[3.16][HC][ON BREAK] Caustic Arrow Raider, DoT Focused | Tanky | 6k+ Health | All Content | In-depth

"
Neepacus wrote:
Wish there was a way to search within a thread on the PoE site but here is a question I am sure has been answered. Any objections to using Aspect of Spider instead of Crab on boots? Would this boost the damage of the Caustic Arrow pools?
Yes, it works to increase damage, but it takes time to stack to 3 and has basically the effectiveness of skitterbots. You can try running with skitterbots and check if you notice difference in damage before committing to the craft - because you can't use 2 aspects and crab is there to cover the biggest weakness of evasion builds that is no armor = no phys reduction. If you play softcore and don't mind sacrificing good defensive for small dps gain, that's your pick.

Keep in mind 15% inc damage taken by mob (spider or skitters) isn't 15% more damage because it stacks / has diminishing returns with wither and the inc damage part of despair. So it's like gaining 2.5 extra wither stacks at best...
I'm pretty new with this build. Noob question.

I see a quiver in trade as next:

(Implicit) Arrows Pierce an additional Target
Adds 1 to 2 Cold Damage to Attacks
+72 to maximum Life
Bow Attacks fire an additional Arrow
44% increased Projectile Speed

A free suffix so I can craft a resistance.

It costs 1 ex. Can I craft a similar or better quiver for less than 1 ex? I don't have lot of money right now (actually I have a like 1.5 ex total atm) so I don't want to spend a lot if I can craft it myself. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by FedeS on Apr 23, 2021, 8:51:17 PM
"
Neepacus wrote:
Wish there was a way to search within a thread on the PoE site but here is a question I am sure has been answered. Any objections to using Aspect of Spider instead of Crab on boots? Would this boost the damage of the Caustic Arrow pools?

Yeah I wish they had a "Search thread" option, but just as a tip you can do with this Google by using the "site" command; such as, the following will search this thread for the word "crab": Google search link

"
FedeS wrote:
Spoiler

+72 to maximum Life

A free suffix so I can craft a resistance.

It costs 1 ex. Can I craft a similar or better quiver for less than 1 ex? I don't have lot of money right now (actually I have a like 1.5 ex total atm) so I don't want to spend a lot if I can craft it myself. Thanks in advance.

Not worth the price in my opinion. Would rather just have a +50~ HP, 70~% total resist, +% chaos dot multi quiver for under 10c. Alternatively you could buy a cheap good ilvl hunter-base Penetrating Arrow Quiver and alt/aug spam it until you get two of the three "good" mods, then regal (and repeat with a scour if the regal is poor). There's more information on that in the crafting section in the original post.
Another question meaning I don't probably understand some basics of the game but, do +%projectile damage help CA (this build's core) any way? Thinking of respecing the passives around Fury Bolts so I could pick Deadly Draw and the other one next to it (just right of Fury Bolts) and the 2 dex nodes needed to get up to the rest part of the tree. Losing the 54% increased projectile damage but getting 30% increased physical damage and +45% DoT with bow skills, which is key, if I am right.

And similar one: does +%physical damage help? I had the thought that the physical damage you can do is converted into chaos damage for CA (the "60% physical damage converted to chaos damage" in CA spelling), but guess its pretty neglectable when compared to more than 2000 base chaos DPS in spelling too. Guess they both are added together?

Kinda confused now that I am trying to optimize the tree

If someone could explain to me the damage generation, to say so, mechanics in CA, it would be fantastic for me.

Thx in advance.
"
gansus wrote:
Another question meaning I don't probably understand some basics of the game but, do +%projectile damage help CA (this build's core) any way?

Yes, it increases the damage as Caustic Arrow is a projectile.

A quick and easy way to understand what scales a skill is to look at the gem itself. At the top of the Caustic Arrow gem it'll state: "Attack, Projectile, AoE, Duration, Chaos, Bow", so nearly any stat that affects those will improve CA. This includes:

+x% Projectile Damage (as it's got 'Projectile')
+x% Area Damage (as it's got 'AoE')
+x% Chaos Damage (as it's got 'Chaos')
+x% increase <element> damage with Attack Skills (as it's got 'Attack')

and so forth. A quick note on the last one though, if the element in was "fire" then it won't help us as we don't deal any fire damage, so you'd need the element to be "chaos" (such as Toxic Strikes on the skill tree).

"
gansus wrote:
And similar one: does +%physical damage help? I had the thought that the physical damage you can do is converted into chaos damage for CA (the "60% physical damage converted to chaos damage" in CA spelling), but guess its pretty neglectable when compared to more than 2000 base chaos DPS in spelling too. Guess they both are added together?

