Lacerate

"
Tykero wrote:
"
"
Is it intended or a bug that non-axe/swords in the off-hand are still used in the swing? Prior to testing, my expected result was that it would work similar to southpaw Reave where if you use a non-compatiable off-hand, it would act just as a stat stick, give you pseudo dual wield and the main hand would attack twice. But with Lacerate, the off-hand is used regardless of the weapon type. I tested this by having a strong 1h axe equipped and a 10 DPS dagger in the off-hand, it definitely uses the dagger in the second swing. Is this intended or a bug?

My understanding is that this is VERY MUCH INTENDED. This effect is what give Lacerate a distinction over Reave. You can Southpaw reave, but not so with Lacerate.

To be honest, I still have no idea why I would play this skill over reave. To me Reave is superior in every way. Including the use of Vaal Reave to get ridiculous AOE.

Just not sure why they would make this skill and what function/playstyle it serves that Reave already does not.

Lacerate works with 2H swords and axes. If you're using 1H swords with Lacerate, you should probably just be using Reave instead. Two-handed Swords and Axes benefit quite well from Lacerate. Lacerate also covers a greater area than Reave if you don't have Vaal Reave stacks up, and gains a greater AoE as it levels up or gains quality, which allows you to cover a nice amount of distance without having to travel to the blue section of the tree. Reave depends more heavily, therefore, on other sources of AoE in order to hit a greater area, which is somewhat restrictive. Reave does have the advantage of Vaal Reave to circumvent some of this, but that restricts playstyle quite a bit, demanding an attack at least once every three seconds to keep rolling. I feel like they each have their own good niche.

That being said, Lacerate attacking with your off-hand weapon even if it doesn't meet the weapon restrictions is almost certainly a bug. Switching the hands around results in correct behavior (only the sword/axe will be used to attack if the sword/axe is in the offhand), but if the sword/axe is in the mainhand, incorrect weapons will still attack if placed in the offhand. This is actually problematic for weapons such as Scaeva.

Is this really happening? I am using Scaeva and ungil's in offhand and the animation of attacking seems to be using both weapons although the tooltip only uses the Scaeva stats. I am confused.
I'm a forum warrior, i was born to post, raised to defend my league. Now my post has been removed, chained and exiled by mods who Ban. Ban is my brother; i do not fear it. I see it in the eyes of men and beasts that i troll. It will take me to play the actual game when i am ready and i am not ready.
Seems you guys are right. Found this on reddit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUcO1GbsU2I&feature=youtu.be
I'm a forum warrior, i was born to post, raised to defend my league. Now my post has been removed, chained and exiled by mods who Ban. Ban is my brother; i do not fear it. I see it in the eyes of men and beasts that i troll. It will take me to play the actual game when i am ready and i am not ready.
Had GGG said the off-hand bug will be fix in the future?
I mean this is certainly a bug right, but i didnt see any reply from GG yet.
Very underwhelming, at least on a low level character, the animation and the travel speeds are too slow and the area it covers is too narrow, I'm better off just spamming cleave for packs and double strike for single targets to be honest. Using sword and board by the way, it's kinda sad how the new sword skill is very mediocre compared to sunder and earthquake.

That to say, I don't want the skill to be a super ranged attack, melee builds are already suffering with widescreen aoe syndrome with all the recent additions plus good old reave.

And yeah, the skill just feels and look boring to use, the attack speed penalty is harsh.

Would be nice if the skill had some more unique aspects to it, like applying bleeding if both hits connect.
I think the attack speed penality needs to be removed or at least it needs a buff. When you equip Multistrike with a lvl 40 character and use a 1.8 attackspeed rapier, it takes like 1 second to perform the 3 uses of lacerate, which is just to much. Also the damage is really underwhelming, especially when an enemy is not hit by both slash animations.

