you can do instead of annointing it.

Don't panic.
"
lunaticwoda wrote:
Curious unless im missing something why grab the onslaught stuff for the last ascend?

I'm not sure what you mean. If you're asking why we're getting Avatar of the Chase, it's because it gives a lot of damage and also defense since it gives us 30% more chance to evade melee/projectile attacks.
You can go for Avatar of the Chase if you prefer, and it has it's advantages, but you get slightly lower damage from doing that, and you are more vulnerable to attacks.
You get a bit of spell dodge and ailment immunity though, so it's still good.

Don't panic.
"
bipsylalapo wrote:
In my current setup, I use FB - EDWAS - multistrike - added cold damage - ice bite - ruthless, which provide me much better dps than the recommended FB - EDWAS - multistrike - hypothermia - rage/berserk - melee phys damage as well as making it much easier to get only 3 off-colors.

I am pretty sure considering the fact that your guide has been around for a long time, this must have come up at some point but is there any reason why my skill gems would be suboptimal?

Gear-wise, I am still much in need of upgrades to my claw, rings (for the mark of the elder + assassin's mark combo), gloves and amulet so by no means do I have a good endgame build that would best be representative of your build but money's hard to come by so far.

Thanks in advance for your answer

Previously I did use a similiar setup. I had FB-EDWAS-Multistrike-IceBite-Hypothermia-Ancestral call/Ruthless.
But since Rage and Berserk was introduced, then Ice Bite had to make way for it.
Rage on it's own gives a lot of damage when you get some stacks, but more importantly, Berserk is arguably the best source of melee burst damage in the game.
This is why Ice Bite was scrapped. So Ice Bite isn't bad, but you're missing out on incredible damage if you choose to replace Rage and Berserk.
Getting the off-colours can be hard sometimes but there are a few tricks you can do. I made a video a while back about this.

And yeah, gearing this league is harder than previously. Some of the changes they made, the worst one being the crafting-changes has definitely resulted in a big nerf to a LOT of melee builds (and despite gutting the multimod to oblivion, they didn't even lower the cost). As if that was needed. I'm quite upset about this one.

Don't panic.
"
InsaneX3 wrote:
In the Budget item list, it doesn't have anywhere near the required amount of STR needed (64 with 121 being required). Also, it has very little HP because of the amount of uniques being used. Can you take another look at it? Not sure what to change.

This is because even though you can have multiple gear sets in PoB, you can't have multiple skill-sets in any good way. So for the purpose of showing the build the way it's supposed to look after some investment, the gems are all level 20, which they should be eventually.
When you are leveling and gearing up, and encounter STR issues, I recommend not leveling all your STR gems fully. Ancestral Protector/Warchief and Berserk can be kept on a slightly lower level for a while, until you can afford to raise them. You can take +30 STR nodes to make this easier. Same goes for INT.
Don't level Frost Bomb above level 10.

When you get a Lethal Pride jewel, you will no longer have any issues with strength, and you will be able to use all the gems at their max level.

As for the life part, your gear is actually pretty decent in that respect, but you are still pretty early into the leveling phase, and still have a lot of health nodes to grab. You should move towards Assassination (and pass Blood Siphon on the way), and also grab Resourcefulness.
You obviously want to grab Claws of the Magpie as well, but I would try to get Revenge of the Hunted pretty soon after the other two. It's a seriously underestimated node. It gives you both life/damage/resist.
Also, remember that you do get a bit of life with every level, and you still have a lot of levels to go.

Don't panic.
Last edited by Fiver on Dec 22, 2019, 9:45:39 AM
My attempt at this build is not going great but man it is a ton of fun, it's a shame the changes this league made it so much harder for builds like this, but oh well. Even with my garbage gear I'm easily clearing yellow maps ridiculously fast, or atleast ridiculously fast compared to my necro. Really enjoying it so far.
"
MrdrFckr wrote:
My attempt at this build is not going great but man it is a ton of fun, it's a shame the changes this league made it so much harder for builds like this, but oh well. Even with my garbage gear I'm easily clearing yellow maps ridiculously fast, or atleast ridiculously fast compared to my necro. Really enjoying it so far.

Yeah this league has been a lot harder than previous leagues after all the nerfs. I've never been one to jump on the bandwagon about GGG hating melee, but after the changes this league, I'm kinda disappointed.
Don't hesitate to ask for help. You're still only at level 74, and the build doesn't really start to shine until at least 80+.

I can give you some pointers that would help you out though. You should get all the flasks. A Diamond Flask, Lion's Roar, Atziri's Promise are all easy to get and costs little-to-nothing.
The 4th should be a taste of hate, wise oak, or just a sulphur flask.
Then a life flask as well of course.
Ideally you want bleed removal on the life flask, and freeze immunity on the diamond flask.

Get a pair of Tombfist gloves. Hrimsorrow is alright when you're leveling for the extra damage, but at this point you can swap to Tombfist/Shaper's Touch. Shaper's Touch are usually the better option, but they are expensive this league which kinda sucks. They are dropping in price though.
I'd recommend Tombfist for now, with a Murderous Eye Jewel in them, for the intimidate.

You have all the right gems in your Frost Blades setup, but you should really get Berserk. One of the main reasons why we use Rage in the FB-setup is so we can use that skill. It's an insane burst damage you get from it.

You are obviously still leveling and working on your gear and everything, but I'd recommend that you try to focus on getting more life on your rares, when you swap them. All of them have low life rolls.

There are some changes in the passive tree that I'd recommend.
You should get rid of Primeval Force for now, and use those points to move towards Blood Siphon and then move onwards to Assassination for your next couple of levels. Primeval Force is great, but I wouldn't prioritize that one over the other damage passives. It may even be worth skipping it altogether and go for Claws of the Falcon instead. This gives you some int, and also slightly more damage, but it costs 1 more passive point. This is something that I plan on changing in the build for the next PoB draft. I think that path is better.

If you have all your trials taken care of, the last ascendancy is a big deal. I can help you out with lab if you have a hard time doing it yourself (I won't be playing today or tomorrow though).

Don't panic.
Hi Fiver, thanks for the build. It's very fun to play and i was looking something like that for some time.

Could you please take a look on my gear and propose fisrt thing which needs to be changed? Unforunately i do not have much currency so 3ex purchases are limited :D On what should i focus now? Thanks in advance !

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info