Damage Over Time Changes - Part 1

Rather than trying to make all these DOTs equal but coming from different damage types (which seems to be a trend towards making everything so similar that it might actually be kind of boring)...why not differentiate these damage types by further focusing on what makes the damage types special? In other games fire damage is typically the highest source of damage and can cause damage over time. Cold damage is favored by people who like crowd control....electrical by people who like to stun etc. Poison could be differentiated by having special status effects such as slow, or causing the enemy to be weaker or perhaps causing damage over time. These could be effects that the player chooses to focus on by using passives on the tree to modify the type of effect the poison will cause.
yikes.. so to build dot builds we need will have to path separately in the passive tree now? So its safe to say weapon elemental damage will be the safe starter to end game builds?
Ok, after reading all, i have only 2 questions:

1) Will you guys balance end-game bosses based in this changes? Based in the current resistances and "inmunities" of Guardians, Shaper and Uber Atziri, it looks like there will be less builds able to fight them, and i hope you guys don't want to push people to expend even more to clear that kind of content.

2) If you guys are creating a new Keystone, modifying passive skills and creating new support skill gems to help the new balance with Poison, Bleed and Ignite, how this is going to affect current unique items and normal bases? Are you adding more options to this items or creating new bases and unique to help this purpose?

Finally, i would like to say thanks for your hard work.
RIP, double-dipping. Your days of trivializing all content are numbered.
https://redd.it/p0hyul
I like the changes, though now Guardians/Shaper will be even more difficult to clear than they already are without double dipping mechanics. Is there going to be a rebalance for end game content?
The most obvious question is; "When is 3.0 Beta, and who will have access to it?"
Why make it that complex? why not keep them totally separate so that chaos damage only affect the initial hit and overtime/poison affects the poison same goes for fire/burn That way there would be no double dipping at all and it would presumably be a lot easier to balance and a lot easier to understand.
"I'm afraid if I stop drinking the cumulative hangover will kill me" ~ Sterling Archer
IGN: Angryweasel / PopTheWeasel
"
Bleeding is also being changed for players so that it does more damage while the target is stationary, making it a more versatile source of damage. Previously it dealt only one sixth its damage while the target was stationary, but will now deal half damage instead. The ratio will remain unchanged for Bleeding caused by monsters, so will still be able to stand still to mitigate the majority of monster Bleeding damage, but monsters you inflict Bleeding on won't be so lucky.

The sentence i underline have a problem.I checked WIKI,the answer is under below

"
Bleed deals physical damage over time. The amount is based on the physical damage of the hit that caused it: 10% per second if the target is standing still, and an additional 50% per second (for a total of 60% per second) if the target is moving.

Also

"
The goal for Ignite is to have it be a far more reliable ailment for Fire Damage characters without heavy investment resistance reduction and double dipping mechanics, while still allowing for a focussed Ignite damage build.

this paragraph is quite confused me, as a English seconed language speaker i really dont get what you want to say.

The entire news is too complex, hope could simplify little bit.
I undersant there is a huge change for you, but if you could post out math equation that will help usto undersand very easylily.

Last edited by tomtong1995 on Apr 26, 2017, 11:10:07 PM
So, I guess the big question now is what happens with DoT and modifiers to Trap/Mine/Totem/Proj/Area damage, or even Spell damage with Vortex/ED.
My builds: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1641740
My 6link collection: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1656425
The proof of the pudding is in the bleeding.
"People ask me why I do this at my age. People are rude."

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info