Energy Shield and Life

So, people with lots of challenges completed think this goes too far and are pointing out that this makes ES inherently incapable of dealing with a whole host of game mechanics.

People who apparently haven't killed Uber Izaro this league think it's a great change.

Three cheers for the Handicapper General I guess - but this sort of massive fundamental change to core systems (and at an all time popularity peak) is too similar to the kind of WotLK->Cataclysm inflection point for me to be entirely sanguine.

The fact the person in charge of game balance apparently has absolutely no idea what sort of ES levels the typical player who is killing Shaper achieves in his live game (being out by a factor of two) is a pretty good demonstration that GGG has succumbed to the same degree of disconnect that creeps into every Indie studio when they upscale, which is a pity.
Not being salty, but who the fuck invited the Blizzard devs to the balance team? This is overkill, why not just remove ES from the game?

Why couldn't you just buff life instead of making ES pure garbage
I am the world's best path of exile player, I strong I kill all monster with amazing power
Ouch they certainly over did the ES nerf. They should have implemented diminshing returns on ES rather than nerf it across the board by 33%, low and middle class ES players are going to be drastically hurting.

Not everyone can afford 30ex 15k ES builds let alone really crappy 25k ES builds that abuse double dipping to hell to get the measly damage output that they're running.

Nerf vinktars before ES.
"
verminoth wrote:
When you say things like 15k es as a standard for "well-geared" characters, I can only think that you don't pay attention to most of your playerbase who have never reached that level.

The fact you think 25k es is today's standard for well geared characters is also wrong.

What kind of a person do you have doing the statistical analysis of your playerbase here or is this made up numbers like I think it is?

If most of your playerbase doesn't reach these high levels of ES, you don't nerf ES to "balance" the game because for most people they don't even reach that power level.

Stop basing your balance decisions on the 1% of people who have 40 challenges and have killed Uber themselves.

If they are basing it on the 1% then most people have high es

Also if the other 99% never reach 25k who cares if they nerf it? it will only hurt the people who can reach it thus doing what they are wanting to do in the first place
"
people that managed to reach 10k es on howa ci are super lucky, im interested to see how will that same howa work with 6k es after nerf
"
If you want to see what 16K es looks like, take a look at my character DayOneCrashesHYPE. It's not pretty and has 9.8k tooltip glacial cascade in a 6-link. I don't have GG gear, but it cost me around about 20c to gear it back in Prophecy.

"
i dont need to see any character of urs. i know how can u build 25k es easy. But that will kill dps and make u crawl.We are talking about balance dps/es. Not ephemeral edge 50% es CI character with 25k es-no dps

On a lvl 90 ish character you can hit 12k es with very mediocre items using 2x HoWA. Im talking 2-3ex worth of gear overall. Atm not even that much currency invested into it. Just by getting 1k int is 500 flat es. Then you can start multiply.

I personally dont know what to think about the vaal pact change, but the lower es values at top tier mods are very nice. The fact that lower mod tiers of es are getting higher also means that more people will be able to play CI with less currency investment, which is a + to me. But then again, the vaal pact.

Overall verdict, happy and excited to see how it really is, when beta hits.
Last edited by Brages89 on May 17, 2017, 9:19:36 PM
Overzealous nerfing is half the reason I stopped playing this game. Diablo 3 has literally seen more playtime from me in the last 2 months.
I am the world's best path of exile player, I strong I kill all monster with amazing power
THIS BUTCHERY

YOU NERFED EVERY SINGLE ASPECT OF ES
"
Exile009 wrote:
"
RestlnPeace wrote:
"
dephness wrote:
all the people who find this bad, play ONLY ES because its so rediculas op. Get good at the game kiddos.

no more 25k es facetanking all content thinking you're good.

show me that 25 es face tank build stop lie you dont even play this game

Here's one of the earliest ones for ya - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/916630

And there've been several more in more recent times. It's certainly not the norm (which was around 8-12k ES), but it is feasible. Now the norm should be 6-10k ES. For life, the norm was 4-6k and now should be 5-7k thanks to the life rolls change. So they're much closer now, while ES retains its edge as compensation for all the downsides it has (stun, freeze and now Vaal Pact).

Also remember that this is for a Beta, so the final values will be different from those on here.

Gear of the build you linked:
Chest 941 es
Shield 600 es
Helmet 437 es
Gloves 280 es
Boots 306 es
Good luck gathering 500 ex for your average build.

7k es or 7k life is worthless if they don't change how volatile's dps is calculated.
I have been oneshot in tough maps with 11k+ es.
Es needed to go down,life needs to go up. Flat rolls they added on armors are a joke.
So what are the possible alternatives to handling high elemental damage spells from bosses like The Shaper who do 6k after capped res with Life. I can only get to 6-7k life at 200% on the tree and full T1 strength and maximum life rares. Especially on the ranger side of the tree where getting 200% life sacrifices around a third of the damage if otherwise at 150% maximum life which puts me at around 4.5k life.
So what changes are being made to make armor and evasion useful things to invest in instead of just nice bonuses to have around? As it currently stands with armor and evasion sometimes you just run into things that just kill you and they're worthless.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info