Lightning Strike

it was you who said that dagger dmg nodes are melee modifiers.

bit strange if crit dagger nodes would affect the projectiles and and dmg dagger nodes not.

may i ask how you know all that stuff?
Last edited by Baki on Oct 23, 2012, 7:13:35 AM
no i meant this part...
"
Baki wrote:
2)One handed Damage Nodes: "x% increased physical Damage with one handed melee weapons"?
you answered yourself there, so not sure why you needed to ask question in first place.

anyways, the game is extremely literal and tells "some" things while also looking around on the forums for answers too. then there is plain logic of reading correctly. if your character equips a dagger, he isn't going to be throwing them... and anything that JUST says "damage" for what it is boosting, then it is everything that is boosted.

well crit dagger nodes will affect the projectiles because the entire skill makes a crit, not one part or the other (unless you're not hitting a foe and just sending out the bolts). all skills work that way via crit and for this skill specifically as a bonus, if the melee hits then the bolts always hit.
Last edited by soul4hdwn on Oct 23, 2012, 4:09:50 PM
i do not think its as obvious as you claim it to be.

a few patches ago all those modifiers increased the projectile damage and now they do not.

melee modifiers are what ggg declares as such in the code and not what we might guess by reading the decription.
I had a longer response but lost it during the breif period the site was down for the patch, so here's the quick version.
"
Baki wrote:
What exactly are melee modifiers?
Pretty much ones which say they apply to "melee damage".
"
Baki wrote:
1)Dmg from Str? If yes, will Iron Grip take effect?
Yes, and Yes.
"
Baki wrote:
2)One handed Damage Nodes: "x% increased physical Damage with one handed melee weapons"?
No. Lightning Strike's projectiles aren't dealing "melee damage" because they're projectiles, not melee, but they are dealing the damage of your weapon, which is a melee weapon, regardless of how you're using it. This stat is explicitly asking about a property of the weapon used to deal the damage, not the damage itself.
"
Baki wrote:
3)Dagger Damage Nodes?
Same as 2
"
Baki wrote:
4)Dagger Crit Nodes?
Same as 3

The change was that specifically "Melee Damage" used to mean any damage dealt with a melee weapon, and now means any damage dealt by a melee weapon which isn't projectile damage, because it doesn't make sense for something to be both "projectile damage" and "melee damage".
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Oct 23, 2012, 7:02:49 PM
Thanks for the clarification, mark!
So, in short, to maximize damage with a Dagger, get all the Dagger Nodes, and all the projectile Damage nodes?
With LS, I mean.
Zaanus:
Global chat: Mechanics for A work one way, B for another, C for a third but also with A, B uses C but not A, and D uses A&B but not C

___
Isn't a "no" better than an ignore?
and one handed dmg nodes. in short: all the typical shadow nodes affect LS dmg. well, okay, not the Str nodes.
Well, I understood it that way that melee damage nodes wouldn't affect the lightning, but the dagger damage.
Also, I think someone asked that already, I can't find it, though.
Will the lightning count as "Dagger"; as in, if I have the passive to poison enemies on crit, will the lightning also poison?
Zaanus:
Global chat: Mechanics for A work one way, B for another, C for a third but also with A, B uses C but not A, and D uses A&B but not C

___
Isn't a "no" better than an ignore?
in my understanding marks answer was pretty clear:

Dagger nodes are not a melee modifier and therefore they will affect the projectile damage.

But i'm not a native english speaker so i could be wrong :D
To put it in short, basically the only thing that does NOT affect LS projectile damage is

1. the bonus %melee physical damage from Str
2. the support gems %melee physical damage and melee damage on full life

Everything else that I can discern from the passive skill tree is all %increased physical damage with weapons.

For instance, %increased physical damage with one-handed melee weapons and %increased physical damage with daggers.

Hence all that affects LS projectile damage as well.

and undead, yes i believe LS projectiles when crit-ing will poison the enemy. I've seen the poison animation before on oak after i crit him at a distance.

That said, because LS projectiles deal 30% less damage than your initial hit, and with LMP that penalty gets worse, and the poison only deals 10% of your projectile crit damage, the poison damage isn't all that high at all
Build of the Week 14
The first Righteous Fire/Non-Shavronne's/Shavronne's HC
Shameless self-proclaimed theory-crafting extraordinaire and forum crusader

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info