It does help, but it's extremely minor as we do very little in the way of raw physical damage, so next to nothing is being converted.
Weird, added Craiceann to my bestiary but the aspect of the crab crafting option still doesnt appear, is there anyone got the problem like me?
"
FedeS wrote:

+72 to maximum Life
If you're lacking currency I wouldn't pay 1ex for +1 arrow, it's just a QoL for faster map clear but not mandatory contrary to let's say scourge arrow where you'd lose dps by not having the +1 arrow.

"
gansus wrote:
Another question meaning I don't probably understand some basics of the game but, do +%projectile damage help CA (this build's core) any way?
Yes.
If you read the gem description it says "Modifiers to Projectile Damage apply to this Skill's Damage Over Time effect"

"
gansus wrote:
Thinking of respecing the passives around Fury Bolts so I could pick Deadly Draw and the other one next to it (just right of Fury Bolts) and the 2 dex nodes needed to get up to the rest part of the tree. Losing the 54% increased projectile damage but getting 30% increased physical damage and +45% DoT with bow skills, which is key, if I am right.
Fury bolts is only good if you need to meet strength requirements, otherwise it's a pretty mediocre node. Deadly Draw / Heavy Draw are pretty good since they increase aoe of the skill a bit as well.

Keep in mind 20% increased projectile damage and 20% increased damage over time and 20% increased chaos damage is basically the same thing, it's interchangeable.

"
gansus wrote:
And similar one: does +%physical damage help?
Nope. It only buffs the initial arrow not the ground dot. It's absolutely useless. The arrow damage is not added to the dot in any form, it's as if the cloud explosion was a payload attached to the arrow but functioning separately from it. The arrow doesn't even need to hit anything, you can shoot it into the ground and it will still spawn the caustic ground.

"
gansus wrote:
If someone could explain to me the damage generation, to say so, mechanics in CA, it would be fantastic for me.
It has the base damage on the gem per level, from wiki:

This is the only damage that matters and scales with various mods. Anything that is related to bow damage only impacts initial arrow which tbh does nothing, it just transports the skill to its impact point.
So basically when a passive / cluster node / gear stat says "with bows / with attacks / attack damage / adds damage to attack" it does nothing.

You need mods that say "with bow skills", "with attack skills", projectile / chaos / over time damage (increased or multiplier).

If you ever played essence drain, this scales in a similar way just replace "spell damage" (doesn't apply to CA) with "projectile damage". Spell damage or attack damage doesn't do anything for CA (sad cuz can't abuse berserk or iron grip or anything).

This also means gripped gloves do nothing because they have "projectile attack damage" in name (it needs to not have attack), use the new apothecary gloves instead.

"
MrShika13 wrote:
Weird, added Craiceann to my bestiary but the aspect of the crab crafting option still doesnt appear, is there anyone got the problem like me?
Do you have enough yellow beasts to perform the craft? I imagine you tried the simple things like reload the area or check if item has open suffix.
"
Zarasi wrote:
Not worth the price in my opinion. Would rather just have a +50~ HP, 70~% total resist, +% chaos dot multi quiver for under 10c. Alternatively you could buy a cheap good ilvl hunter-base Penetrating Arrow Quiver and alt/aug spam it until you get two of the three "good" mods, then regal (and repeat with a scour if the regal is poor). There's more information on that in the crafting section in the original post.

"
Viktranka wrote:
If you're lacking currency I wouldn't pay 1ex for +1 arrow, it's just a QoL for faster map clear but not mandatory contrary to let's say scourge arrow where you'd lose dps by not having the +1 arrow.

Thanks for your input guys. I finally bought it, mostly because convenience. I liked it because the high proj speed QoL and extra arrow/pierce. Ofc will look for a better one with dmg in the future.

Anyway, I see little difference in the "area" with 1 arrow or 2 arrow. The arrows fire very close to each other. Maybe 3 arrows makes the difference?
Last edited by FedeS on Apr 24, 2021, 6:21:43 PM
Update: I bought a bow with all my money left xD
But I'm pretty happy with it, +1 arrow, +3 gem levels and 35% chaos dot multiplier. I paid 290 chaos (I know I know maybe I overpaid but it is what it is xD). So now I shot 3 arrows! And I got rid of Conc. effect for Dmg on full life so my area is pretty cool and have better damage.

Spoiler
And this is the quiver I bought earlier for 1 ex
Last edited by FedeS on Apr 24, 2021, 11:11:20 PM
Thx a lot for the answers to previous questions.

One more, please: what about Tenacity node?? 5% more life is just ok but what about "Transfiguration of the body it includes". Is states: "Increases and reductions to maximum life also apply to attack damage at 30% its value".

CA is an attack, but not sure whether its damage would be affected by the bonus. Tbh, i guess it would not because it would have been highly recommended in that case

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info