Damage Over Time Changes - Part 1

ok, 3am, head is fuzzy, not entirely sure I fully gasp the entire thing, but a few thoughts on what seemed to be whats going on...

Its still double dipping, essentially, and for ignite I feel like thats fine but for poison I think this fails to fix one of the main things I felt was wrong with the system, it might fix the damage, might, but...

Ok, so if I have a physical attack, scale physical attack damage and then poison from that I need to invest in separate poison boosting mechanics that only scale my poison. However, if I have a chaos attack and poison from that then the increases to chaos im scaling my main hit from also increase my poison, the poison is no longer based off this increased hit, but they still double dip in that it increases both portions of the damage, youve sort of taken out the triple dip but not the double dip. So a Wither totem will still scale both my main hit and my poison now IF I hit with a chaos damage attack, if I hit with a physical damage attack it will only scale the poison...

So poison is still shit for a physical scaled build compared to a chaos scaled build right? If you build physical weapon damage with a physical weapon you are still "doing it wrong" and the "correct" way to build it is added chaos gem, added chaos on gear, chaos passives, wilther totem etc.

I thought the whole idea of poison was to give us a new way to scale physical damage without needing elemental? But then you sabotaged that before it was even a thing by allowing chaos damage to double dip, and now you are changing DOT mechanics but they still double dip, you are still keeping the core mechanic which destroyed the intention of poison and that still leaves us in a position where you need to use elemental to scale a physical scaling build? Am I reading that correct or is it just way too late and Ive completely missed whats going on with the changes?

I dunno, obviously early days but it seems to me like all this does is make double dipping even more essential, that its simply a power reduction in practice without REALLY changing the core of how this works so now you will be forced more than ever into investment in double dipping damage scaling which pushes physical poison further out of the picture in favour of direct chaos damage attacks. I find that a bit disappointing if Im being honest.
Awesome!
Sounds like a itemization crunch to further slow down people gearing, as they will be forced to look for more SPECIFIC GEAR MODS. Not GOOD

Also will now physical damage on wands and daggers actually affect physical damage spells? As they will now be getting royally screwed on stacking mods for damage over time. Never understood how that didn't already affect them but /shrug. LOL

Personally very against these changes, poison and bleed are getting royally screwed all over, forcing people into certain damage types that agree very very limited on the tree to begin with, and with life builds still screwed.
IGN:Axe_Crazy
so monster will no change on bleed

how about minion ?
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
ok, 3am, head is fuzzy, not entirely sure I fully gasp the entire thing, but a few thoughts on what seemed to be whats going on...

Its still double dipping, essentially, and for ignite I feel like thats fine but for poison I think this fails to fix one of the main things I felt was wrong with the system, it might fix the damage, might, but...

Ok, so if I have a physical attack, scale physical attack damage and then poison from that I need to invest in separate poison boosting mechanics that only scale my poison. However, if I have a chaos attack and poison from that then the increases to chaos im scaling my main hit from also increase my poison, the poison is no longer based off this increased hit, but they still double dip in that it increases both portions of the damage, youve sort of taken out the triple dip but not the double dip. So a Wither totem will still scale both my main hit and my poison now IF I hit with a chaos damage attack, if I hit with a physical damage attack it will only scale the poison...

So poison is still shit for a physical scaled build compared to a chaos scaled build right? If you build physical weapon damage with a physical weapon you are still "doing it wrong" and the "correct" way to build it is added chaos gem, added chaos on gear, chaos passives, wilther totem etc.

I thought the whole idea of poison was to give us a new way to scale physical damage without needing elemental? But then you sabotaged that before it was even a thing by allowing chaos damage to double dip, and now you are changing DOT mechanics but they still double dip, you are still keeping the core mechanic which destroyed the intention of poison and that still leaves us in a position where you need to use elemental to scale a physical scaling build? Am I reading that correct or is it just way too late and Ive completely missed whats going on with the changes?

I dunno, obviously early days but it seems to me like all this does is make double dipping even more essential, that its simply a power reduction in practice without REALLY changing the core of how this works so now you will be forced more than ever into investment in double dipping damage scaling which pushes physical poison further out of the picture in favour of direct chaos damage attacks. I find that a bit disappointing if Im being honest.

alright im not sure how much I am correct here by just looking at the upcoming patch, but the new change that's happening is that poison is considered as 'ailments' now.

If I understand the mechanism correctly, it means that now that it can not stack on each other
One of the biggest problem was that poison stacks, and the addded up damage was too massive.
Now, it cannot add up on top of each other.

As I said, im not sure if I am correct, but if that is true, this will be a major nerf to poison damage
Last edited by exoded on Apr 26, 2017, 10:43:59 PM
"
Rory wrote:
have been doubled.

And they doubled it! D3 power opopie
In the last 6 years of playing, GGG, i have finally come to post about something.

I extremely love to hear about these changes, furthermore, the new support gems associated to Bleeding/Poisons/Ignites. However, my only concern with this is that only melee tags would be on the bleed gems, and by god i've wanted to play a bleeding physical spell build for 3 of the 6 years i've been playing. also, would like to see a way to convert elemental damages to physical. i mean, why not?
Especially with these new changes, i could see that being a LOT less OP than it would be if you could already do this in game, with the current state of gameplay.

Idk if ill get/see any reply or answer to this, but hopefully you guys see this, and consider my request. i have loved this game for years now, i don't feel entitled to any response though, i just really hope it means at least something to somebody at GGG. i love you all, cheers, and thank you.
New Keystone HYPUU!
Balance is an illusion, exile.
Question:
Since the secondary effect no longer rely on the first hit,
do they still inherit "tags" like they used to be?

Take Poison for example, before 3.0, if they are applied by an AoE skill they will have the AoE tag on them.
That is, the Poison inflict by projectiles can be scaled by projectile damage, the poison inflicted by aoe can be scaled by aoe, etc.

BTW, for those people that complaining about GGG buffing the base DoT damage.
Have you ever thoroughly think about it?
Lets take poison for example, if they kept the old number, that is like sacrificing one socket for '8% More' modifier, while other existing gems gives you 'at least 19% more'.
Furthermore, if you take into account that the DoT no longer benefits from the 'hit', which means that what scales the hit does not essentially scale the Dot. That means using a poison gem on a linked socket will likely only give you a 2~4% more damage modifier.
Last edited by NomuraSho on Apr 26, 2017, 11:19:42 PM
Concerning Ignite: For fire based spellcasters - although both are (too) powerful - crit and non-crit are equally appealing options, because both have two ways to scale their damage (initial hit damage and multi for crit and ignite damage for noncrit). The Ignite system you propose only allows one dimensional scaling and thus will either be extremly powerful early on or will get outscaled very fast by crit based builds which ignore ignite. How will you counteract that problem?
Last edited by chrissilol on Apr 26, 2017, 10:42:32 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info