Prophecy as a Core Game Mechanic

That´s not a good idea to take this in the coregame.
I have 6 - 6-link item´s in 2 months without great efforts and have further 3-6link provided in form of cards. Mostly with this Prophcystuff. My first 6 link needs a Year in 2013. This is not the right way.
Last edited by KlausKleenex on Aug 10, 2016, 5:14:37 AM
Perandus should be added to the core too :)
"
ELEKTROLL wrote:
hm not too happy about this :/ I only activated prophecies like twice because they disturb the flow of the game too much for me, now it'll always feel like I'm missing out on something... this might honestly be a game breaker for me

no one forces you to do them. and they are not necessary to gain anything.
Warning! A wall of text has appeared. I will try to write my thoughts down so it can be used as feedback! I will include a TL:DR In the end.

I will be comparing my favorite league, Beyond, to my least favorite league, Prophecy. I will try to compare them as in: What did I enjoy about these two leagues? What did I dislike about them? And the reasons for these thoughts.

What a league should be in my opinion?

A league should be made in such a way, that it affects the core of the game as a whole with minimal input (extra effort, such as backtracking or switching prophecies in and out), and still provide an exciting mechanic to the process of playing the game, meaning leveling, mapping and the very endgame.

I absolutely loved Beyond league for this reason. The only way for me to manipulate how many mobs from the beyond I wanted to tackle at once, was to gather mobs together and then kill them in a big pile. The mobs provided a challenge, randomness to keep it fresh and very dangerous surprising moments. (Reflect pre-nerf was still a thing). The mobs provided extra experience, extra loot and If I remember correctly they dropped maps by the time Beyond was still a fresh league. We had interesting mobs and stories from other players of the famed Abaxoth and how they got destroyed by it, or defeated it. The Beyond mechanic did not get in the way of playing the game, no extra effort was required! You go in, you enjoy it, and you build your character in such a way, that it can survive it.

During the time of Beyond, I did not enjoy getting ass-blasted by a sudden ele-reflect beyond mob that just popped out of the ground, but this ''issue'' has been addressed as of now.

Now.. If you read that, you can pretty much guess why I didn't like Prophecy League in the least. The most fun I had was rolling Twinned Bazaar map, with Possessed Foe-Prophecy and rolling Torment on the map for a loot pinata. This required a lot of effort if done self found, Backtracking and completing completely useless prophecies to get to the desired ones and most of all, Prophecy was leaning more towards trading as a mechanic than the game play experience.

Believe it or not, I enjoy trading in PoE. ''Sounds of horror fill the crowd'' And it is mostly what I did in this league, because the League itself did not offer me anything new from the standard or hc league when it comes to game play, IF I didn't go out of my way to craft the experience by grinding prophecies. Even this could be alright, but seeing that purple bar on my screen pop in and pop out extremely slow, blocking my view, and hearing the same quotes got so very old very fast. In the end I didn't want to log in to see or hear that anymore. So, I stopped playing the league before 1/2 of the league was done.

If major changes in the fluidity of acquiring a prophecy from the girl doesn't become a smoother experience then it will remain as a dreaded undesired addition for me. Even Nemesis league was a lot of fun, even tho it wasn't so very complicated and rewarding as Beyond, because it provided this extra layer of surprise, challenge and at times, unfair situations.

TL:DR. (League should affect the game play while you play without the player having to craft the experience for himself) Killing extra mobs while playing at any level is fun. // Backtracking and shuffling through 80% of useless crap is not fun.

Last edited by Thejunior on Aug 10, 2016, 5:17:19 AM
Seems to me that the Core game needs some love. After I switched to playing new content leagues, I never looked back. That is pretty sad.

I often entertain the idea of playing some standard, and then I immediately shoot the idea down. What incentive is there to playing standard... at all?
Derp
I cannot understand all of the cry babies.
"Prophecy affects the core game",
"Prophecy has backtracking",
"Useless prophecy shits" and so on.

Bitch, no one is fucking making you do prophecies. Just skip the damn coins and continue with your buthurt playstyle.
Beyond league was fucking annoying. Because the core gameplay was changed. Prophecy changes nothing and is only affecting the players that desire to go that route. So stop crying.
Out standing this from GGG

very happy you are leaving this awesome mechanic in the game

and so happy she will be in the hide out were i'd want her for practicallities sake :)

As for reach i hope your going to make the current bow legacy and then adjust the new bow and not make the mistakes you made changing every item that converted to damage to chaos
PLLLLLLLEASE keep reach as is for legacy purposes, and only change new versions :(
"
Crithos wrote:
I dislike prophecy because it creates a false need in your mind to log in and do them, as if they were dailies in an mmo.

So many of them are worthless and you end up wasting so much time accomplishing nothing. Hardly any of them, IF ANY AT ALL, are challenging OR rewarding.

What a waste of time.

If prophs put you under pressure, how do you like master dailies?

Great move GGG!

I don't understand the backtracking whiners. Seal the prophs, ignore them or just invest the 5 mins (max) to kill kadaka and kuduku, clear southern forest or whatever. IMO running gorge all day is a lot more mindnumbing than going to a different area once in a while.
"
xpldngmn wrote:
"
Crithos wrote:
I dislike prophecy because it creates a false need in your mind to log in and do them, as if they were dailies in an mmo.

So many of them are worthless and you end up wasting so much time accomplishing nothing. Hardly any of them, IF ANY AT ALL, are challenging OR rewarding.

What a waste of time.

If prophs put you under pressure, how do you like master dailies?

Great move GGG!

I don't understand the backtracking whiners. Seal the prophs, ignore them or just invest the 5 mins (max) to kill kadaka and kuduku, clear southern forest or whatever. IMO running gorge all day is a lot more mindnumbing than going to a different area once in a while.

+1

I don't understand the arguments against Prophecy. Most seem to be I don't like it so no one should be able to access it.

Most of my favourite Prophecys involve backtracking, and I've found plenty of decent loot while in lower level zones.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info