Balance Changes to Chill, Shock, and Charges

Mortrau - cool idea to have some crit on PC and an extra mana and/or es regen for non crit users or smth like that.

hey i am doing glass cannon ranger that really needs that 3 power charges and 5 green charges as every bit of dps matters that they die first before i do

please don't shaft me ggg.

i assume spell casters are strong already as it is. they don't need buffs

and i assume this game is suppposed to be
diverse and choice oriented

as in if i don't prefer spellcaster i don't have to play it to also have a high crit, as high crit shouldn't be reserved for spellcasters, and even any random mmorpg will tell you that it is not reserved for int class or mage class, it is just wrong that poe can go backward even further than old mmorpgs.
Last edited by lyrilljackson on Aug 1, 2017, 7:42:29 AM
Really sad with the Treshold jewels vendor removal. Most of them are useless vendor trash messing up the loot table. It would be nice to at least have a separate loot table for treshold jewels, since they were added, finding other unique jewels is painful.
Chill and shock seem a lot more reasonable than their initial change, and the removal of vendor makes sense.
As for charges, i think it's good that this one will take some more time in development, because while it's clear that you want to have every type of charges be on about equal level of demand, the changes themselves were somewhat confusing.
So yeah, cool stuff IMO.
Sounds good, i guess.
Quit after Legion, rejoined PoE to see what the game's like now in 3.12.
Last edited by Paldamus on Aug 1, 2017, 7:12:31 AM
This charge change is even worse, if that's even possible. Power charges are now almost never worth taking. They are baseline 20% crit chance nodes (since they always take 2 points to get) and Frenzy charges are dominantly powerful.

The changes to charges is ... not very well thought out, honestly.
To be specific: Power charges are all but useless to attack based builds and frenzy all but useless for spellcasters. With the new 30% (40%) critical chance modifier it's pointless to invest in them unless your skill path just happens to pass them (2 point investment). No sense whatsoever in chasing half way around the tree to get them as a vital aspect of a build.

The threshold jewel vender was nice to see, but it points at a greater problem with the quest reward system.

IT SUCKS

If it's not a skill point or respec point the rewards for pretty much every quest are entirely pointless. If it's a normal drop, take it the F* away from quest rewards.
The unique jewels and the new threshold jewel rewards fit - the first were never drops and the second are rather very rare drops. I can accept that. Now something new is needed:

Instead of offering a pair of boots/gloves, whatever (which are invariably absolute trash not worth carting across the screen to the vendor), offer a single unit of non-tradeable currency. It has one purpose: to four-link a piece of armor. It can not be traded (so you may need a single tab of non-trade items that that character alone can access - for storing these items, and quest items) but can be of immense value (worth bothering with the quest) as opposed to something tossed in the nearest dumpster.
Or make them tradable... IDK.

-- OR --

Ensure that quest rewards
A - have better rolls and overall better available buffs than normal drops for the level.
and
B - have unique modifiers (suffix, which can be scoured) that align with the 'history' of the NPC offering them.
Patch Notes 3.15:
Fixed a bug where players believed the game was playable. This has been corrected and made retroactive.
Patch Notes 3.19:
Fixed a bug where players adapted to 3.15. This bug cannot be corrected, so we have implemented a 90% reduction in item access as a punishment.
This version of shock/chill is better. Still, while it makes them more easily applied onto bosses it still quite hard for builds with fast but small hits even though the total amount of DPS can be much higher than one single big hit. Maybe a stacking mechanic would do it? Make the chill/shock based on the accumulated damage over the last 0.5-1s?
Im really happy with the chill and shock rebalance in these patch notes, im also happy about not classifying charges based on their class. im not so happy about the threshold jewel vendor being removed in 3.0 i thought it was a really nice addition to the game and removed some PAINFUL trade interactions, its a pity to see it go.
Cool, just a one little thing
"
need to deal 10% of a target's life to gain a maximum effect shock

I suspect this is changed for chill as well? Its not written there tho.
Last edited by Nathaniell123 on Aug 1, 2017, 7:35:37 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info