So all in all I say it needs a serious buff, otherwise people will not use it like many other skills that currently are not in the meta.
So i have played using only this skill until level 76 on my life leech Slayer and here are my thoughts on it, i had aloot of fun using it , the mechanics are pretty good you have to space ur self with each attack wich is very rewarding when done correctly, crossing the "beams" rewards you with extra dmg and that is cool ! I have done all " normal " game content , merciless lab etc.. all without problem but i have to say this skill feels clunky moostly due to the atk speed penalty you feel rooted to the ground and thats not even using multstrike wich is unusable with this skill. In the end the skill is worth only for the coolnes of it there are at least 6 other gems that outperform it and are also cool looking.So in my opnion this skill should be chaged in some way be it removing the atk speed penalty and reducing the damaging of the crossing "beams" or even just reducing the penalty wich in my opnion is to harsh.
Can someone from the dev team inform us if a fix for the lacerate bug is on the way?

Or are you gonna fix it by making it work like cleave aka can't use if offhand isn't sword/axe and are waiting for the next big patch in order to not mess with people's builds this league?
Last edited by Pyrokar on Jul 1, 2016, 8:47:50 AM
cool skill, enjoy it, sort of, few issues. This is what Ive been playing with it on...

Gladiator Lacerate lvl91

first issue I have with it is the sound. Obviously the bug is fixed but its lacerate, Im expecting metallic swooshing and slicing. thats not how it sounds, it sounds like hitting a coconut with a broom stick, tok tok tok tok tok tok, its really off putting tbh.

The damage is just too underwhelming too. As ppl have said the attack speed penalty is way too harsh. the shotgun area does slightly more damage than reave, the rest of the area does significantly less damage than reave and reave has about twice as much area coverage plus it animation locks you less. This skill just cant compete at all with the likes of reave, frost blades, earth quake, basically all the melee skills that can in any way compete with bows and casters leave this skill in the dust.

I tried it while leveling with a 2h char in prohecy, the attack speed was just awful, that combined with the sound effects made the skill feel really terrible to play honestly even when i had multistrike and faster attacks equipped. It feels clunky and wooden, it makes a wooden clunking sound when you hit something and it just doesnt do anywhere near enough damage to make up for the tiny amount of area thats actually being shotgunned. If it didnt shotgun and instead did the shotgun damage to the entire area it hits I still dont think it would be doing enough damage to justify itself over reave and fblades given how much more they clear with a single hit while having a 30% less animation lock time on every attack.

lacerate
[verb las-uh-reyt; adjective las-uh-reyt, -er-it]
verb (used with object), lacerated, lacerating.
1.to tear roughly; mangle:
The barbed wire lacerated his hands.

Can anyone explain to me why this doesnt work with claws?
The fact Lacerate (you know, being 'lacerations' that cause bleeding) does not even so much have a % chance to Bleed enemies (that scales with the Gem's level) makes this Skill Gem very lackluster.

Not only that, Lacerate, when supported by Multistrike, keeps you in the animation longer than any other Melee Skill supported by Multistrike. Every other Melee Skill can perform a whole animation in roughly 0.2 seconds when supported by Multistrike while Lacerate feels like 0.5 seconds to a whole 1 second.

The most annoying thing about Lacerate above all?
Lacerate attacks everywhere, jumping from one pack to another, just like zakariusqc said on Page 3. That then causes a scenario where if there are other enemies surrounding a particular small group of enemies or a boss you are focused on, you are inadvertently dealing less damage to your main target(s) as a result of that!

Conclusively. this is one of the most poorly implemented new Skill Gems that falls very short (other than its awesome animation) I have seen in a long time. How can you make one aspect of Lacerate awesome being its animation, and the rest of it not even so much just a cut below awesome?

Please fix this Skill Gem. Thank you.
HeavyMetalGear
When game developers ignore the criticism that would improve their game, the game fails.
Just because a game receives a great amount of praise vs. only a small amount of criticism
does not mean to call it a day and make a foolish misplaced assumption that it is perfect.
(me)
Last edited by HeavyMetalGear on Jul 24, 2016, 7:53:50 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info