Temporal Chains

I've found that certain issues with semantics in this game can be very confusing for a player that hasn't researched them. Throughout the past month or so I've slowly discovered, or sought to discover, the subtle or not-so-subtle differences implied by various phrasings, such as:

- "more" vs. "increased"
- "dealt" vs. "taken" (slightly more obvious, but still potentially confusing with regards
to Vulnerability and Avenger's vs. Surgeon's mods)
- "attacks" vs. "spells" vs. "skills" (specifically with regards to Enfeeble's reduction
and the word "attacks" in Vulnerability's description; I've yet to determine with certainty
exactly what is affected by Enfeeble)

And now I'm undergoing an as-of-yet unsuccessful study to determine with certainty whether Temporal Chains affects Puncture (the wiki (http://en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/Temporal_Chains) just exacerbated my uncertainty). If it does, I would suggest rewording "Other Buffs and Debuffs on Cursed enemies expire 50% slower" to "Other effects on Cursed enemies expire 50% slower" based on the assumption that the wiki is correct in stating that the DoTs created by Puncture and Viper Strike are NOT buffs or debuffs (http://en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/Buff).

Also slightly confusing is that DoTs apparently expire more slowly, but deal the same amount of damage per second, effectively increasing the damage taken.

"
Vipermagi wrote:
Temporal Chains only makes buffs and debuffs last longer, like it says in the description. It does not change anything about their behaviour. Viper Charges deal X damage per second, and will continue to do so.

While I like this effect, it just doesn't seem to fit with the idea of time passing more slowly, and is difficult to infer from the description.

Also, this:

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Changed to "Other Buffs and Debuffs on Cursed enemies expire X% slower" for clarity

For clarity's sake, you might also insert "other" in the gem description above, where it says, "Curses all targets in an area, making time pass more slowly for them. They will move, attack and cast at a reduced speed, and effects on them will expire more slowly."
Last edited by YeeepaNo199061 on Apr 26, 2013, 3:52:29 AM
"
And now I'm undergoing an as-of-yet unsuccessful study to determine with certainty whether Temporal Chains affects Puncture... If it does, I would suggest rewording "Other Buffs and Debuffs on Cursed enemies expire 50% slower" to "Other effects on Cursed enemies expire 50% slower" based on the assumption that the wiki is correct in stating that the DoTs created by Puncture and Viper Strike are NOT buffs or debuffs (http://en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/Buff).

Also slightly confusing is that DoTs apparently expire more slowly, but deal the same amount of damage per second, effectively increasing the damage taken.

From the caster's perspective, Puncture and Viper Strike duration are doubled on victims cursed by TC. From the victim's perspective, the DOT duration remains the same. The question is whether the Damage Over Time is applied according to the caster's perception of time or the victim's perception? If the DoT is applied based on the victim's perception of time, TC will not increase the accumulated amount of damage at all.
Duration of DoT increases, but DPS remains the same. So, enemies will take double damage over a doubled period of time (DPS remains the same).
It's nice for burn proliferation and other DoT builds.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
Clarification requested on Maps with Temporal Chains or having TC cast on the player:

Does it decrease the time it takes for buffs to expire?
I.E. do flask effects last 50% longer, Molten Shell, conversion trap lenght, dominating blow length?
"
MBata wrote:
Clarification requested on Maps with Temporal Chains or having TC cast on the player:

Does it decrease the time it takes for buffs to expire?
I.E. do flask effects last 50% longer, Molten Shell, conversion trap lenght, dominating blow length?

Sure, that is what they do. Though, i dont know, if curses from maps apply to your minions as well... If they do, then any buffs on them will expire 50% slower, too.
I, actually, use this benefit when running Temporal Chains map. I have enough time to collect loot and run to another pack without losing charges. A potions last much longer, so they became much more useful and can be used almost indefinitely.
Unlike other curses, temporal chains give benefits as well. It's wise to use this benefits.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
Running a build that has 155% passive run speed and able to achieve 222% max speed.

getting hit by temporal chains reduce's my speed to around 80-90% and max speed feels feels like 100-120% when going at top speed.... not to mention this ability slow's attack/cast and if it is combined with Frostbite you wont be able to move until you get rid of the curses which will be re-cast the moment you do, it is extremely usefull in arena's and perhaps a bit too convenient since it increases your team's survival and reduce's the survival/damage/movement of your enemy so i hope to see a nerf on this otherwise i will overuse it.

don't forget it is a great ability to combine with puncture/viper strike

so the ultimate 3v3 team would more or less be a viper+puncture - trap + ranged - curse + frost

i hope that temporal chain's will receive a just nerf, not so it becomes useless but just so that even after the curse lasts the entire fight it will only cripple your foe and not turn him into a helpless fool
Sorry to recapitulate but:

I'm using a Chilling spell and 2 other curses, does it matter _when_ I cast Temporal Chains with regards to the chill effect and 2 other curses lasting longer, or is it simply always for the 5-5.5 seconds that Temp Chains is on the mobs?
Curses take effect when they are applied. This also applies for existing effects.
So, no. It doesn't matter. :)
Skill is too OP. Should be reduced by about 50% effectiveness at max level.
IGN: lVlage (96 Witch)
"
jrk2f9 wrote:
So I've been trying to figure out exactly how the slow is applied to mobs, and I haven't been able to find a GGG post to clarify. As I see it, it could be applied in one of two ways (using attacks per second for illustrative purposes):

Cursed APS = APS / (1 + slow%)

So in other words, a hypothetical 100% slow would make them attack half as fast.

Or:

Cursed APS = APS * (1 - slow%)

In which our hypothetical 100% slow would serve as a "time-stop" on the mob.

The second way is, of course, better and the more obvious reading of the ability, so that's the assumption I've been working under. It would be nice to know for certain, however.

This still hasn't been answered, wondering if anyone knows.

Also, how does Temporal Chains stack with chill? Say TC makes the victim 40% 'slower', whatever that means. If they are also chilled (30% slower), do they become 70% slower, or are the slowing effects combined in some other way?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info